• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Fox News just had a clip from the gun show at the Cow Palace in SF. Lines were similar to what we are seeing here or longer. Scenes inside were elbow to elbow. It was great. I was not thrilled with the reporting from Bill Hemmer though or with the next segment by Martha as both kept referring to "Assault weapons".
    I've never sent an email to a news agency before but felt compelled this time and sent the following although don't expect it will be read:

Bill,
    Why do you join the anti 2nd Amendment folks and continue to call semi-automatic rifles assault weapons. You did it several times in the story about the SF gun show. There was not one single assault weapon sold at that show or at any other gun show. Assault weapons are machine guns which have a fully automatic mode or are only fully automatic. AR15s, AK47s etc. are no different in function than a 30.06 deer rifle. You pull the trigger one round is fired.

"Assault weapon" is an incorrect and intentionally misleading descriptive phrase invented by anti gun groups in the late '80s after losing the battle to ban guns. They then began a campaign to refocus the ban on semi-automatic rifles and zeroed in on "military looking" weapons.

Fox News' claim to fame is the "Fair and Balanced" theme and for the most part you (it) is. I expect more from FNS than any of the other so called news outlets but many of your colleagues continually use the phrase just as MSNBC, CNN and other propaganda media outlets.

I just felt the need to submit my concern.

V/R
    Rickman

Mr H

Banana'd
    I saw the story as well, and thought on balance it was good.

I will also say that FNC in general is doing a lot better in approaching the terminology and concepts.

I have emailed several of the show addresses (some several times) to set them "straight" on things, and it seems others are as well. I'm seeing a change, and that's a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom