• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Can someone please tell me the appropriate paperwork or steps necessary for this procedure. Thanks in advance.

An uncle who lives out west left a handgun at my house a few years ago. He did so on purpose, he doesn't ever use it and figured I would get more use from it so he basically lent it to me. He lives on the opposite coast, so he is not nearby, nor does he travel here often. At this point he doesn't even want it so I think I should have it legally transferred into my name, preferrably before Oct 1st. So, bottom line is I have the gun, he isn't here to sign any paperwork.

It is on the MD roster.

Any idea?

Thanks

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    You would have to transfer the weapon through an FFL, if req'd. What kind of weapon is it? Have you talked with a local FFL about the right thing to do? A hypothetical ? to MSP may be helpful as well.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    You would have to transfer the weapon through an FFL, if req'd. What kind of weapon is it? Have you talked with a local FFL about the right thing to do? A hypothetical ? to MSP may be helpful as well.

It is a revolver. I am well versed in how to typically transfer via FFL or MSP. The issue being that he is an out of state resident, so it has to go through an FFL here, but he doesn't have custody to ship from an FFL on his end, nor is he present to fill out paperwork at an FFL on this end.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    From what you say I can only assume the pistol was not registered in MD. That being said it can be considered a inheritence. Take it to a MSP barracks and do a voulentary transfer.All they will do is check if its been recorded as stolen. Since the gun is already in MD I don't think you need a Ffl to be involved. Depending on how old it is it might not even be registered in his name.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I would say you will do whatever steps your chosen FFL asks you to do but I would think
    1. Get your uncle to send you a copy of his drivers license. Maybe a note saying he is giving it to you.
    2. Take the firearm to the ffl with the copy of the DL and tell them that your uncle is giving this to you.
    3. They will take possession of the handgun and check it in from your uncle.
    4. You then do the transfer paperwork and its eventually yours with that all important ND.

If you want you could give the FFL a story that your uncle mistakenly sent it to you and not a dealer since they didnt completely understand the law and that you just want to get everything back to the "legal" process.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Ship via FedEx next day to FFL n behalf of other party? Ie with return address of uncle?

Hadn't thought of that. Might be a possibility.

From what you say I can only assume the pistol was not registered in MD. That being said it can be considered a inheritence. Take it to a MSP barracks and do a voulentary transfer.All they will do is check if its been recorded as stolen. Since the gun is already in MD I don't think you need a Ffl to be involved. Depending on how old it is it might not even be registered in his name.

Never registered in MD, but definitely on the Federal books. He lives in a state where face to face is legal, but he bought it new from an FFL, I think sometime in the late 90's or early 2000s.

I would say you will do whatever steps your chosen FFL asks you to do but I would think
    1. Get your uncle to send you a copy of his drivers license. Maybe a note saying he is giving it to you.
    2. Take the firearm to the ffl with the copy of the DL and tell them that your uncle is giving this to you.
    4. You then do the transfer paperwork and its eventually yours with that all important ND.

If you want you could give the FFL a story that your uncle mistakenly sent it to you and not a dealer since they didnt completely understand the law and that you just want to get everything back to the "legal" process.

All good thoughts. I appreciate the ideas.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

I would ad that it wouldn't hurt to have your relative have his note/letter notarized, may make things easier.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If he is still alive, it is not an inheritance.

As he is out of state, by Federal law, it MUST go through an FFL.

I quess you could consider that it was loaned to you, but not sure the legalities on that.

I would contact Rusty Shackleford on the forum, he IS a lawyer and could point you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom