• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Up until about 2 years ago, I never really got involved with state politics. Local and federal yes, but not state. That said, whatching the workings of the MD GA, it is clear to me that we are dealing with a bunch of thugs(so what's new in politics) and they use street fighting tactics. The only way to counter is to go on the offensive with similar tactics.

The true power in the house is in the committees and the leadership of them. Nothing gets to the floor unless passed from the committee, and the chair holds the power to put bills with wide support in the drawer. That said, the only way to counter this is to make sure that the chair and vice chair know they have a target (figuratively speaking) on their back. In any street fight, you take out the leader.

That said, the mission for all MD 2A supporters should be to unseat Vallario and Dumais. Yes I know, most of us don't live in their districts, but that doesn't stop us from working with their opponents. It would be better to unseat them with someone we don't like than to support someone we do that is unelectable! It may be too late for this go around, and that would mean another 4 years, but it really doesn't matter who gets in as long as it isn't them. The new guy could be the most rabid anti, but without seniority, he wouldn't get a very good committee assignment, and for sure who ever did get the chair of the judiciary would realize that they too have a target on their back.

We will never get our rights back if we can't get bills to the floor for a vote. In that case, the courts are our only hope, and that will take longer.

Just my observations for today.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Up until about 2 years ago, I never really got involved with state politics. Local and federal yes, but not state. That said, whatching the workings of the MD GA, it is clear to me that we are dealing with a bunch of thugs(so what's new in politics) and they use street fighting tactics. The only way to counter is to go on the offensive with similar tactics.

The true power in the house is in the committees and the leadership of them. Nothing gets to the floor unless passed from the committee, and the chair holds the power to put bills with wide support in the drawer. That said, the only way to counter this is to make sure that the chair and vice chair know they have a target (figuratively speaking) on their back. In any street fight, you take out the leader.

That said, the mission for all MD 2A supporters should be to unseat Vallario and Dumais. Yes I know, most of us don't live in their districts, but that doesn't stop us from working with their opponents. It would be better to unseat them with someone we don't like than to support someone we do that is unelectable! It may be too late for this go around, and that would mean another 4 years, but it really doesn't matter who gets in as long as it isn't them. The new guy could be the most rabid anti, but without seniority, he wouldn't get a very good committee assignment, and for sure who ever did get the chair of the judiciary would realize that they too have a target on their back.

We will never get our rights back if we can't get bills to the floor for a vote. In that case, the courts are our only hope, and that will take longer.

All very true.

If you haven't already done so, look into Operation DiNO, as well as Project Alamo, both started here on MDS.

This election season will be critical, and everyone needs to make sure the Critters know we're out to change the face of Annapolis.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Thank You for getting involved!

The reaction you describe seems to be universal -- an epiphany of how broken our system has become and the need to change it.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Welcome to the fight! Become a DINO and begin cranking up the heat on the legislators by email, phone, and fax. Get to Annapolis if you can and talk to them in person. You're awakening, now act on it!

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I know that the local deligates are also important, and Operation DINO may be good for that. What I'm talking about is a full court press on District 27A and 15. These two districts are the key to getting anything out the door of the Judiciary Committee. Taking these two down would really send a messagge to the rest of the GA that we do have support and can make things happen.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I know that the local deligates are also important, and Operation DINO may be good for that. What I'm talking about is a full court press on District 27A and 15. These two districts are the key to getting anything out the door of the Judiciary Committee. Taking these two down would really send a messagge to the rest of the GA that we do have support and can make things happen.

A lot of legwork is already being done. This thread is the main repository.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=147366

But, feel free to post up in the Regional folders as well, and if there isn't already a discussion started for those districts, have at it!

This is a powerful community, but we need to allow ourselves to be effective!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Vallario got reshuffled to District 23B, and is unprotected by the Speaker and President for dragging his feet on SB281 last year.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Dumais is lying in wait to take over the HJC from Vallario. She was the floor leader in the House for SB281. If you think Vallario is bad.... If she gets the chair, every imaginable gun control bill will be on the books and voted on in the HJC. Vallario is being pressured on a lot of items and I see some bills coming out of SJPC being directed to other House committees to commit end run around him. They put the HGO in with the HJC as a vote security move on SB281. Don't tell me that was about mental health issues in the bill, they bypassed the SEHEAC...

Also, Simmons is trying to move up to the Senate and has a vulnerable side to his primary opponent - nope, not guns... women's issues. He could be gone next session with enough support thrown to his opponent. You can bet if he makes it to the Senate, he'll be on the SJPC and working towards chairmanship there.

Imagine a MD with Simmons heading the SJPC and Dumais heading the HJC...

They both need to go.

Interestingly, Dumais and Simmons were under fire (with the left as evidenced by the Washington Post article last year the week of the committee vote on SB281) for being too soft on gun control. They each defended their position and assured the grabbers they were standing strong. Both her and Simmons ended up personally penning responses to the articles in the Post.

Hate to say this, But... They both need to be flanked on the LEFT, yes, left. :). We may find this unpalatable, maybe even downright nauseating, but it must be done.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Dumais is lying in wait to take over the HJC from Vallario. She was the floor leader in the House for SB281. If you think Vallario is bad.... If she gets the chair, every imaginable gun control bill will be on the books and voted on in the HJC. Vallario is being pressured on a lot of items and I see some bills coming out of SJPC being directed to other House committees to commit end run around him. They put the HGO in with the HJC as a vote security move on SB281. Don't tell me that was about mental health issues in the bill, they bypassed the SEHEAC...

Also, Simmons is trying to move up to the Senate and has a vulnerable side to his primary opponent - nope, not guns... women's issues. He could be gone next session with enough support thrown to his opponent. You can bet if he makes it to the Senate, he'll be on the SJPC and working towards chairmanship there.

They both need to go.

Interestingly, Dumais and Simmons were under fire (with the left as evidenced by the Washington Post article last year the week of the committee vote on SB281) for being too soft on gun control. They each defended their position and assured the grabbers they were standing strong. Both her and Simmons ended up personally penning responses to the articles in the Post.

Hate to say this, But... They both need to be flanked on the LEFT, yes, left. :). We may find this unpalatable, maybe even downright nauseating, but it must be done.

You're absolutely right on all counts. Vallario may not be perfect, but what is waiting in the wings, salivating to take his place will be much worse.

Getting Dumais and Simmons out should be the first priority for anyone who is interested in the rights of people period. If you don't think so, think about a Maryland with Frosh in the AG position, Dumais in charge of HJC and Simmons sitting on SJPC. That's a nightmare my friends.:sad20:

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    I pretty much have the same story. I never knew how bad it was on a local level untill last year when I stepped up my political interests fighting sb281. I saw all the shady workings, media screwing it up, brilliant testimonies get brushed off...I could go on. These people dont represent us, they are just puppets for a greater cause and I cant wait to help cut some strings...

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County

They both need to go.

That was precisely why I included Dumias in my original post. Working from the Left is what I was talking about. Committee membership and leadership is done primarily on seniority. Getting the senior folks out and new blood in will open up those chair and vice chair seats. They may go to folks we don't particularly like, but if they recognize that the 2A camp was responsible for the dimise of their predecessor, they may be more willing to at least listen to our arguments and allow a vote.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Everything in this thread is absolute win...

So the question is and has always been who's got the plan and MONEY to make this happen?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    That was precisely why I included Dumias in my original post. Working from the Left is what I was talking about. Committee membership and leadership is done primarily on seniority. Getting the senior folks out and new blood in will open up those chair and vice chair seats. They may go to folks we don't particularly like, but if they recognize that the 2A camp was responsible for the dimise of their predecessor, they may be more willing to at least listen to our arguments and allow a vote.

The OP called out Vallario and Dumais. I believe it's Dumais and Simmons that need to go.

Since we can't come from 2A, pick a far left topic and support their opponent on it. :)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If we don't start eliminating them from the legislature one by one, they will eliminate us one by one.

If we can't take out even one, the rest are emboldened to pass what ever they wish, year after year.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie

There is no realistic expectation of defeating Vallario, op Dino or not. He'll die in office if he chooses not to retire voluntarily.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There is no realistic expectation of defeating Vallario, op Dino or not. He'll die in office if he chooses not to retire voluntarily.

Not necessarily, he has been redistricted and is not protected by the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House, for dragging out Sb281 as long as possible last year.

He is beatable, but then the issue become Dumais (as DGAPilot has noted). Dumais may be the harder of the two to defeat this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom