Concealed carry vests - what is the deal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    http://www.haleather.com/ is THE CCW motorcycle vest. top of the line, the genuine article.

ScottEvest is pretty great too, lots of happy customers.

I think that vests look normal if they dont have a ton of pockets. I had a denim vest that I sewed a pocket into the inside for carrying of items. Worked like a charm.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Ding ding!

This is why I pretty much only wear mine to IDPA matches.

Been so happy with the quality of my scottvest though, I've been contemplating buying a jacket I could wear more regularly.

I can never think of a time where my torso was cold but my arms were not.

Even at IDPA I don't wear those stupid vests. I wore a Beretta shotgun vest last match, and in the past I have just worn a long-sleeve shirt.

The only time I've seen people pull of vests and look semi-normal is at punk or metal shows where people cut up shirts and cover them in patches, safety pins, metal studs, etc. Not sure if those are IDPA-legal though.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

Even at IDPA I don't wear those stupid vests. I wore a Beretta shotgun vest last match, and in the past I have just worn a long-sleeve shirt.

The only time I've seen people pull of vests and look semi-normal is at punk or metal shows where people cut up shirts and cover them in patches, safety pins, metal studs, etc. Not sure if those are IDPA-legal though.

I actually wear a down vest sometimes in the winter when I don't want my arms restricted. It's actually very nice.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    If I squint really hard I can imagine a hiker wearing this. I think fleece vests in general look less obvious. You'd probably be fine with an alloy or polymer j frame in the pocket in the elastic loops in the pocket with the thing zipped up. Add a single trekking pole aka "tactical whoopin' stick" and you've completed the ruse.

http://www.botachtactical.com/woel44poflve.html

Smores,
    If it covers the gun, the punk rawk vest would probably be a little more legal than the shotgun vest I saw you in at AAFG the other day. That is, if the wallet chain or other dangly safety pin construction wasn't constantly getting caught up in the trigger guard as you holstered your gun. Though I tend to agree, most vests are competition only accessories anyway as most wouldn't wear them outside the range.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I need a pair of carry speedos for when I'm CC'ing on the beach in florida. what? why is everyone looking at me? what did I say?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Check out Foxcreekleather.com also. Great quality gear and the vests have a pistol pocket in them.

Not to mention they are 100% US made but the OP has already stated that he's not looking for leather.

I agree with Joppaj that a vest will cause someone knowledgeable to notice you. I prefer to be the grey man.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    Honestly, if I see someone wearing a vest that isn't riding a motorcycle, fishing, using a big camera or required to by their job and I assume they're trying to hide something. It's like a fanny pack, it just screams "pay attention to what I'm doing".

That is a very interesting observation. Do you think this is because you are a gun enthusiast that you automatically scan your surroundings? I've never associated a vest with anything out of the ordinary.

I wear a vest almost year round. I like them because they keep me relatively warm without restricting my movement (I'm weird and can't stand anything on my arms like a long sleeve shirt).

This thread has given me quite a few good options. I'm passing on the leather vest (I don't want to look like I'm strolling into the Blue Oyster bar!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdbt-sx5MDc

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

^^^:D
    In years past, I never wore a coat, but, in winter, always had on a down vest. Thank goodness it didn't have one of those very tall collars on it.

My arms very rarely got cold, back then.
    Flannel or corduroy shirt, vest. I'm good-to-go. (Well..... 'was'.):D

I actually wear a down vest sometimes in the winter when I don't want my arms restricted. It's actually very nice.

^^^Agreed.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    As others have already stated, if I see someone in a vest (who isn't on a motorcycle, fishing, or a photographer), wearing a fanny pack, or carrying one of those maxpedition man-purses, it sets off flags in my head.

If they happen to also be a white guy over the age of 40, I consider it all but guaranteed.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    Thanks safetech. I don't use google (they are the evil empire!) but my Yahoo results always turned up tactical/fishing looking vests.

I am looking through the links and trying to make up my mind. Thanks!

....but I do feel like emailing the manufacturers and telling them that they idea of a concealed tactical looking vest is stupid. There is nothing concealed about it.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    As others have already stated, if I see someone in a vest (who isn't on a motorcycle, fishing, or a photographer), wearing a fanny pack, or carrying one of those maxpedition man-purses, it sets off flags in my head.

If they happen to also be a white guy over the age of 40, I consider it all but guaranteed.

This thread has been very interesting. I would have never guessed it would send red flags to others.

Darn it, now I have to carry a camera around my neck. :D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That is a very interesting observation. Do you think this is because you are a gun enthusiast that you automatically scan your surroundings? I've never associated a vest with anything out of the ordinary.

Thirteen years as a cop watching people all day. Vests just aren't that common in my experience. My experience has been that the overwhelming number of people I've encountered wearing them were either special agents or camermen. In the post 9-11 tacticool world, khaki "tac-vests" became very popular with people like a segment of this board. That segment likes to carry weapons. I make it a point to watch people that I believe are carrying weapons. I don't mean to disparage your preferred style of dress, just giving you a different perspective.

I suppose I should also make an exception this time of year for fleece vests.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    It's a little cool outside, I just might wear a vest today...

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    A good friend of mine is a retired USCP detective.

We were in Silver Spring, and stopped into a Mickey D's for a breakfast sammich.

He ALWAYS wore this long, khaki 'tacticool' vest. EVERY day.

We walked in, and several 'locals' got up and walked out!!! :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Talk about profiling......

2 white guys, over 40 (actually - over 50!). One with a shaved head. One with a high and tight flat-top.
    One wearing khaki slacks, a red polo shirt and a khaki tacticool vest.
    One wearing khaki slacks and a dark brown 'camp shirt'.

"OMG!!!!!!!! OLD WHITE GUYS!!!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom