• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    I've been searching for a muzzle brake for my 12 gauge and had no luck finding an exact fit. So I picked one up that is close but the pitch of the threads are off. The brake has an adapter threaded into it(picture). I'm looking for a local gunsmith or machine shop that can either cut new threads into the same adapter or make a new adapter. The brake is m22x.75 and my barrel is m22x.5.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210219-184730~2.jpg
      Screenshot_20210219-184730~2.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 273

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    What are the outer dimensions/thread of that adapter?

I've used Metalcraft Engineering in Annapolis in the past to make custom metal parts for my boat. I don't know if they're gun friendly or not, but you're just making a thread adapter, no need to mention the application.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    you'll need a new adapter , the thread is too close to be rethreaded .

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Not sure you can go from m22x.75 to m22x.5 with good threads as the major and minor diameters are almost the same (http://burovik.biz/Metricthread.pdf). If you have nothing to lose, you could try tapping the brake with an m22x.5 tap, which seem to be available, although somewhat pricey.

The other option (already mentioned) would be to bore out the brake to a larger diameter thread and fabricate an adapter. Likely an expensive proposition.

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    Annapolis is a short drive, I'll contact them. Thank you

I've used Metalcraft Engineering in Annapolis in the past to make custom metal parts for my boat. I don't know if they're gun friendly or not, but you're just making a thread adapter, no need to mention the application.

I'm seeing the taps going for 20-40 dollars range which isn't bad. I estimate it will cost at least that to pay someone to do it? But now that you mention it, you may be correct. Tapping new threads into this might not leave enough metal to be useable.

Not sure you can go from m22x.75 to m22x.5 with good threads as the major and minor diameters are almost the same (http://burovik.biz/Metricthread.pdf). If you have nothing to lose, you could try tapping the brake with an m22x.5 tap, which seem to be available, although somewhat pricey.

The other option (already mentioned) would be to bore out the brake to a larger diameter thread and fabricate an adapter. Likely an expensive proposition.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Annapolis is a short drive, I'll contact them. Thank you

I'm seeing the taps going for 20-40 dollars range which isn't bad. I estimate it will cost at least that to pay someone to do it? But now that you mention it, you may be correct. Tapping new threads into this might not leave enough metal to be useable.

That existing adapter is nothing more than a piece of steel round stock that has been threaded on the outside and bored out and threaded on the inside. The cheapest solution that will actually work is just have the machine shop do the same thing with the correct new interior thread. What is the external thread on the original adapter? Don't assume any particular shop is gun-friendly (I don't know that they're not, either, but this is MD so I have BGOS ); I'd just take in the old adapter, removed from the brake, and tell them to duplicate it with the new thread.

Machine shops I've worked with generally charge per hour for machinist time. IIRC last time I had something fabricated, I paid $80/hr. That part shouldn't take more than an hour to make.

I wouldn't attempt to re-thread the existing adapter bore with a hand tap. You'll just end up cross-threading it, and possibly end up both breaking the tap and ruining the part in the process.

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    I have not removed and measured the original adapter yet. As soon as I get home I'll do so and then put a digital caliper on it.

Making a new one does make the most sense. So I'm probably looking for a gunsmith that can achieve this rather than a general machine shop

That existing adapter is nothing more than a piece of steel round stock that has been threaded on the outside and bored out and threaded on the inside. The cheapest solution that will actually work is just have the machine shop do the same thing with the correct new interior thread. What is the external thread on the original adapter? Don't assume any particular shop is gun-friendly (I don't know that they're not, either, but this is MD so I have BGOS ); I'd just take in the old adapter, removed from the brake, and tell them to duplicate it with the new thread.

Machine shops I've worked with generally charge per hour for machinist time. IIRC last time I had something fabricated, I paid $80/hr. That part shouldn't take more than an hour to make.

I wouldn't attempt to re-thread the existing adapter bore with a hand tap. You'll just end up cross-threading it, and possibly end up both breaking the tap and ruining the part in the process.

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    Still looking. The boating shop suggested appears to be permanently closed. I've called a few smithing shops and so far no takers.

Any suggestions for firearm friendly machine shops capable of cutting some threads into a small chunk of metal?

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    Outer diameter of the adapter is 30mm(1-3/16"), if that helps

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    You should contact Walt https://triggerdoctor.com/. He does great work and can probably do the job for you.

John at Duffy's should be able to help you

Called both today and neither one is up for it.

At this point I'm thinking that it's not a big enough job for them to yield a profit. Because there's no way that all these shops are just incapable of executing this. Seems like a simple task with the right tools... Is there something else I'm missing?

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    call gishelle (spelling ?) machine , they are in the industrial park accross from brandon shores powerplant . they will make it for you , might be pricey though .

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    One thing to keep in mind with smaller shops that are specific to firearms: they work almost exclusively in SAE threading. Many that I have spoken with do not have metric gearing for their lathes.

Another issue, as you note in post 14, is that there is little profit in one-off pieces and if they do not have appropriate stock already on hand they will likely lose money as they will be stuck with the rest of the material.

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    call gishelle (spelling ?) machine , they are in the industrial park accross from brandon shores powerplant . they will make it for you , might be pricey though .

I will look them up, thanks

One thing to keep in mind with smaller shops that are specific to firearms: they work almost exclusively in SAE threading. Many that I have spoken with do not have metric gearing for their lathes.

Another issue, as you note in post 14, is that there is little profit in one-off pieces and if they do not have appropriate stock already on hand they will likely lose money as they will be stuck with the rest of the material.

I get that about profit, and also being backed up with other jobs, but there's a lot of Beretta, Benelli and a few other overseas manufacturers who work in metric right? Or are they mostly proprietary parts? I kinda feel like there's enough metric out there to justify having those tools. Even domestic auto manufacturers have gone mostly metric

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom