April 3, 2019 update on Maryland anti-gun legislation please...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    With all the threads that go back several months or even years, it is very hard to track the current state of things in Maryland for a guy new to the area. So...

1) What is the current status of any of Maryland's gun laws undergoing judicial review at any level and

2) What new/pending anti-gun legislation is happening in Maryland?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    With all the threads that go back several months or even years, it is very hard to track the current state of things in Maryland for a guy new to the area. So...

1) What is the current status of any of Maryland's gun laws undergoing judicial review at any level and

2) What new/pending anti-gun legislation is happening in Maryland?

Yeah, it really is not all that easy to sum everything up in a nice neat little paragraph. So, here is a legislation tracker from Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association. Find the bills you are interested in and see what their status is.

https://www.msrpa.org/2019-maryland-general-assembly-bill-tracker/

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Yeah, it really is not all that easy to sum everything up in a nice neat little paragraph. So, here is a legislation tracker from Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association. Find the bills you are interested in and see what their status is.

https://www.msrpa.org/2019-maryland-general-assembly-bill-tracker/

To provide some background:
    • The tracker is updated nightly (most of the time; I do occasionally miss for reasons outside of my control).
    • If a bill is listed as "Hearing - <insert date/time here>", that is when it is scheduled to be heard in the committee noted at the end of the line.
    • If a bill is listed as "Heard - <insert date/time here>", that is when the bill hearing was actually performed in the committee listed at the end of the line. If this is the last entry for the bill, it means that the committee has not brought the issue up for a vote. It does not mean that the bill is "dead" - no bill is dead until the gavels fall at midnight on Sine Die.
    • If the bill is listed as "Favorable Report / Favorable Report w/Amend" - it means that the bill was voted on by the committee listed at the end of the line. "w/Amend" means it was amended by the committee during the voting process.
    • If the bill is listed as "2nd Reading Passed / 2nd Reading Passed w/Amend" - it means that it was presented by the committee to the entire voting body (House or Senate). It may have been further amended on the floor session.
    • If the bill is listed as "3rd Reader Passed / 3rd Reader Passed w/Amend", it means that the current assigned body (House or Senate) has had its full vote on the bill and is ready to present the bill to the opposing body. This vote is a roll call vote and will be shown on the Bill Home Page approximately 24-48 hours after the vote.
    • If the Bill is listed as "Returned Passed", it has passed both bodies and is now ready for presentation to the Governor for his signature, silent passage (without his signature), or veto.

You can find:
    • The Bill Home Page by clicking on the Bill Number.
    • The Text of the Bill by clicking on the Bill Title.
    • The Committee Home page by clicking on the Committee.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Thanks for the quick response. The tracker looks like a great tool.

Unfortunatley, I am so new to the state that I don't even know where to start. I only know about the bill that passed several years ago and then the more recent one about people reporting their neighbors and family members who own guns (which seems to be a type of bill that is spreading around the country like wildfire).

That is my biggest interest/concern. Is anyone in Maryland or elsewhere around the country finding success in the courts in challenging the latter legislation that seems to me to be a matter of unwarranted search and seizure.

And then wondering what else might be coming down the pike in terms of further restrictions in the state of Maryland.

And finally wondering if there are any sheriffs in Maryland following the lead of some of the western sheriffs who are making it clear that they will not enforce what they deem to be unconstitutional gun laws passed by states.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

Unfortunatley, I am so new to the state that I don't even know where to start. I only know about the bill that passed several years ago and then the more recent one about people reporting their neighbors and family members who own guns (which seems to be a type of bill that is spreading around the country like wildfire).

That is my biggest interest/concern. Is anyone in Maryland or elsewhere around the country finding success in the courts in challenging the latter legislation that seems to me to be a matter of unwarranted search and seizure.

And then wondering what else might be coming down the pike in terms of further restrictions in the state of Maryland.

And finally wondering if there are any sheriffs in Maryland following the lead of some of the western sheriffs who are making it clear that they will not enforce what they deem to be unconstitutional gun laws passed by states.

For a quick look at existing MD gun laws in general, go to (and join :D ) Maryland Shall Issue at https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/index.php
    For a sometimes tedious status on pending infringements, read the most recent threads in the Maryland 2A Issues forum.

The latter is especially pertinent since the current legislative session is due to wrap up next Monday.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland

I applaud your desire to inform yourself and stay abreast of these issues, especially in this state. The Democratic establishment has a stranglehold on both houses of the Maryland General Assembly that is decades old, and although we might start seeing cracks appear in that after M+M finally go, for the moment we are all still at the mercy of that system, barring victory in the courts.

Although it may seem like it, no group of people, not even in a machine like this one, is a perfect unit that follows all directives efficiently and consistently. It is up to us to put as much pressure on those parts of the machine that will have the greatest impact when it comes to legislation we are concerned with. This means we have to pay extra attention to the laws themselves, the political dynamics peculiar to the MGA, and the personalities involved.

I admit freely that the level of my concern and interest with MD firearms law has only paralleled my interest in firearms. I was not aware in 2013, or even in 2018, of what the legislature was trying to do, and I regret that ignorance. This is a state where we cannot be satisfied with merely voting for like-minded candidates. We have to put the pressure on where we can to sway people in key positions of influence over the process (committee chairs etc) because our stated interests are a minority view, at least when it comes to electoral calculations.

So I'm glad you're interested and aware, and I hope you help others to be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom