• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jackhammer74

Feb 11, 2015
    Montgomery Village
    I'm a new gun owner and not the most familiar with all of Maryland's confusing gun laws.
    Recently my father in law offered giving to me his old .22LR bolt action rifle, he didn't even tell me what manufacturer. He just said "you figure out the paperwork and it's yours".

I've done some searching but can't find anything specific. Can someone help me please? What do I need to do? Are .22LR rifles even regulated in MD?

jackhammer74

Feb 11, 2015
    Montgomery Village
    Thank you guys for he replies, I have to check how my account is setup, I thought that I would get email notification of responses, but I didn't.
    Yes we are both MD and MOCO residents.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    He can just hand it to you, or to be belt and suspenders about it, he can hand you a simple bill of sale with it.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    As amazing as it seems, some things really are just this simple. Have a cup of coffee with your dad, he hands you the rifle, you both go on about your Merry way.

Congratulations!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    He doesn't need the original bill of sale. What was being suggested is that you make a bill of sale between the two of you. Isn't even necessary, but you can.

Yeah, the new bill of sale between him and you is to show that you are the legal owner of the gun. Essentially, draft up a bill of sale showing that you bought it from him for $1. I did this when I bought a shotgun from an ex once. Only shotgun that I have bought "used". Thing is, I was present for every single shell that went through that shotgun, but this is all a story for another day.

Congrats on the new to you gun.

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    Good for you for checking though! It's always best to be 100% inside the law.

And I agree. MD laws can be pretty goofy. But this is one of the very few occasions where it's insanely cut and dry. One hand to the other. Done deal. Enjoy the .22! They're more fun than just about anything.

I would give it a really good look over too. depending on how old it is you'll want to make sure it's safe to fire. Youtube is a gold mine of information on this type of stuff. Look up the model number and I promise someone will have a video on how to break it down and inspect it.

jackhammer74

Feb 11, 2015
    Montgomery Village
    Definitely wanted to be sure that I was doing everything to the letter of the law, I didn't want to jeopardize my HQL, I just went through all the hooha to get it back in November. All in expectation of my combined Birthday/Christmas gift from the wife, a new Sig P320.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    here are some BOS forms if you want to use one.

Attachments

• billofsale.pdf
      87.1 KB · Views: 102
    • maryland-firearm-bill-of-sale-form.pdf
      189.9 KB · Views: 1,396

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981