• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fogman

I've been putting up with my annual spring/summer groundhog problem. I don't mind if they browse on the clover or daffodils in the yard, but when they dig under the fence or start undermining the shed foundation it's time to go. Just dropped number 1 at 45 yrds. Winchester 70 in .22 Hornet, one shot one dead groundhog. That's got to be my favorite groundhog round, it gets the job done without alot of noise. Much more effective than 17HMR.

Jstevens56

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2012
    Somewhere in Merryland
    My boss has a farm with close to 100 acres and you would not believe how many holes he has on his property. Me and my friend go up once in a while to try and get rid of some of them but whenever we are there the groundhogs are nowhere to be seen. Now if I am there and don't have my gun with me they will be right there in plain sight. Drives me nuts!

I got my thrird one today at home. I used to use a .22 WMR, but they tended to crawl off unless shot in the head. I now use a .223 and Hornady V-Max 55 gr bullets.

Here's number one this year. A 70 yard shot that went in its back. No exit wound, but there was blood coming out of the nose, ears, and mouth.

photo.JPG

Number two. Near where I had planted pumpkins, also about 70 yards. Hit it in the back of the head. Notice that the leaves it was eating are still in its mouth.

photo.JPG

Today's trespasser. A young one that stood up for me. Hit it in the arm pit from 40 yards. It took a nice backwards flip.

photo.JPG

My wife said she saw a "big one" yesterday. I put out some cut cantaloupe today. I can see the groundhog killing zone from where I type this.

Last edited:

Chiaroscuro

Far from the Usual
    Jun 27, 2012
    Glen Arm
    Yup, cantaloupe is the best bait. They love it. Watched one catch himself in the trap eating his way in on the cantaloupe! Pretty funny when the plate slammed down. (can't shoot them here, that would be so much more efficient)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom