• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    It just recently struck me how little we watch actual cable content so I’m thinking of cutting the cord. Mostly we watch Netflix, Prime and Apple TV/iTunes rentals. I asked on our community NextDoor forum and a few people have been successful doing this despite the “complicated” topography in our area. The problem is, I can’t find anyone who does this kind of work.

I would need a largish antenna (roof is hand built, no trusses to interfere) mounted and wiring run to transmit the signal and also an in line amplifier and ability to rotate the antenna remotely. Are there companies that do this? I guess I could check with Geek Squad but thought I’d ask here first.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Why not try a cheap indoor antenna first and see if you can pick anything up. My parents have a 20 year old one inside the attic that they bought at a yardsale. I am in an apartment and just have a cheap amazon antenna near the outside wall. Both work great.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I put in my own (directional) attic antenna over 10 years ago, I pick up all Baltimore and a few DC stations, no rotor needed. Obviously you’re situation might be different depending on what stations you need, your location, and the topography around you.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Why not try a cheap indoor antenna first and see if you can pick anything up. My parents have a 20 year old one inside the attic that they bought at a yardsale. I am in an apartment and just have a cheap amazon antenna near the outside wall. Both work great.

Yeah, we did try that. Only picked up a couple things and not very clean. I think we’re in a difficult area. I am leaning towards this antenna with amp and rotator.

https://www.dennysantennaservice.net/hd-stacker-tv-antenna.html

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Another thing, when you say "complicated topography", if you mean there are trees, hills, etc. around you, you might need to resign yourself to putting up a mast-mounted antenna. Amplifiers can only do so much, there's no substitute for getting that antenna up high and free from obstructions. Even a wood & tar shingle roof is going to reduce the signal by a few dB.

Another helpful link: https://otadtv.com/factors/index.html

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    8ee44cf1673cf69aa01166d20b0b8eff.jpg
    All this antenna talk reminded me of this as a kid....

:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom