• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I understand that. I was sitting in the front row of the MSI meeting and heard Jack say FOPA applied in MD.

I am on record as disagreeing with his opinion, and I agree with your view completely.

IANAL

I heard that too and I think Jack misspoke. FOPA does incorporate maryland law to some degree, as FOPA says that in order for the transport of the firearm to be protected by FOPA, it has to be legal to both possess and carry in the "place" of origin, as well as legal to possess and carry in the "place" of destination. If Maryland is your 'origin' then the legality would be controlled by Maryland law. Under 4-203, it is legal to possess and carry in your residence, assuming that you are not an otherwise disqualified person. So if you transport a firearm directly from your residence to some other place outside of maryland (say Vermont or VA), where it is legal to possess and carry, then FOPA applies to the transportation of the firearm. As I read FOPA, it applies only to the "transport" between states, not the possession in any other circumstances, e.g., where you are stopped for gas or shopping (what constitutes "transport" outside the actual movement of the vehicle en route is a gray area, go there at your own risk). BTW, as should be apparent, FOPA puts a premium on the possession of CCW permits, as such permits establish the legality of your possession and carrying at the "place" of your origin or the "place" of your destination. Such permits may help avoid an arrest, as the police will arrest first and investigate later if they have any doubts on whether FOPA applies, assuming that they know of FOPA in the first place.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I also disagree and I believe you have also with the AG when he says that FOPA cannot apply in MD because you "can't carry and possess"

Maybe he should reread his own statutes.

sheesh

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The other salient point is that under the MD statute no exception is made for out of state travel, only the limited ones specified. You'd certainly have to raise a FOPA defense if charged since you weren't engaged in a MD allowed exception if stopped in MD going out of state.

IANAL

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The other salient point is that under the MD statute no exception is made for out of state travel, only the limited ones specified. You'd certainly have to raise a FOPA defense if charged since you weren't engaged in a MD allowed exception if stopped in MD going out of state.

IANAL

Exactly, unless, of course, you were, e.g., going to a range out of state, then you might have a case in as much as 4-203 does not specify that the range has to be in Maryland. In any event, FOPA is an affirmative defense that you will have to establish. Don't expect the officer to be sympathetic.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    *knock* *knock* "Candygram"

land-shark.jpg

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Exactly, unless, of course, you were, e.g., going to a range out of state, then you might have a case in as much as 4-203 does not specify that the range has to be in Maryland. In any event, FOPA is an affirmative defense that you will have to establish. Don't expect the officer to be sympathetic.

But if I'm actually traveling, FOPA seems to be my only defense in MD.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I am not giving legal advice here, but as I read the law for my own travel, FOPA does not apply to travel that starts and ends in Maryland. 4-203 applies. Only 4-203. I proceed accordingly.

I presume this does not mean that to be fopa compliant one must never return home..

Travel that never leaves the state is one thing. Travel that involves leaving the state and returning is another.. I do not think an overnight stay Is required..

And according to some states an overnight stay removes FOPA protection.. yes its a mess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom