• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Why is there not a pill or topical that will last 30 days (think Frontline) and not be washed/sweated off, that can be taken to keep ticks off humans??

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Why is there not a pill or topical that will last 30 days (think Frontline) and not be washed/sweated off, that can be taken to keep ticks off humans??

we use frontline and while we do find dead ticks from time to time, we also find live, gorging ones from time to time as well on our golden retriever. so in our experience over three dogs, it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

the other thing i don't get about frontline is that ticks have to bite your dog to get the "medicine," and in biting your dog, aren't they also releasing their lyme and various diseases? maybe i'm missing something? our goldens have always used frontline but they always have tested positive for lyme.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Any experience with Duranon sprayed on clothes prior to exposure? I watch critters start up my pants leg, and drop off after a trip of about seven inches. That, along with applying tape, my reduce the number to be dealt with later.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    but they always have tested positive for lyme.

The test finds Lyme Antibodies. Once positive, always positive.

If I remember correctly, this is why they don't recommend the Lyme Vaccine anymore. Your body creates Antibodies in reaction to the vaccine, so that leaves you with no way to test if you actually have the disease. The test is also notoriously inaccurate, if your immune system doesn't react to the Lyme bacteria and make antibodies, negative test, but you've got the bacteria.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I can't give you any better advice on removing them, but I will give you three things to do after.......

1. Get checked for Lyme Disease!
    2. Get checked for Lyme Disease!!
    3. Get checked for Lyme Disease!!!

1. Deer Ticks are very small, like pinheads.
    2. Look for the Bulls-eye rash, that doesn't show up all the time.
    3. It can take several weeks for symptoms to show up.
    4. That big of a possible exposure, doc might give you Antibiotics just in case!!

Been there done that three times with my son. Fortunately, bull-eye rash showed it self early and Doxycycline took care of the issue.

This-when I was in Hopkins hospital back in May/June I met a guy who was a PT and he had contacted Lyme. When I tell you it phked him up I'm not kidding. Took at least 3 tests over 9 mo to find it. Also know a lady who got it bad years ago. UPS guy found her out cold on her driveway. She lived on a country estate and spent a lot of time in her garden. She too had tested negative a couple of times.

mattyrayb

Feb 23, 2010
    waldorf
    I have permethrin concentrate that I dilute with water to spray the perimeter of my yard since I had tick issues 2 years ago. Worked like a charm. I read some articles about how safe it is and while most speculate on its affects there is nothing proven to substantiate the claims. In fact, EPA did a study that showed nothing adverse.
    From what I've read, if you're concerned the safest thing to do is spray it on your pants, let it dry and then put them on.
    My kids and I walked through a nest on 2 occasions. Sucked bad. Using duct or similar tape works like a charm. I had them all in between my toes and ended up using a flame to zap them off.
    From my research after the first run-in, ticks are born pathogen free and it's not until they bite a host with a disease that they contract something.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    What are seed ticks? Are they ticks before gorging. I've had the ungorged and gorged ticks on dogs in the past and I know about deer ticks but never seen one.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    What are seed ticks? Are they ticks before gorging. I've had the ungorged and gorged ticks on dogs in the past and I know about deer ticks but never seen one.

Term used for small seed-sized ticks. Probably deer tick larvae in this case:

Attachments

• tick lifecycle.jpg
      tick lifecycle.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 148

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Great tip, I see they come in different sizes for different size ticks.

An evening of romantic tick searching is only fun if there's no actual ticks to be found. I think there's a country song about that? I wanna check you for ticks by Brad Paisley...

Hey, I've heard that song, it's not bad!

I was with a buddy some years back whomust have been standing right where the tick nymphs were hatching. He was covered! It looked like moving freckles. He took a shower and lathered up really well all over and just stood with the soap on for a number of minutes. It did work.

Sounds like a good first step, to at least remove those that are not already attached.

This.

Grab the tick closest to the mouth parts with tweezers or one of those devices that has a split in the end of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-tick-Remedy-Magnifier-Chain-Tutorial/dp/B00161O2MO/

I have one of these, but the tornado device looks even better. Key point you are making is don't squeeze them or leave mouth parts behind.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Key point you are making is don't squeeze them or leave mouth parts behind.

... and get them off you as soon as possible and not put any goop, fire or other magic potions on them that's going to prolong their stay and possibly backfire.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    ... and get them off you as soon as possible and not put any goop, fire or other magic potions on them that's going to prolong their stay and possibly backfire.

Good points. I've seen people try some of those tricks.

Although I haven't found a tick (in me), for years; I bought one of those tornado tick removers (two pack, med & small).

Wouldn't taking an Epsom Salt bath also kill them? Or would they run to your head?

Good question. Would soaking in any water (tub), make them back out on their own?

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009

There is.

It is called Vitamin B1.

You need to "overdose" it by taking at least 500mgs. per day (maybe more depending on your body weight) to build it up in your system. B1 is a water-soluble vitamin, so your body will constantly remove excess, usually through your pores, before you have anything close to a toxic buildup.

B1 builds up in your skin and is secreted through your pores. It is the sulphur content of the B1 that makes you smell and taste bad to ticks and mosquitoes. You will not notice the smell yourself, as the human nose is not sensitive enough to smell it.

I have been taking 500 mgs. of additional B1 daily along with a normal multi-B supplement from March through December (after deer season is over). Mosquitoes land on me, but end up jumping around and not biting. I still get ticks on me too, but I get very few tentative bites, and I have not found any dug in since I started the B1.

Old-timers used to ingest lots of garlic for the same effect, but other people can smell that coming out of your pores.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Always used vaseline to suffocate them. I remember nearly dying when I found a tick inches away from my balls. That was traumatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom