• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I sent in the form for a Designated Collector to the MSP about 2 weeks ago and received the approval letter in the mail the other day. I was not excepting the approval that fast. I had heard it takes 4 to 6 weeks. I just wanted to share that in case anyone else was thinking about submitting for one. There is no cost involved.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I sent in the form for a Designated Collector to the MSP about 2 weeks ago and received the approval letter in the mail the other day. I was not excepting the approval that fast. I had heard it takes 4 to 6 weeks. I just wanted to share that in case anyone else was thinking about submitting for one. There is no cost involved.

The time it takes has always varied and some have postulated that the requests are batched for a while then completed all at once.

taisho

Jan 4, 2021
    Glen Burnie
    Designated Collector “cannot be processed”

I got a letter stating that my application “cannot be processed” because I don’t have any “Not Disapproved” regulated firearms.

I’m guessing that I have to buy a handgun first, so I’ll reapply after a buy a regulated firearm.

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD

Can this be completed at any FFL?

Just so I'm understanding, Designated Collector is so you can go around the 1/month purchase limit and that's the only thing it does? I can see how that would be useful.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    As scarce as gun are now to come by I didn't want to buy one and then find one that I really wanted and not be able to get it due to the 30 day rule.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Some guns are scarce, others not so much. From what I can see, S&W is cranking out their M&P Shield models like water from a fire hose. There has been no shortage of them. I'm sure there are others that are also equally consistently available.

Solution to your first gun not being what you want for 30 days is to rent and test various models BEFORE you buy.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    In the "describe nature of collecting activities" section, are you guys putting "all legal purposes"? I'm about to fill mine out
    I actually forgot word for word. I wrote what the gun shop owner told me to. (He notarized and mailed it for me too) Something about enhancing my collection, and for competition target shooting.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I actually forgot word for word. I wrote what the gun shop owner told me to. (He notarized and mailed it for me too) Something about enhancing my collection, and for competition target shooting.

Mine told me to just put "In order to take advantage of sale pricing".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom