• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Just saw our first fawn of the year in downtown Mount Airy. We saw mom, who we've named Dory because she travels alone, last Wednesday are were commenting on how fat she looked. Sure enough, I see her today with a little wobbly legged fawn. Sorry no pictures. Yet. :party29:

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    spotted my first fawn of the year at about 7:00pm as I walked out with the dog... 2 does, 2 fawns... Kingsville area.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Just saw our first fawn of the year in downtown Mount Airy. We saw mom, who we've named Dory because she travels alone, last Wednesday are were commenting on how fat she looked. Sure enough, I see her today with a little wobbly legged fawn. Sorry no pictures. Yet. :party29:

Don't forget the requirement to have at least one foot in the picture with the subject!

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    a8kaca77ac2uqpqidjfd.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I saw my first today. Down by my creek hunting down shadows*. Saw mom and her little un a few seconds before they ran off. I’d guess based on size the wee one was about a month old.

Who knew my future dinner could be so cute.

*Last night my youngest thought she saw a coyote that was large and black down the forest path from her swing. Found nothing but some deer bedded down by the creek at the bottom of the hill in the woods. Now tonight my oldest swears he saw a tote by our shed (it’s next to the path in the woods). Last night neighbor’s goats were also acting up, heard a fox alarming and some neighbors’ dogs barking up a storm while I was poking through the woods. And not because of me. So pretty sure something is out there. Maybe hunting down fawns.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I saw my first one Friday, and ended up chasing it around one of the bigger fields I was mowing. Mostly I saw movement in the grass (which was...a couple feet tall :o) with a few glimpses of brown here and there. At first, I thought it was a big rabbit. When I got a good look, it really didn't seem much bigger. Of course it kept working deeper into the tall grass that I still had to cut:rolleyes: Eventually we got to a point where I could change my mowing pattern and push it over to the woods where I had seen what I'm guessing was it's big brother from last year, and later its mom lurking. I even gave the stink eye to a fox that came through and made sure he kept on his way. How frustrating would that be...to have a tasty little fawn all confused and exhausted that I'm trying my best to keep alive driven right to a waiting fox...Well, not tonight!

Then, Saturday night, when I was mowing a field on the whole other side of the farm, I ran over a fawn :banghead: I don't know if it was the same one from the night before. It would have had to travel about a 3/4 of a mile (or further, to avoid the barns and "civilization" in between). It appeared to be about the same size. I never saw it alive...I never saw anything move in the grass or any indication that there were any living creatures in the field other than the bugs and me. When I came around for another pass, there was its mushed up little body laying in the cut grass:sad20: So that bummed me out :mad:

I guess the fox probably ate well that weekend after all. :shrug:

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I saw my first one Friday, and ended up chasing it around one of the bigger fields I was mowing. Mostly I saw movement in the grass (which was...a couple feet tall :o) with a few glimpses of brown here and there. At first, I thought it was a big rabbit. When I got a good look, it really didn't seem much bigger. Of course it kept working deeper into the tall grass that I still had to cut:rolleyes: Eventually we got to a point where I could change my mowing pattern and push it over to the woods where I had seen what I'm guessing was it's big brother from last year, and later its mom lurking. I even gave the stink eye to a fox that came through and made sure he kept on his way. How frustrating would that be...to have a tasty little fawn all confused and exhausted that I'm trying my best to keep alive driven right to a waiting fox...Well, not tonight!

Then, Saturday night, when I was mowing a field on the whole other side of the farm, I ran over a fawn :banghead: I don't know if it was the same one from the night before. It would have had to travel about a 3/4 of a mile (or further, to avoid the barns and "civilization" in between). It appeared to be about the same size. I never saw it alive...I never saw anything move in the grass or any indication that there were any living creatures in the field other than the bugs and me. When I came around for another pass, there was its mushed up little body laying in the cut grass:sad20: So that bummed me out :mad:

I guess the fox probably ate well that weekend after all. :shrug:

To quote a Vietnam combat vet, sh!t happens. Could be the bigger was dead when you got to it.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    A have jumped a few in the last month, I go over and shoot (~250 rnds) and then walk around cleaning up and looking for tracks when they pop up, they do not move an inch until I'm within a foot! Shooting Sunday one popped out and the spots were gone already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom