• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Anyone have experience with these? I'm looking to eventually put some glass on my .308 Howa 1500 I built with a Krieger barrel. Also want to build/buy a precision AR (BCM Mk12 upper or LaRue OBR) at some point. However with the AR I've pretty much decided I want a Trijicon Accupoint.

Just seeing what peoples experiences/opinions are with Steiner vs. comparable military-grade scopes like NF, IOR, Horus, Trijicon, etc.

I understand Steiners are expensive but I have a custom built rifle and want the best glass for it. While I don't have the room to take it out to 300, 400 yards and beyond, I hope to some day. This is a long-term project, and I understand we don't have many long-distance shooters in this area but wanted to get some input.

As always, thanks for your advice guys. :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Outstanding Glass and Construction/Repeatability.

I do tnot think hightly of Horus or IOR Optics at all. I see those things pretty consistently for non consistrency. People think its the gun/mount and it ends up being the Optic.

S&B, Swarovski, Steiner, N.F., U.S.O., Bushnell Elite Tactical, Zeiss, Leupold (Some Leupolds can be crap).

Trijicon, Nikon, Weaver, Super Sniper, Vortex ar all decent but not what I call Premium Optics.

I say get bette rglass than your budget and put it on e Q.D. Larue Mount so you can use it on other weapons. This spreads the "Cost Load" to other weapons.

I would rather havs one good scope on a Q.D. mount than 4 so-so ones.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Good point. I know the LaRue QD mounts are EXCELLENT. I didn't realize Horus or IOR were not that great, I had heard good things. But then again, I don't shoot long range and most people just regurgitate what they hear so that's why I asked. being able to move the scope around is a great idea... you can only shoot one rifle at a time anyway lol.

I appreciate your input, and I trust your advice. I will save up and get one at some point. The Trijicon Accupoint I was considering would be a 1-4x and used out to 100 yds, so I wasn't too worried about the optical clarity.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    First, you need to decide FFP vs SFP.

Then I would go one of these routes and not risk going with a relatively new scope in Steiner:

NF = excellent value, but this is a SFP scope. All of the ones I have seen are excellent
    USO = nice custom options, plus built like a tank. FFP. Heavy and not the top glass, but great CS folks and they are supporting the industry more than any other optics company.
    S&B = top choice all around, but big $'s. FFP.

Have friend with a Leupold. Great reticle in the TMR. Have heard they can be hit or miss, but the one he has is excellent. I would lean towards NF at this price point unless you really love the TMR reticle.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    S&B if you want the best. Don't overlook the Sightron S3 if you want to spend less than 1k$ and still get great glass. I'm about to get one and have been playing with one for a week now (loaner) and the glass is better than Leupld Mk4's and the NF's I've seen.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Let's say I can get a pretty good deal on this Steiner scope... and makes it affordable in my budget. I can't afford a $2000+ optic in normal situations, which is why my 1500 has never even had a base mounted to it, lol.

So is a Steiner at a substantial discount a no-brainer? Or is there something comparable under $1400 or so that will work? I was planning on a Trijicon Accupoint for the 5.56 target rifle I end up with, but wanted something with more power, clarity and durability/accuracy of adjustment on the .308 if I ever get the chance to go medium to long range with it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Let's say I can get a pretty good deal on this Steiner scope... and makes it affordable in my budget. I can't afford a $2000+ optic in normal situations, which is why my 1500 has never even had a base mounted to it, lol.

So is a Steiner at a substantial discount a no-brainer? Or is there something comparable under $1400 or so that will work? I was planning on a Trijicon Accupoint for the 5.56 target rifle I end up with, but wanted something with more power, clarity and durability/accuracy of adjustment on the .308 if I ever get the chance to go medium to long range with it.

Believe it or not this particular Bushnell Tactical 3.5-21 is pretty bad ass.
    http://swfa.com/Bushnell-35-21x50-Elite-Tactical-34mm-Rifle-Scope-P51675.aspx

FFP
    Horus Type Reticle (Great for Wind and Holdover Corrections without Dialing)
    Glass thats clear like N.F.
    Mil/Mil Adjustments
    35mm Tube
    Side Adjustment
    Lifetime Warranty

Put that bad boy on a LaRue 35mm Q.D. Mount and you can use if for the SPR and the Howa

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    If the discount is good enough that you could resell it without losing money then why not at least give it a try. Glass that good is rarely disappointing.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    If the discount is good enough that you could resell it without losing money then why not at least give it a try. Glass that good is rarely disappointing.

That's what I'm thinking, I'd like to try it out. If it doesn't fit my needs or I don't like the reticle or anything else about it I can always sell it.

I shoot pistols A LOT, and am pretty good with them. I've always shot rifles with iron sights or red-dots. Shotguns don't need optics (I don't deer hunt with rifled barrel guns or anything). It's time to try out some quality optics. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom