• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've done a little bit of crabbing over the years with dip nets and collapsible baskets. This year, I'd really like to fish for them with a trot line.

Can anyone give me a rundown on what basic equipment I need, where to get it, and basic tactics (where to try, time of year/day, etc.)? Or perhaps even better, maybe someone can point me to a good resource for reading about this or a video to watch.

I have a small skiff with a 40 hp motor in the lower Potomac. So I think all I need is some line, cinder blocks, floats, a net and bait...but I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    There are some good videos of people running line in MD, absolute best way would be to find someone willing to let you ride along. It's SIMPLE but also easy to waste time and money re-inventing the wheel.

My shit is mint condition, had a terrible year last year and barely got out much the year before. If there was a contest for the cleanest and fanciest useless shit stored in your basement.... I'd be a grand champion.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Personally, my setup is two small collapsible anchors, two homer buckets for floats. 1200 feet of trotline(think it’s 1/4” soft lay) I also use snoods spaces every 6 feet. Two anchor to float lines, two float to trotline chain, three sections of 3’ chain. You will also need to make a prop stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I run 600ft between two cinder blocks with 5/8 chain on each end.

I also have a bunch of collapsible traps and rings. I set the line and two strings of the traps/rings and pretty much spend the day going string to string.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    What you are going to find is that people prefer different snood spacing, specific propstick configurations and choice of bait (necks or razor clams) depending on the area and time of year.

[YT]zuVfIvD5oDs[/YT]

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I used Capt Bruce (up this way) for all my gear, fair prices and he can build the line however you want or just sell the parts. I bought the line and snoods and tied my own. I have also slip knotted an entire 1,200 foot line, unless you feel the need to hearken back the olden days...... I don't recommend slip knotting necks.

[YT]A5xgFeAVlU4[/YT]

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Wow, thanks for all the fast replies! I actually watched the above video last night and that's what got realizing I don't understand how it works. Definitely looks simple but I can't quite see what he's doing.

What is the purpose of the chain? What is a propstick? Do you pick up and move to another location after getting crabs off a line or stay where you are if they're biting? Do you try to get them near structure, in channels, out in the flats? Maybe it depends on conditions? The tide goes up and down about 6 feet where I go, but it can vary a few feet on either side of that. I'm not sure if that matters.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I used Capt Bruce (up this way) for all my gear, fair prices and he can build the line however you want or just sell the parts. I bought the line and snoods and tied my own. I have also slip knotted an entire 1,200 foot line, unless you feel the need to hearken back the olden days...... I don't recommend slip knotting necks.

[YT]A5xgFeAVlU4[/YT]

Does Capt Bruce have a shop? Maybe I can just get my gear and some advice on getting started from him? There is nothing like just having someone explain and show you things in person.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Wow, thanks for all the fast replies! I actually watched the above video last night and that's what got realizing I don't understand how it works. Definitely looks simple but I can't quite see what he's doing.

What is the purpose of the chain? What is a propstick? Do you pick up and move to another location after getting crabs off a line or stay where you are if they're biting? Do you try to get them near structure, in channels, out in the flats? Maybe it depends on conditions? The tide goes up and down about 6 feet where I go, but it can vary a few feet on either side of that. I'm not sure if that matters.
    Chain is used to weight the line down when it comes off the floats.

Prop stick is used for steering, generally near the roller so you can dip and still steer.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Yes, but hes a typical hillbilly type, works out of a little barn by appointment only.

Hes got a pretty nice website with tips on what to use, who uses what, etc.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I will move my line with the tides and where the crabs are biting depth wise. The creek I work I generally set along a drop off.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    One thing I learned the 1st time I ran a trot line is you need the 'net' that is metal, a 'dipping' net.
    The mesh net will bugger the whole works up and you'll lose more crabs than you catch.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Chain is used to weight the line down when it comes off the floats.

Prop stick is used for steering, generally near the roller so you can dip and still steer.

Prop stick isn't for steering, but used in place of a roller. Normally
    made into a hook shape out of PVC or steel pipe. some have a rubber flap hanging so snoods and bait don't tangle around pipe.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Interesting. That's what my old man called it. Thanks for the info

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Derwood
    Are you around frederick by chance? I can show you my gear so you get a hands on feel for it. Better yet run you to one of my spots and "learn ya" sometime this summer. I have all the gear in my garage just waiting and waiting for spring/summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom