• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Care to enlighten us how many folks pass the NICS but fail the MSP background check each year?

That information was asked for back in 2014 or 2015, it worked out to be about 3% of all regulated purchases.

cms81586

Feb 8, 2018
    There were 70+ firearms released on 8th day that had to be retrieved by MSP, 4 were used in crimes. Those dealers are still in business today with absolutely no issues from 2013.

I can live with that. MSP should suck less and get off their butts to do the job the legislature has tasked them with.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yes, there are a number of Maryland Only disqualifiers . We had a recent thread here from someone who registered his handguns upon moving in get cought up by this .

Flashback 2013 - MSP LD threatened in person dealers that if they did " Timely Release " , they would audit them continually until they found a minor tranposition , and imeadately revoke their RWDL .

MSI sued , and MSP pre trial settled by issuing a letter that the practice Was Legal , and that they would not retaliate for following the law .

But that was then , and now is ???

Letter was approved by the judge hearing the case. I very much doubt the state would go back on a letter approved by a judge, to settle a lawsuit before injunctive relief, of a lawsuit against the state.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There were some LGSs in 2013 who found a middle ground between releasing after 8 days based on no response, and waiting forever to hear from MSP. They came up with reasonable criteria that provided evidence you were likely not a prohibited person.

Things like showing a receipt for a firearm purchase within a certain amount of time (say, last 6 mo, or 1 year); recently issued designated collector letter; having a CC permit from MD or another state; or having an active duty military ID.

The first three would show you had passed a background check, the last would show you had not recently been convicted of a felony level offense (since if so, you would be in custody, having surrendered your ID, or had already received punishment and been outprocessed from the military with DD or other-than-honorable and would not possess an ID).

And there were a lot that just obeyed the law as written. Especially after MSP and the state lost the lawsuit about the issue.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I can live with that. MSP should suck less and get off their butts to do the job the legislature has tasked them with.

It will take some work, but if you really want to dig into 2013, do a search here on the issue(s). A lot of folks here were insturemental in a lot of it. :party29:

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Totally the LGS to be angry at. No leeway here. The MSP release states very specifically they can so any attempt to relieve the LGS/FFL of responsibility is ludicrous. I sure won't forget Duffy's is showing themselves to be Liberal minded.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Does anyone not trust the timing of this?

Middle of a riot filled national pandemic where gun sales are up a bagillion percent and that just happens to be when the MSP has a hardware failure?

Isn't this stuff all web based anyway?

Maybe I have lived in Maryland too long (working on fixing that) and become too cynical. But this sounds more intentional than not

Maybe Hogan’s brokering a deal for the South Koreans to come in and fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Here's what I remember. Someone will obviously correct me: Many years ago, well before 2013, the MSP was running routinely 15 days for "Not Disapproved". They were also leaning on dealers that life would be tougher if they released in accordance with the law. Some dealer got fed up and started releasing. The SUN got word and spun it around, "The poor MSP is underfunded and overworked and just trying to keep us safe. Now this gunshop is letting criminals have guns." I recall a lawsuit, that got dismissed when the MSP promised to speed up the process.
    Since the current advisory gives detailed instructions on how to release on time, I don't see how the LGS could be yanked around too much. But I'm not a dealer and it doesn't affect my bottom line.

You are correct. It was Sandy Abrams of the Maryand Small Arms Dealers Assoc around 1995 or so. MSP was rejecting 85% of the applications and was taken to court where MSP lost. Then MSP was taking longer than seven days up to four months. Back to court MSP lost. There was something about SKS not on the list but pressured LGS to treat as regulated. Another court appearence was in the works but MSP dropped their attempt.

Last edited:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    So, how would does this work with a secondary sale that was conducted at the MSP barracks? I understand that the seller is free to release on the 8th day, but will he be able to enter the transfer date in the portal or have to wait until the Not Disapproved email comes?

Someone who did this yesterday and wants to take possession of his new/used gun next Tuesday would really like to know.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    With all the lawsuits flying around, it's hard to blame dealers. What i've found is if you deal with the same dealer over time you build trust and get a pass on some issues. If your a first time buyer or infequent buyer the dealers usually error on the safe side, which means keep it in the safe until it clears.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    I'm starting to hear rumblings and rumors that our data has been compromised. Can someone please confirm this? It does have all of the hallmarks of a serious attack. I'm just wondering what the extent of it is? How much info did the hackers retrieve? All of it? I knew this day would come and I knew it wasn't a good idea to have all of our data stored on State Government owned computers. This is complete and utter B.S.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    With all the lawsuits flying around, it's hard to blame dealers. What i've found is if you deal with the same dealer over time you build trust and get a pass on some issues. If your a first time buyer or infequent buyer the dealers usually error on the safe side, which means keep it in the safe until it clears.

What other "issues" do you get a pass on?

You're admitting that your favorite dealer will follow the law for people that they know and like but will be absolute pricks for someone they don't?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Today was my 8TH day and my gun shop said nope can't release the gun to you sorry.I said so the large header at the top of the MSP site means nothing answer was yup. Not very happy.

Out them.

tenor.gif

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Not only no, but the state admitted in a lawsuit that the there is no liability to the dealer/transferer, if a disapproved comes back.

That’s what the state says. Do you believe them? Look at the lengths the Dems are going through to destroy this country. Do you not think they will hold a grudge and try to destroy an FFL for a minor infraction, if that FFL had not “listened” to MSP? Maybe they didn’t do so in 2013, but the political climate in 2020 is at a boiling point with leftists doing whatever they want with no fear.

On the other hand, MD politicians and the MSP will still try to fck with FFLs, no matter what they choose. I applaud the FTLs that release on the 8th day.

I wouldn’t want to be in the position that FFLs are currently in if my family’s livelihood depended on my shop.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I'm starting to hear rumblings and rumors that our data has been compromised. Can someone please confirm this? It does have all of the hallmarks of a serious attack. I'm just wondering what the extent of it is? How much info did the hackers retrieve? All of it? I knew this day would come and I knew it wasn't a good idea to have all of our data stored on State Government owned computers. This is complete and utter B.S.

I just got ALERT from Experian today that my email and potentially more personal info is on the “dark web”. I wonder if it is related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom