• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What's the law regarding amount of powder and primers you can have in reserve?

I've been keeping myself at 4 lbs, but I've seen some posts where folks have claimed to find 8 lb kegs of powder locally.

The law is 5 lbs of smokeless and 5 lbs of blackpowder, per person, in the original container, as long as it's not stored in a multifamily dwelling or public building.

The post I believe you are referring to was written by someone residing in Va.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    "The law is 5 lbs of smokeless and 5 lbs of black-powder, per person, in the original container, as long as it's not stored in a multifamily dwelling or public building."

Can you cite where you found this?
    I have not been able to find law limiting amount of powder you can have.

NFPA is a non regulatory agency, they basically give suggestions, but a lot of their codes are adopted by MD or brought into court cases as common practice or "common sense".

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    "The law is 5 lbs of smokeless and 5 lbs of black-powder, per person, in the original container, as long as it's not stored in a multifamily dwelling or public building."

Can you cite where you found this?
    I have not been able to find law limiting amount of powder you can have.

NFPA is a non regulatory agency, they basically give suggestions, but a lot of their codes are adopted by MD or brought into court cases as common practice or "common sense".

Maryland Code
    Public Safety Article - Title 11. Explosives...

§ 11-105. License required; exceptions....

...(d) Same - Possession of explosives for use in firearms.-

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.

(2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

very old discussion found here..
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=218

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I agree; it's not MD law, but I bet NFPA limits would be brought into play if an issue came up

May want to check the fine print in the home owners insurance.

dont get me wrong..

how many gallons of gas do you guys keep inside your house?
    how many items you plug in an outlet?
    did you remember to replace the battery on your firealarm?

all safety stuff people forget sometimes. not saying to break the law either.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom