• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I'm looking for antenna ideas. I currently run "portable" even at home. Current set-up (when set up):
    Yaesu Ft-891 (100 Watts)
    Wolf River Coils "Sporty 40" coil and 213" telescopic whip
    50' Messi&Paoloni POTA-Flex-7 (LMR-240 before the POTA-Flex was released)

Wanting to avoid:
    tuner
    amplifier
    Displeased wife
    Physical antenna adjustments when switching bands
    Other problems:
    Wife worse than an HOA with regard to aesthetics.
    Tree to the left of the house is a weeping willow and my wife's favorite. Nothing goes in or on that tree. ;)

Lay of the land (photo below):
    - White/gray rectangle on left side of house is a foundation to an addition (now fully constructed).
    - Yellow hand drawn box is covered deck extending original deck
    - Red circle is the approximate location for the antenna I currently deploy
    - Red X is the shack location (ground floor).

I run the cable out the window using a cut-up pool noodle to cushion the cable from the closed window (slit for the cable itself) and as insulation on the top of the partially open window. Unrelated to the "problem" I used to use 16 to 24 radials (depending on lazy factor). My son's friends aren't the brightest sometimes, and they would ride dirt bikes across the radials, so I set little soccer cones at the end of each one. Let me tell you how my wife's panties drop when I set that antenna out in the front yard for all the envious neighbors to see. Now I use the "magic carpet" - 36" x 84" aluminum window screen (photo for your enjoyment below).

Bands desired:
    40, 20, 15, 10, 6.

Goal:
    More-permanent deployment that can be in year-round weather and doesn't need adjustment when swapping bands. I'd like the shack to stay where it is (my office) but may try to relocate somewhere else. Problem is my father-in-law lives in the basement and my parents live in the addition, so they are off-limits.

I'm considering a DX Commander...if I can convince the wife.
    EFHW?? Problem is where to physically deploy it
    This "HOA Buster" that uses gutters and down spouts (no shortage of those out front, but I lose 6m and probably very compromised but plus is it would have the shortest coax run)
    Simple speaker wire dipoles seem to be for one band each
    What else??

Feedline loss is a concern, so feedline type also needs to be determined and I'm not 100% against an amplifier...just more money I don't have.

View attachment 443492

View attachment 443493
    A nice crank-up tower would go very nicely on that property.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Who lives on Warfield Road near Laytonvilles Golf Course? I see an antenna coming from the house and being elevated by poles attached to fence posts on a split rail fence.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You can look up ham licenses online by location. There are most likely licensed hams closer to you than you realize.

Divr45

Feb 28, 2018
    Howard County
    The FCC DB does allow for different ways to search, including City, State and Zip.

https://www.arrl.org/fcc/search

As stated previously, you can also search by Address, City & Zip when logged into the QRZ site.
    QRZ Advanced Lookup.jpg

KC3MAV

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm looking for antenna ideas. I currently run "portable" even at home. Current set-up (when set up):
    Yaesu Ft-891 (100 Watts)
    Wolf River Coils "Sporty 40" coil and 213" telescopic whip
    50' Messi&Paoloni POTA-Flex-7 (LMR-240 before the POTA-Flex was released)

Wanting to avoid:
    tuner
    amplifier
    Displeased wife
    Physical antenna adjustments when switching bands <--an absolute

Other problems:
    Wife worse than an HOA with regard to aesthetics.
    Tree to the left of the house is a weeping willow and my wife's favorite. Nothing goes in or on that tree. ;)

Lay of the land (photo below):
    - White/gray rectangle on left side of house is a foundation to an addition (now fully constructed).
    - Yellow hand drawn box is covered deck extending original deck
    - Red circle is the approximate location for the antenna I currently deploy
    - Red X is the shack location (ground floor).

I run the cable out the window using a cut-up pool noodle to cushion the cable from the closed window (slit for the cable itself) and as insulation on the top of the partially open window. Unrelated to the "problem" I used to use 16 to 24 radials (depending on lazy factor). My son's friends aren't the brightest sometimes, and they would ride dirt bikes across the radials, so I set little soccer cones at the end of each one. Let me tell you how my wife's panties drop when I set that antenna out in the front yard for all the envious neighbors to see. Now I use the "magic carpet" - 36" x 84" aluminum window screen (photo for your enjoyment below).

Bands desired:
    40, 20, 15, 10, 6.

Goal:
    More-permanent deployment that can be in year-round weather and doesn't need adjustment when swapping bands. I'd like the shack to stay where it is (my office) but may try to relocate somewhere else. Problem is my father-in-law lives in the basement and my parents live in the addition, so they are off-limits.

I'm considering a DX Commander...if I can convince the wife.
    EFHW?? Problem is where to physically deploy it
    This "HOA Buster" that uses gutters and down spouts (no shortage of those out front, but I lose 6m and probably very compromised but plus is it would have the shortest coax run)
    Simple speaker wire dipoles seem to be for one band each
    What else??

Feedline loss is a concern, so feedline type also needs to be determined and I'm not 100% against an amplifier...just more money I don't have.

View attachment 443492

My recommendation is remove your requirement for no tuner and run an end-fed long wire out to the surrounding trees.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    My EFHW from MyAntennas.com is very wife friendly. It's a black 130' wire and people, including spouse, don't notice it if I didn't point it out to them. Currently I have it running out my second story window across the driveway than 90 degree turn down the driveway. I've communicated with people around the world with it. Eventually I want to move it to the big tree out front but need to find someone with a drone or bucket truck for placement.

I also have a BuddiStick for when someday I'll do POTA. Theoretically I shouldn't need a tuner but I can't seem to dial in the clip positions and length of radial. So I have to bring an analyzer and tuner with me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Looked up my Zip !

25 listings ( 24 humans , one Association )

I was surprised by the number of Females ! 6 recognizably female names ?

Is the hobby really 1/4 females ? ( Yeah I know , Actual Women can do any intellectual or technical pursuits they care to , etc , etc . But they otherwise seem to have only a modest representation in Electronic Geekery ).

Is my territory an anomaly ?
    Is it common for guys to arm twist the wives/ GF to get a license also for some reason?

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Looked up my Zip !

25 listings ( 24 humans , one Association )

I was surprised by the number of Females ! 6 recognizably female names ?

Is the hobby really 1/4 females ? ( Yeah I know , Actual Women can do any intellectual or technical pursuits they care to , etc , etc . But they otherwise seem to have only a modest representation in Electronic Geekery ).

Is my territory an anomaly ?
    Is it common for guys to arm twist the wives/ GF to get a license also for some reason?
    I would say less than 1/4 (just a WAG)
    Most have little interest in technology (just a fact) or not enough to inspire taking on the hobby.

Yes one of our VE's is a Professor at the Naval Academy AND heads up the resurgence of their Amateur Radio Club. She is a great person and mentor for the Midshipmen in this area

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Free Online Technician Class December 26-29

Free ONLINE Technician Ham Radio License Class!
    Dec. 26-29, 2023 (Tuesday-Thursday + optional Friday exam)
    9 a.m. - 1 p.m. PST Taught via Zoom
    Scott Rosenfeld, N7JI, ARRL Registered Instructor
    Please provide name, e-mail, and phone number.
    Email: ars.n7ji@gmail.com

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    My EFHW from MyAntennas.com is very wife friendly. It's a black 130' wire and people, including spouse, don't notice it if I didn't point it out to them. Currently I have it running out my second story window across the driveway than 90 degree turn down the driveway. I've communicated with people around the world with it. Eventually I want to move it to the big tree out front but need to find someone with a drone or bucket truck for placement.

I also have a BuddiStick for when someday I'll do POTA. Theoretically I shouldn't need a tuner but I can't seem to dial in the clip positions and length of radial. So I have to bring an analyzer and tuner with me.
    I shot an arrow into the air and if fell to earth I knew not where (but hopefully over the top of the tree where I want to string up my HAM antenna. ) w/ a string and some lead attached. Plan B, use a fishing line and a 2 oz sinker and a surf casting rig and cast away. Haul the antenna wire up the fishing messenger line.

Good luck

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I used bow and arrow, but I was going pretty high. I had to lay the string out in long zigzags of 50 feet or so beside me, so it would not cause too much drag on the arrow. I put a little rubber ball on the end of the arrow in case I overshot, and it went into the neighbors yard.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    A FREE, weekly, live, Amateur Radio Extra Class Licensing course on Zoom
    will begin on Thursday, January 18, 2024, and will run through Thursday,
    March 28. There will be 11 sessions. The three-hour sessions will
    start at 6:30 PM Eastern Time. Sessions will be recorded. Those
    attending should hold (or be studying for) the General Class Amateur
    Radio License. These are the classes that we have been holding for
    years sponsored by the National Electronics Museum. Please publicize
    this with anyone that you think would be interested. Those wishing to

Thanks.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I shot an arrow into the air and if fell to earth I knew not where (but hopefully over the top of the tree where I want to string up my HAM antenna. ) w/ a string and some lead attached. Plan B, use a fishing line and a 2 oz sinker and a surf casting rig and cast away. Haul the antenna wire up the fishing messenger line.

Good luck
    I've always had good results casting a sinker with heavy line to pull a paracord messenger, then real rope. Just be careful your sinker doesn't snap off and whack somebody. I like swiveled bell sinkers because they seem to slide more easily.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    A FREE, weekly, live, Amateur Radio Extra Class Licensing course on Zoom
    will begin on Thursday, January 18, 2024, and will run through Thursday,
    March 28. There will be 11 sessions. The three-hour sessions will
    start at 6:30 PM Eastern Time. Sessions will be recorded. Those
    attending should hold (or be studying for) the General Class Amateur
    Radio License. These are the classes that we have been holding for
    years sponsored by the National Electronics Museum. Please publicize
    this with anyone that you think would be interested. Those wishing to

Rol is an amazing teacher, I failed my first attempt at the Extra exam miserably and took his class at the Electronics Museum and aced it, you also get some really good insight on how the whole Question Pool system works as he is the Chairman of that group...I recommend his classes to anyone who might benefit....

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    The Extra question pool will change in 2024. What month does that happen?

On another note, my 17-year-old made this for me in his welding class. My most cherished present. It doesn't show well in the photo, the plaque has my callsign.

IMG_3059.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom