• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    For a C$R gun go with a Colt Model M (1903 hammerless). Guns and parts are fairly plentiful and if you're patient it's pretty easy to work on. Teeny sights though. These 3 are early Type I's with the slightly longer barrel which look and feel more balanced to me than the Type II and later (the second pic is a late Type III). Fun to shoot.

Attachments

• T1.jpg
      T1.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 281
    • T3.jpg
      T3.jpg
      86.5 KB · Views: 281

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    For a C$R gun go with a Colt Model M (1903 hammerless). Guns and parts are fairly plentiful and if you're patient it's pretty easy to work on. Teeny sights though. These 3 are early Type I's with the slightly longer barrel which look and feel more balanced to me than the Type II and later (the second pic is a late Type III). Fun to shoot.

Funny how that is with the barrel and grips. The plastic-looking wood grips and longer barrel on the older version are way nicer to my eyes.

Jul 1, 2012
    These early grips were the same goofy hard rubber material they used on the late 1900, 1902's, etc. Many fade to a brownish color though. The wood grips were phased in the early '20's I think. That rubber is some pretty brittle stuff after all these years so not bad idea to swap out for repro grips before shooting 'em. The early guns (pre-1915/16) have a gorgeous finish on them but it's real fragile. It's also almost impossible to photograph properly and still get the fire blue parts to pop.

Attachments

• T3hp.jpg
      T3hp.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 297

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Nice collection!
    I also like the Colt 1903 and the .32's can be found found pretty reasonably. I'm looking for a .380 but they are harder to find and pricey. Just something about these old gangster guns. And they are built like a fine old watch.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I had a .32 ACP Galesi, a PPK copy but striker fired. It was a pre-68 unregistered pistol. It jammed a few times and I let it go. I don't think it needed more than good cleaning and oiling. I doubt it had 30 rounds though it when I inherited it. It was very comfortable in hand. I just considered it too small for an effective HD gun. That was before I ever thought of CCW. Wish I kept it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    When Evan Marshall was doing his stopping power studies he wasn't going to include the 32 ACP. Then he noticed results close to the larger 380 ACP cartridge and decided to include it. It was the Silvertip loading IIRC. Still not a power house nor a first choice but would work as a deep concealment BUG, due to its small size. Choice of gun and load is critical for self defense. Definitely not an 'offensive' round by modern standards.

In any small-medium size gun not much recoil. I haven't shot a micro sized 32 so can't speak for recoil there. With the modern small concealment 380 and even 9 x 19 chambered guns the 32 and its attendant simiar sized guns are rendered unconsidered in that role.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When Evan Marshall was doing his stopping power studies he wasn't going to include the 32 ACP. Then he noticed results close to the larger 380 ACP cartridge and decided to include it. It was the Silvertip loading IIRC. Still not a power house nor a first choice but would work as a deep concealment BUG. Choice of gun and load is critical.

In any small-medium size gun not much recoil.

Yeap, and the Seecamp .32 is because of that.

The original original ones were designed for ONLY Winchester SilverTips.

I always wanted one. Are they on the handgun roster????

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Not sure. A check wouldn't take long. The Seecamp was the pistol I couldn't recall. outstanding reputation IIRC. I have a two 32's from wwwwaaayyy back in the preregistration days (well mine anyway). A 32 revolver and a semi auto 32ACP. Both are curioi's for me. Interesting, antiquey, but not on the hit parade list.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Actually, a little .32 is one of the rarest firearms I own. The almost completely unknown Jager of 1914 is THE FIRST known use of stamped parts in a firearm. It's nearly (but not completely) impossible to find a rifle or pistol today without stamped parts. It took me a long, long time to find one:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There are a lot of very cool and interesting .32 Autos. I really like my CZ 50. I've said before that if I weren't such a cheap miser, I could seriously get into collecting some old .32 Autos.

There are 3 directions I could go with such a collection:

1) Browning designs, which would include both the Colt 1903 and the Browning 1910.

2) "Upside-down pistols", with the barrel positioned below the recoil spring. There have been quite a few of these made by various designers over the years. The Steyr Pieper 1908 is an example, and the Dreyse 1907 would be admitted in spite of it's concentric spring.

3) Any other interesting, quirky, clever, or historically significant thing that appeals to me or falls in my lap. Combloc's Jager from the previous post would fit here, and a decent Ruby example earns a place due to historical significance.

And the foundation for all three directions, and the Urquelle for all .32 Autos, is the FN 1899/1900.

That's what I want.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    These early grips were the same goofy hard rubber material they used on the late 1900, 1902's, etc. Many fade to a brownish color though. The wood grips were phased in the early '20's I think.

Those older-style grips are also wood. I'm certain of it. You can usually see the grain if you remove the grips and look at the back side. The front side has a rubbery type of paint applied, which makes the grips look like plastic.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Actually, a little .32 is one of the rarest firearms I own. The almost completely unknown Jager of 1914 is THE FIRST known use of stamped parts in a firearm. It's nearly (but not completely) impossible to find a rifle or pistol today without stamped parts. It took me a long, long time to find one:

Damn not much left of that gun when you tear it down. I will think twice before complaining about MIM parts again!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I've been looking for a nice Frommer Stop. They look neat and I like the fact that they have an actual bolt and receiver like a miniature rifle. Either .32 or .380 would do. I'll get around to that eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom