• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Don't stop.
    You may be able to convince a jury to let you off, but that will cost you a lot of time and money.

Telling a guy with prostate problems he can't stop to pee is down right cruel. It takes me just under two hours from Bowie to the house of my shooting pal in Jefferson. There's just no way, Jose.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm still confused why anyone would carry and unloaded pistol on themselves anyway.

How long do you think it would take to put the magazine in.... If my spidey sense was tingling, it would already be in there. While you cannot predict all danger, I would rather have access to a firearm and never load it than to not have one at all. I carry by the law whenever I am legally allowed to.

Mark

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    As mentioned there is zero case law on whether you can stop or not. IIRC there is only one case on the definition of "enclosed holster." In that case the Court held that a pistol being carried in a grocery bag/ paper bag did not meet the definition of enclosed holster.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I thought that Enclosed Holster means any holster with a retention strap?

Wasn't there a thread about a man with full auto stuff getting them stolen while eating in a restaurant on his way home from a range?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    As mentioned there is zero case law on whether you can stop or not. IIRC there is only one case on the definition of "enclosed holster." In that case the Court held that a pistol being carried in a grocery bag/ paper bag did not meet the definition of enclosed holster.

Wow, I would think that would meet the definition of enclosed case... :) Well, I'll stop having to carry my LCP in a clear ziplock bag now... :(

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    I wouldn't want to be the test case either. One time, on the way back from On Target, traffic on the beltway was stopped, so I took the left shoulder and creeped along so I wouldn't get sited for stopping while transporting a handgun. People were rolling their windows down yelling at me but once I yelled back that "I have a gun" they understood and let me continue on without impact because they know the law.

OMG.:lol2:

The Shooter

Nov 28, 2010
    A.A. Co
    whats the definition of a loaded gun? if a gun has a mag in it but a round not chambered is that loaded? and it doesn't seem to say how you can transport your ammo. So if you have your gun in a holster and a loaded mag in a holster would that be legal?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    whats the definition of a loaded gun? if a gun has a mag in it but a round not chambered is that loaded? and it doesn't seem to say how you can transport your ammo. So if you have your gun in a holster and a loaded mag in a holster would that be legal?

No, mag loaded and in the gun = loaded gun in MD (and most other states.)

Mag loaded and NOT in the gun = not loaded gun according to the MDAG.

I am not a lawyer...

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    My god-given right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Thank goodness for the 4th and 5th amendments, they can protect the 2nd amendment when the courts and politicians fail!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    My god-given right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    <--- Please... While I agree they should not be infringed, I believe you'd change that tune if you were caught carrying.
    Thank goodness for the 4th and 5th amendments, they can protect the 2nd amendment when the courts and politicians fail!
    <--- Already failed, not doing so well really.

Mark

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    <--- Please... While I agree they should not be infringed, I believe you'd change that tune if you were caught carrying.
    <--- Already failed, not doing so well really.

Mark

Why would I get caught carrying?
    I've been carrying defensive tools for many years without any problems and I know my rights.
    As long as I don't bother anyone or bring extra attention to myself it's just fine.
    Risky? It can be, but ultimately it's my decision and I refuse to be defenseless.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I've always been under the impression that in Maryland if you're gun's magazine was loaded, your weapon was considered loaded.

Where did you see the MDAG's opinion?

ask and ye shall receive

Attachments

• loaded magazines opinion.pdf
      89.6 KB · Views: 445

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I've travelled back and forth to family in WV with some guns, as we go to the range when i'm in town. I have stopped to feed the kids and such, so I can't see how anyone would interpret the law as literally meaning NO STOPS. some are unavoidable. I have stopped at stores and such to/from a range, too, knowing that it was possible that if anyone found out I could be hip deep in manure. Still, I can't see how stopping for gas or a gallon of milk is that big a deal. that said, i'd never have a gun or ammo w/in easy reach and i'd for darn sure never try wearing one loaded, unloaded, in any manner at all without a carry permit and a lawyer to interpret all the restrictions on it. I have no respect for the gun laws in Maryland, but I certainly have great amounts of fear.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I've travelled back and forth to family in WV with some guns, as we go to the range when i'm in town. I have stopped to feed the kids and such, so I can't see how anyone would interpret the law as literally meaning NO STOPS. some are unavoidable. I have stopped at stores and such to/from a range, too, knowing that it was possible that if anyone found out I could be hip deep in manure. Still, I can't see how stopping for gas or a gallon of milk is that big a deal. that said, i'd never have a gun or ammo w/in easy reach and i'd for darn sure never try wearing one loaded, unloaded, in any manner at all without a carry permit and a lawyer to interpret all the restrictions on it. I have no respect for the gun laws in Maryland, but I certainly have great amounts of fear.

I agree with you. But if governments acted reasonably and responsibly Brian Aitken in New Jersey would never have received his seven years sentence for what he did. That too was "no big deal" to anyone with a lick of common sense. In a sane state (which excludes both New Jersey and Maryland) these sorts of cases would never be brought to trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom