• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Because I've got this dude on a game camera I just took down a couple weeks ago that was up all winter. The date on the picture is accurate. Looks like he never lost his antlers, or he was waiting till it warmed up to lose them.

Attachments

• MFDC2539.jpg
      MFDC2539.jpg
      72.9 KB · Views: 653

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    it's a hormone thing , i've seen bucks with half racks ( only lost one side ) all the way through march . they all drop at some point and start to regrow by june .

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I saw two mature bucks sparring hard in April a few years back.Not sure the exact date,but mid-month it was
    I'm sure they eventually dropped their racks tho

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I have a buddy who is still getting pic of a buck with both his antlers as of 4/18. He also has another buck that already has 2-3" of new antler growth.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks guys. Guess I’ve just never really noticed. Typically by Mid February all I see are antlerless deer and this is the first year I’ve had game cameras out in the “off season”. From my game camera pics I still have at least 3 different bucks, almost all nocturnal only, with antlers. Other two are a spike
    And a 7-pt.

Though zero antlers seen in anything since the last week of March, but only a couple deer sightings on camera from mid March until I took the camera down end of the first week of April.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Seen this one the other day. More than a few days actually but pretty recent.
    Sometimes I think Sika will carry them for quite some time before they fall off. But not always.
    They're kind of weird for how they go sometimes.

Did you really just walk right up on that stag?

Sheesh.

So far I am still 0 for about 3 on Sika. Though I didn’t get to the eastern shore this year.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Videos worth a thousand words aint it?
    Its on public land, behind my buddies farm near the marsh. Maybe two almost three weeks ago.

I think I am doing something wrong. Like, I didn’t think it mattered if I wore pants or not. But I guess maybe I won’t scare them off if I wore pants the next time I hunt Sika?

Closest I came was jumping a couple hinds in a blizzard and then taking too long to unsafe my rifle and pop the scope cover open and then I didn’t have an ethical shot any more (other than going all Arnie on them and hosing the forest as they ran).

Actually that isn’t true. Now that I think about it my very first season hunting ever (6 years ago?) I shot and just missed one over it shoulder at maybe 50yds in a swamp after just having missed a couple white tail does that ran within 20 yds of me 2 minutes before (hit a big tree branch in between us and then just missed one with the WT)

Didn’t see any more deer that hunting trip and learned shitty iron sights on a shotgun (especially with slugs) and not a lot of practice were not conducive to a successful hunt. Learned a lot and gotten a ton better since then.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Wear pants but cut them off right into the top of your knee boots/hippers so they rip all your skin off from walking around in that mess.
    Like knickers or breeks for hunting.
    Dont worry about making noise in the water, just get back in there early morning and face a road or field to catch them going back to the phrag.
    Keep looking around so you can see them before you hear them.
    Opposite at night time, but right up to he edge of the phrag looking down along/into it on a trail.
    They don't want the wind from behind them when they come out of that stuff, if it is they wait until its its good and dark to move.
    Its opposite of what you think so you have to get them right when they come out of the cover.
    You see that one was right on the edge of the phrag, on quick leap and they're into it and gone once they're in that mess. often yo wont even hear them.
    Otherwise, if theirs not a lot of pressure, sometimes you can get right up to them closer than you think.
    They do weird stuff completely unlike Wt's for the most part.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wear pants but cut them off right into the top of your knee boots/hippers so they rip all your skin off from walking around in that mess.
    Like knickers or breeks for hunting.
    Dont worry about making noise in the water, just get back in there early morning and face a road or field to catch them going back to the phrag.
    Keep looking around so you can see them before you hear them.
    Opposite at night time, but right up to he edge of the phrag looking down along/into it on a trail.
    They don't want the wind from behind them when they come out of that stuff, if it is they wait until its its good and dark to move.
    Its opposite of what you think so you have to get them right when they come out of the cover.
    You see that one was right on the edge of the phrag, on quick leap and they're into it and gone once they're in that mess. often yo wont even hear them.
    Otherwise, if theirs not a lot of pressure, sometimes you can get right up to them closer than you think.
    They do weird stuff completely unlike Wt's for the most part.

Thanks!

I’ve been mostly hunting Nanticoke when looking for Sika, but usually not as far back. Probably why I’ve seen more WT than Sika that few years I’ve hunted it. I’ve been back in the phrag, but not at those times of day. I’ve been setting up near obvious trails near thick cover

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thanks!

I’ve been mostly hunting Nanticoke when looking for Sika, but usually not as far back. Probably why I’ve seen more WT than Sika that few years I’ve hunted it. I’ve been back in the phrag, but not at those times of day. I’ve been setting up near obvious trails near thick cover

No deer on state land is a good myth to perpetuate. Find some next to private land where theirs some feeders to exploit for sika.
    Just get in before the lazy hunters drive them right to you or before they go to Millie's for pancakes and coffee @ 0830 in the morning.
    Let them do the work and pay the freight for you.
    Alot of them deer stay right up next to the road too. Thats where the grass is for feed down there. Thaat s why you see them like rats when you drive out of there at night time.
    Find a place where the phrag is relatively close to the road and the littel piece of woods where theirs no deer. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No deer on state land is a good myth to perpetuate. Find some next to private land where theirs some feeders to exploit for sika.
    Just get in before the lazy hunters drive them right to you or before they go to Millie's for pancakes and coffee @ 0830 in the morning.
    Let them do the work and pay the freight for you.
    Alot of them deer stay right up next to the road too. Thats where the grass is for feed down there. Thaat s why you see them like rats when you drive out of there at night time.
    Find a place where the phrag is relatively close to the road and the littel piece of woods where theirs no deer. :D

I feel like I need to suck it up, put my chest waders on and hit up fishing bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom