• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Unfortunately, the chief makes two points and contradicts himself in doing so. He says the Texas constitutional carry law is "ridiculous" because of all the crime (as if law abiding gun owners are to blame), then he accurately states that the justice system in this country needs a complete revamping (paraphrasing), because simply arresting criminals with guns is useless unless the judicial process and the incarceration process follow through. In other words "Enforce the damned laws that are already on the books that deal with criminal gun behavior!!!" (But do NOT add laws that further impinge on the rights of law abiding gun owners.)
    On a broader spectrum, career criminals will continue to do what they do and use the revolving judicial system door frequently, but a law abiding gun owner turned felon because of draconian new gun laws will most assuredly go to jail and spend some time there.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Unfortunately, the chief makes two points and contradicts himself in doing so. He says the Texas constitutional carry law is "ridiculous" because of all the crime (as if law abiding gun owners are to blame), then he accurately states that the justice system in this country needs a complete revamping (paraphrasing), because simply arresting criminals with guns is useless unless the judicial process and the incarceration process follow through. In other words "Enforce the damned laws that are already on the books that deal with criminal gun behavior!!!" (But do NOT add laws that further impinge on the rights of law abiding gun owners.)
    On a broader spectrum, career criminals will continue to do what they do and use the revolving judicial system door frequently, but a law abiding gun owner turned felon because of draconian new gun laws will most assuredly go to jail and spend some time there.

It is precisely BECAUSE thjs so called leader understands the revolving door of criminal justice today, as well as the dangerous consequences of that reality for the law abiding, that he and his views are especially useless to anyone paying attention.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    He was asked about it because CBS knew what the answer would be.

So because the press asks a question he is allowed to offer his personal opinions in a professional capacity?

His answer, as a professional should have been "While I have my personal opinions regarding Texas law, my official response (while wearing this uniform and standing at this lectern) is no comment because I am payed by the taxpayers of Miami to focus on Miami. Should I become a local LEO in Texas, you are more than welcome to seek my professional opinion then. At this time it would be improper and unprofessional to comment about how another state decides to interpret the second amendment, as enumerated in the 10th amendment. Texas has the right and responsibility to run their state as they see fit."

He should be fired for dereliction of duty, not because I agree or disagree with his opinion, but because he gave his personal opinion while acting as an officer of the state. He needs to learn to stay in his lane.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I think you are a being a bit extreme here.

I mean It’s in unnecessary or maybe even inappropriate to use Kindly and Warm Regards in this context.

You’re absolutely right. Fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Well there is one example of who would come send his useful idiot sycophants to your door to confiscate your property while he cowered in the amoured SWAT van waiting for the all clear so he could come out and decry the fact to the press that you had more than one gun and more than one magazine that could hold more than 10 rounds of ammo.

FIFY

Rules for thee and not for me. He probably has a security detail in addition to being able to carry everywhere.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On the news story life span index, that one is about about 5/100, given the perps.

Now the event in Cali, the light rail thing, 60/100. White shooter, gun person, victims. Fortunately no evil guns in immediate vicinity. Just his house.

But also notice the same pattern there. Abundant warning signs and no one bothered to do a thing?

Would police having a chat with him, his supervisor and a few coworkers have made any difference? Maybe not. But seriously, crossing the border with a bunch of stuff on terrorist attacks, mass killings and screeds about how he hates his coworkers. That seems like the sort of thing you’d still want to have some discussions about. Maybe I am the atypical one, but I usually don’t go crossing international borders like that.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also for the Miami shooting. From reports, it was folks who were carrying at the club (legally or not) who prevented it from being a lot worse. The three shooters rolled in and ran right back out about 3-4 seconds later because one of more individuals started shooting back.

Sure as hell looked and sounded gang related. But let’s just assume the folks at the club were all innocent here. Sounds like good guys who happened to be carrying outside the home stopped bad guys with guns from turning a horrible situation in to a total slaughter to me.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    So because the press asks a question he is allowed to offer his personal opinions in a professional capacity?
    He should be fired for dereliction of duty, not because I agree or disagree with his opinion, but because he gave his personal opinion while acting as an officer of the state. He needs to learn to stay in his lane.
    He gets a pass because his personal opinion falls in line with the progressive stance, therefore its acceptable.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Well there is one example of who would come to your door to confiscate your property.

Well, in that case I won't have to worry about harming someone that should be an ally.

FIFY

Rules for thee and not for me. He probably has a security detail in addition to being able to carry everywhere.

Yeah, that's my fear. Soldiers, historically, will follow anything even closely resembling lawful.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Hes just being political.....getting a carry permit in his neck of the woods, is like paying for an Ice Cream Cone. Everyone is packing in Florida, just like Virginia.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Art Acevedo is purporting nexus more as Former Huston Chief than current Miami Chief .

A Chief is appointed .

A Sheriff is ( almost always ) elected .
    Take that with a grain of salt though . In modern era , a Sheriff Dept is usually dependent upon the County Government for most of their funding . And often a Sheriff has to play ball with the local political machine to get elected/ re elected .

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    is the miami police chief elected or appointed?

As a rule:

Office, sheriff, President Govoner is elected

Dept, police, fire department of defense is appointed.

This is for the heads of the agency i am speaking of.

Nobody

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom