• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015

Now, that's a helpful post. :rolleyes:

I pulled out my letter and it indeed only states the ability to buy more than one regulated firearm in a 30 day period.

So, I have no idea where I got the "transport for exhibition" exemption idea, but I know I've read it and evidently I'm not the only one. Anyone know where that came from?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

I pulled out my letter and it indeed only states the ability to buy more than one regulated firearm in a 30 day period.

So, I have no idea where I got the "transport for exhibition" exemption idea, but I know I've read it and evidently I'm not the only one. Anyone know where that came from?

I have read that somewhere as well. Thats why I asked.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    A myth has perpetuated that "as a collector" you can travel and show people your "collection." The DC letter ONLY allows you to purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30 day period in the state of MD. I think the phrase "bona fide collector", which is not defined, has also floated around.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

See? It was helpful. It got you to pull out the letter and actually read it!

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Sorry - I am 100% not an attorney.

I store my weapon at my local range that offers vault storage (since my building does not allow firearms or ammo).
    I am sure that the state or Fed Gov has rules about weapon storage (especially if they are NFA items).

Hopefully more knowledgeable members weigh in.
    Frankly, I'd like to know for my own edification.

Sounds like an easy lawsuit to win. Is the entire bill of rights prohibited in your building?

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    A myth has perpetuated that "as a collector" you can travel and show people your "collection." The DC letter ONLY allows you to purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30 day period in the state of MD. I think the phrase "bona fide collector", which is not defined, has also floated around.

And the question at hand is where did that "myth" come from and is there some other instrument that allows it, or is it something someone here just made up and got repeated and believed.

See? It was helpful. It got you to pull out the letter and actually read it!

I read it before your post. :P

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    Sounds like an easy lawsuit to win. Is the entire bill of rights prohibited in your building?

Heheh, I hear ya. If it was JUST the building, I might raise a stink.

My wife is super sensitive to chemicals (especially the ones used to clean after Range Time - we know those chemicals trigger horrible asthma episodes) and she really does not care for being around firearms.

She knows it IS important to me...so she indulges all my purchases without so much as a peep. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Maryland Code, Criminal Law 4-203
    . . .
    (b) This section does not prohibit:
    . . .
    (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector’s gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

. . . So saith Maryland COMAR

Link:
    https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/maryland/md-laws/maryland_laws_criminal_law_4-203

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    . . .
    . . .
    (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector’s gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Link:
    https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/maryland/md-laws/maryland_laws_criminal_law_4-203

many thanks as well BOB A. This helps answer my original post as well.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    . . .
    . . .

Link:

I wonder how many guns a court would consider a "collection", and how many more it would take to constitute an "arsenal"?:D

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Now define "bona fide collector". This has nothing to do with designated collector. The DC letter has one sole purpose and creating a special transportation clause isn't it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Until a court decides the legal definition of Bona Fide as used in statute 4-203 using that as a defense for transporting a handgun to a non allowed location remains a dicey proposition IMO.

The statute only applies to handguns and long guns defined as handguns ie. SBR or SBS

IANAL

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Legal definitions aren't necessarily the same as what is in everyday use. However, with that in mind, the actual definitions are quite different.

Designate would equate to assigning a status while bona fide is something that already is.

Bona Fide: genuine; real.
    "only bona fide members of the company are allowed to use the logo"
    synonyms: authentic, genuine, real, true, actual, sterling, sound, legal, legitimate, lawful, valid, unadulterated, unalloyed, proper, straight, fair and square; informal honest-to-goodness, legit, pukka, on the level, the real McCoy
    "each partner is entitled to an indemnity for all bona fide expenses"

Designated:appoint (someone) to a specified position.
    "he was designated as prime minister"
    synonyms: appoint, nominate, depute, delegate; select, choose, pick, decide on, settle on; elect, name, identify, assign, allot, co-opt, ordain, induct; informal plump for
    "some organizations designate a press officer within the PR office"
    officially assign a specified status or ascribe a specified name or quality to.
    "certain schools are designated “science schools”"
    synonyms: classify, class, pronounce, label, tag; name, call, entitle, term, christen, dub, style, brand; formaldenominate
    "a few of the rivers are designated “Sites of Special Scientific Interest”"
    signify; indicate.
    "the term “brainstem” designates the medulla, pons, and mesencephalon"

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    What is in question is if the Designation by MSP makes you Bona Fide according to the wording in 4-203

The court will have to answer that absent a definition in the statute

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    What is in question is if the Designation by MSP makes you Bona Fide according to the wording in 4-203

The court will have to answer that absent a definition in the statute

Only in question on MDS. So who wants to get arrested and be the test case?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I am looking for guidance on storage law.

Am I able to store some of my collection at a family members house, inside of a safe? I am not sure if that is within the law or if everything I own, needs to be at my residence.

Any legal eagles know anything about this?

A wise old owl sat in oak
    The more he saw, the less he spoke
    The less he spoke, the more he heard
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom