• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Purchase of non-regulated firearms from a contiguous state is 100% legal and the firearm maybe brought into Maryland. There is a NICS, PICS or VICS check done and the LGS is required to give the residence state, address and ID type, that is noted on the record. But if you purchase anything that is regulated, banned or limited in the State of Maryland and bring it over the state line, you may have just committed a crime. Chris

Just to clarify, some states have(had?) laws banning the sale of all firearms to out of state residents.

It has also been my experience that a lot of out of state dealers went more by the letter of the law vs. what the MSP 'wanted' - eg. HBAR ar's. But on the other hand some didn't want the hassle of dealing with out of staters at all regardless of what the law allowed. Oh well, their $ loss.:innocent0

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Yes, but as you say: only for non-regulated firearms.Exactly like that, the situation is the same except you had the gun ordered in and not the dealer.Sure.

Why not? Who cares? Not that it matters to the OP's question, but here is just one reason:http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=66010, plus this:

Well the why not is the OP was asking for advice. To give advice we need details. We could answer the OP question on face value but if we had more info maybe we could give better advice. That's why. And why do you care why I want to know? if you don't want to know, don't ask.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    First let me ask, what's the point of that? If it is an unregulated item, whatever the PA FFL will charge you will most likely be close to, if not the same as what the MD FFL will charge you.:shrug:

When you purchase in MD, the state is still notified in some way, correct? Do they not get copies of certain forms or something along that lines? I have never really paid that much attention when filling out forms where they originate from and where they are going. As stated before, the less MD knows about what I have, the better in my opinion.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    Okay this is kind of off topic but does seem to be the direction this thread is headed...

If we fail to support MD gun stores and run across the border for whatever reasons - these businesses will suffer and may end up closing...

The good will I build by purchasing from local shops - who are not struggling for business now but will be when they can't replenish their shelves with new stock - benefits me when I need something quick or when they set something aside for me when it comes in because they know I have been looking for it.. Or I get a call letting me know that a certain pistol that has been difficult to find will be arriving on Wednesday and they will set it aside for me until I get back to town Saturday... Or I am allowed to pay pre-panic fair market prices for ammo...

We need to support the local MD stores and I will continue to - as long as I live here - which may not be that much longer....

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... The feds know, so will Maryland once they pull you up in the system....

When you purchase in MD, the state is still notified in some way, correct? Do they not get copies of certain forms or something along that lines? ...

PLEASE someone correct me, because I would like to know. My understanding is that neither the State nor the Feds routinely get records of 4473 (non-Maryland Regulated) sales.

I thought that the FFL Dealer is required to maintain the actual Form 4473 that you fill out when you buy that Mossberg 500 or Ruger 10/.22, and that as long as the dealer remains in business, all that paperwork stays with the dealer. It is subject to inspection by the Federal BATFE, but not by the State, same as the Bound Book. Please correct me: I'm asking, not telling.

When the dealer goes out of business or otherwise drops their FFL, aren't they then required to turn over their Bound Books and all those boxes of ancient 4473s? Seems I read once that the ATF is trying to (illegally?) scan all those records into a computer database, but that's a haphazard business. I thought they didn't get those records until the dealer gives up their license.

How far off base am I so far? Inquiring minds want to know.

As far as I know, long guns are traced by following the specific serial number trail from the manufacturer to the distributor to the dealer, who then rummages through his musty old records to see who the original purchaser was. I believe that can be done very quickly, but it's still an individual serial number trace. As far as I know, the only record of that .22 rifle I bought a few years back is in the Dealer's storage room somewhere. (Oh geez, now They know!)

So what kind of Delusional Fool's Paradise am I living in? How wrong is all that?

Because I read on the internets that The Man has these low-orbiting satellites fitted with Precision Densimeters (reverse-engineered from alien technology) that can read off the serial numbers on every gun you own, whether it's locked in a safe or buried in your backyard.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Okay this is kind of off topic but does seem to be the direction this thread is headed...

If we fail to support MD gun stores and run across the border for whatever reasons - these businesses will suffer and may end up closing...

We need to support the local MD stores and I will continue to - as long as I live here - which may not be that much longer....

I do bring them business if they are fair in their fees. Some of the FFLs here won't accept out-of-state firearms in an attempt to force you to buy theirs (if they have them) at higher prices or charge outrageous transfer fees.

On parts and supplies, no issue with MD. Just picked up a bunch of ammo and reloading supplies in SoMD. I am just very selective in who I do business with. Be an idiot or treat me as an inconvenience when I want to give you money and I'm happy to take my business elsewhere.

Matt

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    When you purchase in MD, the state is still notified in some way, correct? Do they not get copies of certain forms or something along that lines? I have never really paid that much attention when filling out forms where they originate from and where they are going. As stated before, the less MD knows about what I have, the better in my opinion.

I can tell you that as of 2007 when I had to get a list of my firearms from the MSP because my wife and I were becoming foster parents they gave me a print out of only my regulated guns. I asked the trooper if he could also give me a print out of the rest of my guns and he told me that the MSP did not collect that info and could not care less about rifles and shotguns.

I think they still do not collect that info. The paperwork on the unregulated guns that we fill out stays with the gun shop for I think 25 years. They do make the phone call now but that is to just find out if there is a reason they should not sell you the gun.

But who knows.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I do bring them business if they are fair in their fees. Some of the FFLs here won't accept out-of-state firearms in an attempt to force you to buy theirs (if they have them) at higher prices or charge outrageous transfer fees.

On parts and supplies, no issue with MD. Just picked up a bunch of ammo and reloading supplies in SoMD. I am just very selective in who I do business with. Be an idiot or treat me as an inconvenience when I want to give you money and I'm happy to take my business elsewhere.

Matt

And thous shops are easy to spot. They are the ones that have $100 transfer fees. But it just back fires on them most of the time. Often when shops do that to try to force you into buying from them, many people will go out of their way to not shop there at all. There is a shop in Frederick that I could walk to from where I work that I refuse to ever consider buying from because transfer fees as well as everything else in the shop is 30% more then it should be on everything.

If they have something I'm dieing to get I will just do without until I can find it at a shop I want to buy from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom