• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The oversize piston helps in some cases but what I have found is adding a tensioned load to the gas piston helps. You load the piston by cutting a new bevel on the small piston (operating rod) which allows the op rod to protrude more towards the muzzle. This loads the gas piston and eliminates play. The play can cause gas leakage depending on how consistent the system cycles. This assumes your main gas piston is not corroded.

Go oversized gas valve and if that does not work then perhaps buy a new op rod and experiment with that one as I explained. This works on many yugo sks's that won't cycle.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    The oversize piston helps in some cases but what I have found is adding a tensioned load to the gas piston helps. You load the piston by cutting a new bevel on the small piston (operating rod) which allows the op rod to protrude more towards the muzzle. This loads the gas piston and eliminates play. The play can cause gas leakage depending on how consistent the system cycles. This assumes your main gas piston is not corroded.

Go oversized gas valve and if that does not work then perhaps buy a new op rod and experiment with that one as I explained. This works on many yugo sks's that won't cycle.

So would you recommend the oversized valve from Murray's?

Rockchucker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 1, 2013
    Millersville
    His gas valve is not bad. They seem to erode faster then the factory yugo units do but erosion won't hurt your sks in this situation. I don't like his other sks stuff though.

Is he (Murray) using "soft" stainless steel ?

I thought that the original problem with the original gas valves was directly connected to the Yugo military ammo from the corrosive primers used in these rifles.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Murrays stuff is good, and stainless is important. I'm a big fan of stainless steel.

On the other hand, CNC warrior makes good stuff. never got something from them I wasn't happy with.

Id go with the stainless.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Then again, Clandestine knows his trade, and if he says he's seen them erode quickly, you can bank on it being true.

Maybe they changed to a better stainless recently? Try and find out how hard they make the steel they use, if you can.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Then again, Clandestine knows his trade, and if he says he's seen them erode quickly, you can bank on it being true.

Maybe they changed to a better stainless recently? Try and find out how hard they make the steel they use, if you can.

I think it's 303 but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll shoot them an email and ask.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I had a Murrays valve in one of my Yugos. Worked well. I eventually sold it and didn't have it long, but never had any problems or saw any sign of corrosion while I did. Of course, I am pretty anal about cleaning everything really carefully after I get home from each range trip.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Well I finally got home and had a chance to look at the valve. It is pitted on the underside and there is some pitting around the gas port in the gas block as well. I think I'm going to get one of the stainless oversized valves from Murray's and try that.

6cylrider98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2008
    Bmore Co
    Fixed my friends with a gas tube, it looked ok but when the piston was at the deepest part of the tube that's were it lost pressure. Got a Tapco one, fixed it. Swapped one of mine and it worked fine, so ?? easy swap if you gave one handy..

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Gas tube has little to do with cycling unless something is binding, but if the system is rotted bad it can help in some cases.

Gas Tubes have to be fit where the locking lever is and on Yugos unless you want polymer you have to change the handguard ferrule which is NOT easy.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    The Gas tube has little to do with cycling unless something is binding, but if the system is rotted bad it can help in some cases.

Gas Tubes have to be fit where the locking lever is and on Yugos unless you want polymer you have to change the handguard ferrule which is NOT easy.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that the tube on mine is fine, I think the problem is the pitting on the valve and on the gas block around the port.

6cylrider98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2008
    Bmore Co
    took a few minutes with a file to fit the tube. His would not cycle, and wouldn't eject after the 1st shot. My .02..:-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom