• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    this does not conflict with private property rights. they still have the ability to refuse weapons from the property. but in doing so they are no longer immune from liability for someone being injured as a result.

I agree...

property owner has the right, but is still responsible if something happens..now, if they had security or something to protect (sign for wet floors as an ex) then they aren't or at least limited their responsible ..you have to minimize the risk or show an effort of doing such.

Starbucks is/was a gun free zone, so if anything happens....they can be held responsible...but you better have good lawyers to go after them for money...

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I think you're conflating rights with motivations for denying them.

It's acceptable for private businesses to prevent someone from making a political speech on their property. What they can't do is deny that privilege based on an immutable characteristic like race, religion, or, in some states, sexual orientation.

Failure to respect private property rights is a tactic that the "other" guys use. And a tactic that I refuse to adopt.

Stop it. They can not ban all expression . The claim that ccw is disruptive is a,non starter. The claim that I can't wear an NRA hat because it's disturptive is problematic because it enforceseems the hecklers veto..

Speech making may ,in fact, be disruptive , but it is a far cry from the conduct ...or rather lack of conduct, under discussion.

To allow such restrictions on self defense , absent a viable showing of harm to the business, is non tenable, and grantees it's second class status.

Moreover,the need to defend oneself is not deferable. Irreparable harm,in the form of death or grave injury, can befall a victim as a result of such forced delay of exercising that right.

No such claim can be made with respect to political speech, yet another reason why time place and manner restrictions do not, a priori ,eviscerate the right.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i like the state sticking it to anti's, but not a fan of more govt regs and oversight.

curious, what happens or can happen currently if a customer is injured during a robbery or the like? do stores/businesses have some blanket immunity where 3rd parties (criminals) come in and injure their customers?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I think you're conflating rights with motivations for denying them.

It's acceptable for private businesses to prevent someone from making a political speech on their property. What they can't do is deny that privilege based on an immutable characteristic like race, religion, or, in some states, sexual orientation.

Failure to respect private property rights is a tactic that the "other" guys use. And a tactic that I refuse to adopt.

Rights is rights.

Civil Rights Definition
    1. the personal rights of the individual citizen, in most countries upheld by law, as in the US.
    Collins English Dictionary
    civil rights
    Civil rights are the rights that people have in a society to equal treatment and equal opportunities, whatever their race, sex, or religion.
    COBUILD Advanced British English Dictionary

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    In my opinion this is the wrong approach. Since I imagine that this law applies almost entirely to "places" that one voluntary enters, just don't go in if you don't feel safe. There is no need to pass costs on to business owners (even ones I disagree with) because of the actions of others.

It would seem that the real purpose is to dissuade the use of gfz signs in the first place.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Stop it. They can not ban all expression . The claim that ccw is disruptive is a,non starter. The claim that I can't wear an NRA hat because it's disturptive is problematic because it enforceseems the hecklers veto..

Speech making may ,in fact, be disruptive , but it is a far cry from the conduct ...or rather lack of conduct, under discussion.

To allow such restrictions on self defense , absent a viable showing of harm to the business, is non tenable, and grantees it's second class status.

Moreover,the need to defend oneself is not deferable. Irreparable harm,in the form of death or grave injury, can befall a victim as a result of such forced delay of exercising that right.

No such claim can be made with respect to political speech, yet another reason why time place and manner restrictions do not, a priori ,eviscerate the right.

I have no idea what you said...back to reading the dictionary. Sigh

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Slow your roll, guys. The new TN law does *not* create liability for property owners who post as gun-free zones. That was the original bill. There was an amendment that pretty much completely changed the character. What went into effect was a *civil liability shield* for property owners that *could* post but chose not to - basically, anti-gunners now can't sue someone for NOT posting as a gun free zone.

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/Billinfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=SB1736&ga=109

ON MARCH 16, 2016, THE SENATE ADOPTED AMENDMENT #1 AND PASSED SENATE BILL 1736, AS AMENDED.

AMENDMENT #1 rewrites this bill to provide immunity from civil liability to a person, business, or other entity that owns, controls, or manages property and has the authority to prohibit weapons on that property by positing under present law, with respect to any claim based on the person's, business's, or other entity's failure to adopt such a policy. This amendment will not apply to a person, business, or other entity whose conduct or failure to act is the result of gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct.

https://legiscan.com/TN/bill/SB1736/2015

Summary
    As enacted, provides immunity from civil liability to a person, business, or other entity that owns, controls, or manages property and has the authority to prohibit weapons on that property by positing, with respect to any claim based on the person's, business's, or other entity's failure to adopt such a policy. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

In my opinion this is the wrong approach. Since I imagine that this law applies almost entirely to "places" that one voluntary enters, just don't go in if you don't feel safe. There is no need to pass costs on to business owners (even ones I disagree with) because of the actions of others.

What about places like Pizza Hut that don't allow delivery drivers to carry for protection, if they do they get fired.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok, I understood Brooklyn. But the point would be more accessible to the masses with variations of " Substitute the Noun ", Bill of Rights edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom