• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    What have you found to be the most accurate in the H&R Utlra Slug Gun?

20 gauge Ultra with the Bull Barrel.

I need to get this shit gun sighted in and some say The "lightfields"

Some say the "Remington Accu tip"

So lets here it what is the consensus Here??????

All opinions welcome

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    In my opinion, Lightfields are the universal go to slug for the H&R. I would be very surprised if they did not shoot well. That said, they are an old design and there are a lot of more modern slugs out there. Inside of 100 yards though, they cause enough damage that I don't feel the need for anything else; they really dump a lot of energy into deer inside of 100. If I want to be able to shoot out past 125 yards then, in my opinion, there are better slugs out there if you can get them to shoot.

Most of my hunting group uses H&R's in 20 gauge. They all shoot Lightfields accurately enough to take deer out to 100 yards. Other than Lightfields, each of our guns prefers different slugs. My gun throws Hornady SSTs into more of a pattern than a group, whereas my buddies gun shoots them great.

I have tested well over a dozen slugs in 2-3/4" and 3" length. My gun does best with the Remington Accutips. From a bench, I can consistently keep 3-shot groups at around 1". Lightfields in my H&R are about 1.5" to 1.75" with a slight edge going to the 3" shell over the 2-3/4".

I would recommend you start with the lightfields. I would bet they will be "good enough" and give you a benchmark for which to compare other slugs.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    The best answer is to buy a box of every type of sabot slug you can find and see what groups best in YOUR gun. I have had the best luck with Hornady SST and Remington Core Lokt. Don't know if they make either anymore, but I bought enough to keep me hunting for a long time.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I'm just curious, those of you that say "lightfields" which round are you taking about? As Lightfield is just the brand name.

One of my guns loves the remingtons but then other remingtons it hates. ;)

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I'm just curious, those of you that say "lightfields" which round are you taking about? As Lightfield is just the brand name.

One of my guns loves the remingtons but then other remingtons it hates. ;)

I just grab the 12 ga 2 3/4" lightfeilds. i9 have never had to touch the scope since I have had the gun and I have had it since the year they came out. I never have paid attention to any difference in the lightfeilds other than the 3" gave me a scope cut one wet foggy morning when I got my face to damn close to it.

as a rule anything under 60 yards I do a head shot and I cant ask for anything better than my ultra with lightfeilds in it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is a discussion of "Most Accurate" , there is discussion of " Percieved *best* for hunting (fill in blank) / Darn Good for hunting (blank).

Much developement/ marketing/ hype is devoted to expansion properties of sabot slugs. To my thinking much ado about little importance. ANY 20ga or larger slug properly placed will be plenty potent in terminal effect upon a Whitetail. Accuracy then becomes the variable to chase after. Short answer is whatever is most accurate/ meets your rational accuracy threashold in YOUR gun.

My tastes in sabots is positivly stone age - BRI Origonals ( now mfg by W-W) . From my ( fully rifled 12ga ) gives three shots touching @50yd, not possable to meaningfully improve upon. I would expect similar from 20ga. Yeah, yeah , it's not the latest expanding design of the week. Worst case scenario is equiv performance to cast bullet .45-70 . Good enough to completely penetrate a 1000lb buffalo, not worried about a 100-150lb whitetail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom