• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm not sure that's why it's being done. The Senator or Delegate proposing the legislation doesn't have to stay anyway (Del Ivey noped out of there immediately after presenting his bill Tuesday at 2am) and many of them have other hearings throughout the day that they have to leave for.

Even if they stay, there's no guarantee they'll listen (afaik Del Dumais was on her phone the entire time people were testifying against her bill).

Personally, I wish there was a rule that required them to stay, maybe would cut down on some of the 'legislation for legislation's sake' as it were.

The committee however, will stay for the whole thing. I'm not sure what the requirements there are, but just leaving when there's still testimony if there's not some sort of emergency is just not done, according to MGA veteran staffers I know. They are there to hear your concerns, and from my experience they give the job at least that much respect. You will see them eating at the desk for these hearings, its just expected of them to be there as part of being on the committee.

For instance, House Judiciary committee chair (Del. Clippinger) was there almost the whole time on Monday/Tuesday for the 18-hour hearing, and from what I heard he was nothing short of respectful and courteous the entire time.

I'd bet it's so if it goes all night, the "important people" can go home without missing anything "important" and leave some junior members to sit in chairs.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    MJD, (or anyone) can you keep us posted when they get to the gun bills again? I'll tune in to the live feed then.

Thanks

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    The committee is on SB 599 now. The irony is incredible. Hearings to block state government cooperation with ICE for real criminals, and a bill that could criminalize law abiding citizens for not complying with a scheme to license a constitutional right on the same day.
    Denver's city council got way loony with it. They decriminalized pubilic urination and public defecation so that homeless illegals wouldn't be arrested for pissing on the sidewalk and then have ICE come and pick them up upon release. I'm really tempted to go take a dump on the sidewalk in front of each council member's house.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    We're being given 1 minute to talk on three completely unrelated bills. Tune in now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RayK

Apr 25, 2016
    Odenton, MD.
    I had to leave at noon today. I hope all went well. Thanks to everyone that stayed the long haul Monday and today. Hopefully this all works in our favor. I'd hate to pick up my whole life and move. My twitter handle is @bucketsoflead if anyone is on there.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    I had to leave at noon today. I hope all went well. Thanks to everyone that stayed the long haul Monday and today. Hopefully this all works in our favor. I'd hate to pick up my whole life and move. My twitter handle is @bucketsoflead if anyone is on there.

Hey buddy. Western md Patriot here. Good to find your shooters handle too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wubbabubba

Feb 27, 2019
    Found it. Lewis speaking against the HBAR bill. Noted that there is no cross filed bill in the Senate.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

So if I understand this correctly, there is no companion Senate legislation for the HBAR ban bill? That seems like a good sign.

It also seems like a good sign that no House leadership has signed onto that HBAR ban bill like Dumais did with other anti-gun bills intro'd on Monday.

So while it does have 4 "yes" votes on the 20+ person Judiciary Committee (because those 4 are cosponsors) it doesn't seem like that bill has much more support than that.

Am I wrong to feel encouraged that bill doesn't look like it'll pass out of committee?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    So if I understand this correctly, there is no companion Senate legislation for the HBAR ban bill? That seems like a good sign.

It also seems like a good sign that no House leadership has signed onto that HBAR ban bill like Dumais did with other anti-gun bills intro'd on Monday.

So while it does have 4 "yes" votes on the 20+ person Judiciary Committee (because those 4 are cosponsors) it doesn't seem like that bill has much more support than that.

Am I wrong to feel encouraged that bill doesn't look like it'll pass out of committee?

Dont get comfortable in the least

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

It is never good to feel encouraged whenever the Maryland General Assembly is in session because it is never safe or a done deal until after Sine Die (April 8th the 90th Day – ADJOURNMENT “SINE DIE” (Monday))

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom