• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    We can mark him as an anti!!!

First let me apologize for not responding to your prior emails. Our office has received over 10,000 emails about the proposed gun legislation. Very few, less than 4%, are from the district but the volume has taken a huge amount of time to go through. This has negatively impacted the ability to provide responses as timely as I would like.

Polls have repeatedly showed that constituents in my district, Baltimore County and Maryland want stronger gun control laws. While I respect your opinion on the firearms issue, I must disagree.

I have been a strong supporter of gun control legislation for over twenty years. Gun violence permeates all parts of our community. Homicides, suicides and mass killings point to the need for stronger regulations. I also strongly support our United States and Maryland Constitutions. I have sworn to uphold them and will. Your Constitutional rights are not being abridged by the proposed legislation as your right to own a firearm is not precluded nor are you required to register any firearms you legally own. The courts have made it clear that reasonable regulation of firearms is permitted. This legislation, I believe, is reasonable and will withstand a Constitutional challenge.

Maryland currently bans assault pistols. While longer barrel assault weapons may not be the primary problem, gangs and seriously violent criminals do use them. As we have seen, access to these weapons can increase the potential for killing and maiming. Banning them and larger clips is a step forward.

I want to limit access to children, the mentally ill and criminals. The recent murder of the Corrections official in Colorado highlights the ability of people to legally buy a firearm and then transfer it to someone who is otherwise ineligible to have one. We must take steps to prevent this. I believe that licensing, background checks and training are important parts of this process.

Again, I apologize for not responding before.

Sincerely,

Stephen Lafferty

Wally

Feb 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I was surprised to get a reply as well...

Here's a cut/paste of my e-mail and his response (the response looks a bit similar, eh? :cool:)

---
    Dear Delegate Lafferty,
    Thanks for taking the time to read e-mail from a concerned citizen of District 42.

Re: SB281

My understanding is that you're in support of SB281. I wish I could change your mind. I fear you've heard a lot of the arguments against current gun control legislation and have probably formed a well-entrenched position. That's unfortunate, if true.

Let me place one more thought into that information pool from which you've formed an opinion:

The population of the State of Maryland is relatively evenly split on the issue of gun control. If you poll in a truly ad-hoc manner, you'll see statistically that there are big numbers on both sides of the issue. Both sides feel strongly that they're on the side of virtue, and that their opponents aren't very bright. :-)

What you should pay attention to is the passion of the AGAINST SB281 side. The 2nd Amendment supporters are freakishly involved, plugged-in, and fanatical. There are numerous websites, blogs, and interested businesses that are following the Maryland Legislators through the process of attempting to enact gun control legislation. I can guarantee you the names of the Legislators who ultimately support SB281, no matter the outcome, will be collected and placed on a list for distribution state wide... a list of who to campaign against and vote against in the next state election. Like it or not, the supporters of SB281 will be targeted for replacement in the next election cycle.

Answer one question: Of the likely voting public, which of the two sides in this debate is more likely to forget a Legislator's vote against their respective position?

The 2nd Amendment supporters will not forgive nor lose sight of their political ambitions. They most assuredly will vote in the next state election, and do so as a cohesive bloc. Vote AGAINST SB281, and I'll personally help lead the charge to re-elect you.

Thanks!
    Brian Walsh
    Timonium

========================

First let me apologize for not responding to your prior emails. Our office has received over 10,000 emails about the proposed gun legislation. Very few, less than 4%, are from the district but the volume has taken a huge amount of time to go through. This has negatively impacted the ability to provide responses as timely as I would like.

Polls have repeatedly showed that constituents in my district, Baltimore County and Maryland want stronger gun control laws. While I respect your opinion on the firearms issue, I must disagree.

I have been a strong supporter of gun control legislation for over twenty years. Gun violence permeates all parts of our community. Homicides, suicides and mass killings point to the need for stronger regulations. I also strongly support our United States and Maryland Constitutions. I have sworn to uphold them and will. Your Constitutional rights are not being abridged by the proposed legislation as your right to own a firearm is not precluded nor are you required to register any firearms you legally own. The courts have made it clear that reasonable regulation of firearms is permitted. This legislation, I believe, is reasonable and will withstand a Constitutional challenge.

Maryland currently bans assault pistols. While longer barrel assault weapons may not be the primary problem, gangs and seriously violent criminals do use them. As we have seen, access to these weapons can increase the potential for killing and maiming. Banning them and larger clips is a step forward.

I want to limit access to children, the mentally ill and criminals. The recent murder of the Corrections official in Colorado highlights the ability of people to legally buy a firearm and then transfer it to someone who is otherwise ineligible to have one. We must take steps to prevent this. I believe that licensing, background checks and training are important parts of this process.

Sincerely,

Stephen Lafferty

stonet21

Mar 4, 2009
    I just got the same response from him. I hope somebody is running against him in the primary because this DINO is voting against him.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    We can mark him as an anti!!!

Sincerely,

Stephen Lafferty

There was never a doubt. But he is in 42 and 42 is in play. This works to our advantage in 2014.

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    I got the same exact thing. I faxed Dels. Frank and Aumann too. I know Susan is on our side but I haven't heard from Del. Frank.

GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    I got the same reply from Lafferty. My reply below....

Delegate Lafferty,

I appreciate your response. I am concerned that the proposed legislation seeks to ban a rifle that was not linked to a single murder in Maryland last year, but does not address the factors of mental illness and inappropriate access to firearms. The same committee that voted to send this legislation to the floor is the same committee that gave legislation requiring Maryland to fully participate in the National Instant Check System an unfavorable review. Banning a firearm, while expedient, only creates the illusion of due diligence by lawmakers. Worse still, the same type of gun ban did nothing to lower crime in 1994.

To vote for this legislation is an indicator that you are not truly interested in making Maryland safer, you are simply interested in checking off a box and declaring victory. Only when every other measure has been exhausted should lawmakers seek to limit freedoms guaranteed by the bill of rights. The discussion surrounding guns and safety has only included banning guns used safely and responsibly by millions of citizens and passing laws that punish law abiding citizens. There is nothing in this legislation that will keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Indeed, an amendment to keep criminals convicted of firearms related crimes in prison for their full sentence and deny time off for good behavior was defeated by the same legislators that support this bill. I support a discussion about increasing safety of Maryland citizens that includes ways to limit inappropriate access, but I will not support legislation that is a short cut to the true duty of our elected officials which is to seek solutions while maintaining the principles that this state and country were founded upon.

Drunk drivers kill Maryland citizens every day, yet there is no legislation to ban alcohol because we all instinctively understand that an individual misusing something that is used responsibly by millions isn't the issue. Education and a concerted effort to teach people to store firearms securely will limit inappropriate access, yet there is no discussion on those topics. When this legislation fails to lower the crime rate, will those who voted for it resign their seats? I doubt it. I will actively oppose any member of the Maryland legislature who bows to partisan pressure and votes for a bill that is a sham. I would be in Annapolis today if I were able, but operating rooms run 24 hours a day and I can't simply "take a day off". I will be at the polls when it is time to vote, and I will not be alone as many of my colleagues feel as I do. I hope that you vote against this legislation and push for a true and open discussion about how to keep guns out of the hands of the severely mentally Ill and criminals who don't abide by any laws.

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    Delegates Frank and Aumann are with us in District 42. Lafferty is an Anti. He has been and is a co-sponsor of SB-281.

GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Lafferty is a clown. When crime doesn't go down I hope he resigns in shame for failing miserably to do anything of any real consequence during his brief time in office.

semper000

Mar 24, 2009
    ....,Answer one question: Of the likely voting public, which of the two sides in this debate is more likely to forget a Legislator's vote against their respective position?.....

I really like that part of your response. It's true, who are the ones that are going to remember? The ones who's rights were taken away or the ones that say they should be taken away because the media tells them they should.

Reading some politicians responses just makes me sick of hearing the same garbage. " I am a strong 2nd Amendment or Constitution supporter"
    The hell you are. It's like some politician with coke around the rim of their nose telling me how they are adamantly against drugs. They really think we are stupid.

fax6202

Mar 13, 2013
    I absolutely love the passion with this group as I share those same feelings with regards to the 2nd amendment. My question is this: How strong is this group? There is a reason that these folks are in power as their power base lies in the most populated areas of the state. I live in a republican part of the state but I want to help in any way that I can, please keep the plan posted so that individuals such as myself can do our part

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom