• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    After listening to some the the patriots yesterday, I would like to follow up with the judicial proceedings committee, and my senator. Several brought up the email that O’Malley had Paul Peditto violate the COMPASS data base and send out the email about not coming for hunting firearms. Just wondering if anyone may have saved it. I searched my email history with no luck. If someone still has the body of that message and could send it to me, or post it, I would appreciate it.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Thanks! You guys are fast! I checked through my email, and the closest thing I found was my reply to about accessing the database for political purposes.

FGT1958

I Found This

Hope it is what you are looking for.

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts on Senate Bill 281/House Bill 294 - Firearm Safety Act of 2013. As you may know, the Firearm Safety Act of 2013 passed both chambers and I signed it into law on May 16, 2013.

The Firearm Safety Act of 2013 contains several provisions that will make Maryland families safer from gun violence. Specifically, the law does the following:
    Bans future sales of certain military-style assault weapons to civilians. Weapons purchased prior to October 1, 2013 would be grandfathered and there is no need to register those previously purchased in Maryland. Maryland manufacturers may still make and sell to military, law enforcement, and out-of-state dealers.
    Reduces the allowable magazine capacity from 20 rounds to 10, making it harder for criminals to gun down, in succession, police officers, school children, or innocent bystanders, without having to re-load.
    Requires common-sense licensing requirements for future handgun purchases, with fingerprinting, background checks, and training in order to prevent straw purchases, illegal gun trafficking, and the day-to-day gun violence in our communities. This provision does not apply to traditional hunting rifles or shotguns and a number of groups, such as law enforcement and military, are exempt.
    Expands the definition of who is prohibited from possessing or buying a gun due to mental incapacity and dangerousness, to include those found not criminally responsible, incompetent to stand trial, voluntarily committed for more than 30 days, and involuntarily committed to a mental facility for any length of time. This insures the safety of the person who is mentally ill and that of the public at large.
    Requires an individual who loses a regulated firearm, or whose regulated firearm is stolen, to alert law enforcement that the firearm is missing or face a civil fine (or a 90 day misdemeanor for a subsequent offense.)
    Makes the use of “cop-killer” bullets, which penetrate protective vests, in a crime of violence a separate criminal offense.
    The causes of gun violence are complex, multifaceted and not easily resolved. However, these common sense measures will save lives, reduce gun violence and keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

Your feedback and opinions are important to me and I truly appreciate hearing from you. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,

Governor Martin O'Malley

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Thanks all! I bet none of the committee even remembers when that email went out. It was a great point brought up by the man that let them know.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I always find humor in the "and military are exempt". What part of the military buys their weapons personally at gun stores in any state? Are they allowed to carry their service rifle 24/7? Is that rifle personally owned after you join the military? Such a stupid exemption. LEO are also issued their duty rifles. Does that apply to private purchase and ownership?

Raven-lab

Feb 15, 2013
    Catonsville
    Mine was specific to junior hunting, the next to last sentence is interesting.......

February 7, 2013

Dear Friend,
    I wanted to make sure you are aware of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources' latest Junior Waterfowl Hunting Day, which takes place this Saturday, February 9. Junior Hunting Days provide wonderful opportunities for young hunters and their adult mentors to get outside and enjoy the proud tradition of hunting in Maryland.

Hunting is a part of our history and is woven into the fabric of our State’s culture. We appreciate everything you and all other conservation-minded hunters do for Maryland.

I also want to take this opportunity to address you directly about the proposal we recently introduced to reduce gun violence. Our goal is to enact common sense proposals to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals, and to try to reduce the risk of a mass shooting like the one that occurred in Newtown.

Let me be clear: We are committed to protecting hunters and their traditions. That's why we specifically carved out shotguns and rifles from the licensing requirements of our bill.

This bill will NOT impact your ability to introduce a young hunter to the sport and the conservation stewardship ethic borne of that experience.

Good luck on Saturday and I look forward to hearing your stories from the field.

Sincerely,

Created by DPE, Copyright IRIS 2005

Martin O’Malley
    Governor

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Mine was specific to junior hunting, the next to last sentence is interesting.......

February 7, 2013

Dear Friend,
    I wanted to make sure you are aware of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources' latest Junior Waterfowl Hunting Day, which takes place this Saturday, February 9. Junior Hunting Days provide wonderful opportunities for young hunters and their adult mentors to get outside and enjoy the proud tradition of hunting in Maryland.

Hunting is a part of our history and is woven into the fabric of our State’s culture. We appreciate everything you and all other conservation-minded hunters do for Maryland.

I also want to take this opportunity to address you directly about the proposal we recently introduced to reduce gun violence. Our goal is to enact common sense proposals to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals, and to try to reduce the risk of a mass shooting like the one that occurred in Newtown.

Let me be clear: We are committed to protecting hunters and their traditions. That's why we specifically carved out shotguns and rifles from the licensing requirements of our bill.

This bill will NOT impact your ability to introduce a young hunter to the sport and the conservation stewardship ethic borne of that experience.

Good luck on Saturday and I look forward to hearing your stories from the field.

Sincerely,

Created by DPE, Copyright IRIS 2005

Martin O’Malley
    Governor

Can someone please actually forward that email from Gov. O'Malley to me at mpennak@marylandshallissue.org? Many thanks. That way, is will have an actual copy of the original email, necessary for evidence and admissibility purposes.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Does anyone have the that was written someone,I forget the name,about if you are caring concealed and are stopped beside the road, and the officer thinks you are outside your restrictions and does not even know if you are inside your restrictions or not, that if you tell the officer you might be violating your constitutional rights about self incrimination? If you do have a copy or can tell me where i can find it please send me a PM or a copy of the letter. Thanks

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I always find humor in the "and military are exempt". What part of the military buys their weapons personally at gun stores in any state? Are they allowed to carry their service rifle 24/7? Is that rifle personally owned after you join the military? Such a stupid exemption. LEO are also issued their duty rifles. Does that apply to private purchase and ownership?

I think it's a "us against them" type of thing. Many people are fully content with the "police and military" being exempted from just about anything under the sun.

Me? I say ef it, why should we (specifically) exempt LEOs from anything? Take a spin up and down route 40 this morning, you will 100% absolutely see a State Trooper doing 70+ in a 55 while using a handheld electronic device.

That's just one example.

I think the point is, they (Legislators) would love to be able to say "Hey, look over here, these bums don't support the military and cops!"

Nothing more.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I sent an email to the judicial proceedings committee members, along with a cc to my district senator and delegates last night. Thanks for the help! I don’t remember the gentleman’s name that brought it up during the public comment, but that was great. I wish I would have had the foresight to save that email from 2013.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Here is the email I sent to all of the senate judicial proceedings committee, along with the text of the email from O’Malley:

Good evening,
    I attended the committee hearings yesterday. I was one of the five people allowed in the room during the initial statement on the bill. I also stayed through the entire day to listen to, and have my minute to address the committee. In addition, I submitted written testimony. I am following up to thank you for the opportunity.

During the time for public comment, I recall one gentleman who brought up the message from former Governor O’Malley. I have included a copy of the email which specifically highlights FSA 2013, which was being deliberated and voted on at the time. I would like to call to your attention that what is being proposed now is specifically what we were advised WOULD NOT occur.

Thank you,
    ChrisD
    Conowingo, MD

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Here is the email I sent to all of the senate judicial proceedings committee, along with the text of the email from O’Malley:

Good evening,
    I attended the committee hearings yesterday. I was one of the five people allowed in the room during the initial statement on the bill. I also stayed through the entire day to listen to, and have my minute to address the committee. In addition, I submitted written testimony. I am following up to thank you for the opportunity.

During the time for public comment, I recall one gentleman who brought up the message from former Governor O’Malley. I have included a copy of the email which specifically highlights FSA 2013, which was being deliberated and voted on at the time. I would like to call to your attention that what is being proposed now is specifically what we were advised WOULD NOT occur.

Thank you,
    ChrisD
    Conowingo, MD

they really don't care. They will tell you whatever they need to tell you to get whatever they need. Then they will do it again, and again. These forums have said over and over again that they are coming for all guns. They just have to do it one by one because if they just had an outright gun ban, there would be what they consider to many guns in the public for them to enforce the ban upon. But, if they erode gun ownership little by little then each generation will have less and less guns and less and less want/need/ability to oppose them. They are playing the long game and it's working.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Good evening,

Thank you,
    ChrisD
    Conowingo, MD
    That's great that you're holding them accountable in this way. Yes, many ways to weasel out of what O'Malley promised, but it adds pressure and is something notable to share with any press that might be trying to balance the reporting on these bills.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It very clearly points out why compromise does not work because they don't keep their word. Compromise is just a temporary pause in their march to total gun elimination.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Blacksmith, that is what the fella that brought up the email essentially said to them. That he had no faith in government.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Hope it is what you are looking for.

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts on Senate Bill 281/House Bill 294 - Firearm Safety Act of 2013. As you may know, the Firearm Safety Act of 2013 passed both chambers and I signed it into law on May 16, 2013.

The Firearm Safety Act of 2013 contains several provisions that will make Maryland families safer from gun violence. Specifically, the law does the following:
    Bans future sales of certain military-style assault weapons to civilians. Weapons purchased prior to October 1, 2013 would be grandfathered and there is no need to register those previously purchased in Maryland. Maryland manufacturers may still make and sell to military, law enforcement, and out-of-state dealers.
    Reduces the allowable magazine capacity from 20 rounds to 10, making it harder for criminals to gun down, in succession, police officers, school children, or innocent bystanders, without having to re-load.
    Requires common-sense licensing requirements for future handgun purchases, with fingerprinting, background checks, and training in order to prevent straw purchases, illegal gun trafficking, and the day-to-day gun violence in our communities. This provision does not apply to traditional hunting rifles or shotguns and a number of groups, such as law enforcement and military, are exempt.
    Expands the definition of who is prohibited from possessing or buying a gun due to mental incapacity and dangerousness, to include those found not criminally responsible, incompetent to stand trial, voluntarily committed for more than 30 days, and involuntarily committed to a mental facility for any length of time. This insures the safety of the person who is mentally ill and that of the public at large.
    Requires an individual who loses a regulated firearm, or whose regulated firearm is stolen, to alert law enforcement that the firearm is missing or face a civil fine (or a 90 day misdemeanor for a subsequent offense.)
    Makes the use of “cop-killer” bullets, which penetrate protective vests, in a crime of violence a separate criminal offense.
    The causes of gun violence are complex, multifaceted and not easily resolved. However, these common sense measures will save lives, reduce gun violence and keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

Your feedback and opinions are important to me and I truly appreciate hearing from you. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,

Governor Martin O'Malley

What are the “number of groups” that weren’t mentioned? They said “such as” so that would be more than the 2 mentioned, right?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Some of you may recall that MSP outsourced much of their paperwork dealing with approvals for purchase back in 2013, which resulted in a possible breach of confidential data provided by gun owners, since those processing the paper were not MSP members.

After some outcry, the state offered a year's worth of monitoring - I think thru Lifelock? - to ensure that a datat breach could be contained.

I don't recall that anyone's data was actually compromised. Just the same, it reflects poorly on MSP (as what doesn't?). I don't suppose it could be construed as the "OPM breach for the rest of us" but it might be worth considering as part of one's G&S. Even if they deny that your data was in fact compromised, putting MSP on a defensive stance might be a leg up on the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom