• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    I will be building my first AR in the near future and need some opinions on the quality of a PSA lower parts kit that I am considering. I will be building with a Spikes lower. Please check out the link below and let me know what you think of this kit. The kit is normally $149.99 and on sale for $109.99 and includes MOE stock, grip, trigger guard, etc.. I appreciate any and all opinions on this kit.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/p-tac-ar-15-moe-lower-build-kit.html

CarlosM

Mar 12, 2013
    I will be building my first AR in the near future and need some opinions on the quality of a PSA lower parts kit that I am considering. I will be building with a Spikes lower. Please check out the link below and let me know what you think of this kit. The kit is normally $149.99 and on sale for $109.99 and includes MOE stock, grip, trigger guard, etc.. I appreciate any and all opinions on this kit.

I bought pretty much the same kit but with an upgraded trigger. You can't go wrong with this. I also have a spikes lower.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    The kit is good(I have 2 of them), the MOE grip sucks. skinny and plastic. if you have big hands, go for the blackhawk LPK they have up, if it is still available. the rubberized texture of the blackhawk and the girth make for a better grip. the other parts a fine. I did upgrade my trigger spring with the JP enterprises AR trigger spring from Brownells. Made a big difference and reduced trigger pull. Better then spending $300 on a drop-in trigger... at least until I can afford the drop-in trigger :D

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD

The only clearly subpar component is the buffer tube. Even though it is mil-spec diameter, it's 6061 aluminum tube instead of the stronger and mil-spec 7075 aluminum.

Also, PSA's 7075 tubes have a dry film lubricant in them and their 6061 tubes do not.

7A38

TripleEight

Apr 2, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I used a PSA lower build kit and everything in the kit is good quality. I did polish the machined sections of the trigger and hammer though. Trigger pull was heavy and rough at first but it's good now. The kit in your link says PTAC though, I was under the impression that PTAC is a separate company from PSA, so that may actually be a different lpk than what I have. I've seen people bad-mouth PTAC's uppers on the forum, not sure about the lpk though.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Sick with the PSA brand LPK's. Those PTACS are cheap for a reason.

Also, if you want a decent trigger without spending a few hundred dollars, PSA has a parts kit that includes a ALG QMS trigger for about $80.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Have a QMS in my M4 build, and the ACT in my SPR. the ACT is noticeably nicer, but for a no-******** setup, the QMS is TOUGH to beat. very tough.

CarlosM

Mar 12, 2013
    I didn't realize the ins in the link was the PTAC one. I used the PSA MOE lpk with the QMS trigger. Definitely worth the money.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I asked you guys as I thought PTAC was just a model# and made by PSA. I will make sure to get a PSA parts kit with the QMS trigger.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    if the ACT offering is available, I'd swing the extra few clams for one of those instead. or just get the PSA kit without a fire control group, and snag an ACT from one of the many suppliers whom I know have them in stock (brownell's for instance).

don't get me wrong, the QMS is a great bare-bones setup....but it's ONLY a bare-bones setup. you will DEFINITELY notice the difference between it and the ACT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom