• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Actually you're about half wrong about the cane being a bigger target. Half because the stereo typical cane these days for people that are actually in need of one, is the all metal foam handle thing they give out at the hospital. That will paint you as a bigger target.

(snip)

Carry a stick, and be rady to use it, and likely you never will have to. But if you do, you can break the arm or skull of any low life and not have the trouble and legal bills as if you'd shot him. Shoot the little bastid and he's a new matter, but just break his wrist that he's holding the knife in, or lay him out with a headache, and there's no media frenzy.
    9523721754_6d9b9fdd46_c.jpg

It's always right there in hand, even on a walk in the park.
    9710257215_4e212ca025_c.jpg

Don't forget the broken collar bone, very painful. The old guys with real military experience also have "the look" you know they will be trouble.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Those are really nice walking sticks you have there. I looked into a genuine blackthorn of appropriate heft once but damn, were they expensive! I can make ones like I posted previously for $125 all day long but I was having difficulty finding a traditional Irish or Scottish stick for a comparable rate and wasn't about to go with a faux like the lame Cold Steel ones. Suggestions?

cb51

Those are really nice walking sticks you have there. I looked into a genuine blackthorn of appropriate heft once but damn, were they expensive! I can make ones like I posted previously for $125 all day long but I was having difficulty finding a traditional Irish or Scottish stick for a comparable rate and wasn't about to go with a faux like the lame Cold Steel ones. Suggestions?

Try either American hornbeam or hickory. Both tough as iron, and I believe the hornbeam is also known as ironwood, and muscle wood from the ridges in it. Just make sure to dry it for several months down the basement and leave the bark on it. The bark is very thick and has an under layer that is almost impossible to remove without taking a lot of wood off. That's also why you see real blackthorn with the bark always left on. Just polish the bark with 0000 steel wool and use Minwax stain of choice. Seal with Helmsman spar urethane. My favorite two sticks rate the hornbeam. I used one to brain an off leash pit bull that attacked our corgi, and it worked like a charm. Laid the pit bull out and also broke the arm of the owner who attacked me for hitting his out of control dog that had to run 50 yards to attack us.

I believe Teddy Roosevelt said it all when he quoted a Masai proverb to speak softly and carry a big stick.

14845323208_b80196095d_c.jpg

The second one frm the right is hornbeam from local woods. The third one in from right is hickory from the woods in back of my house. Both were made by digging up by the root and after aging, root knob was sanded and polish so it looks like pipe brier. Very hard wood. The first one on right is a extra heavy blackthorn from a little shop in Dublin, and the owner said it was a fighting stick with an oil finish rather than varnished like the black ones. It's a bit on the heavy side, so it's my woods stick. The one on the far left is a maple that had some very nice grain. I burned my initials into it. The second from the left is a stick I picked up in London, and the shop lady was unsure of what it was, but it looks like blackthorn without the thick black varnish. They take turns leaving the house with me.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Well, is you ever decide to unload one of the particularly dense and heavy ones of ~36" or more, just PM me. Even batter would be a walking staff. Mine are almost bordering on exotic medieval field maces with a pimpified twist. I love the organic, gnarly and knurly "feel" of the ones you have there and so long as they are of a sufficient specific gravity to make flotation dubious, I am certainly interested in taking a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom