• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .458 Dave

Sep 10, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Strongly considering 300blk for my next build. I love how good of a suppressor host it is. I would be using this for classes but the price of ammo is turning me away, with no reloading in my future im not sure if its a viable option. I might just supress my AR9 and build another 5.56 and call it a day. Is there another caliber i should look into that is a good suppressor host and cheaper per round than 300blk? Just starting to get tired of 556 and want to head into a different direction.

Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Aside from 300BLK, and rimfire, I'd imagine 9mm and .45acp are going to be your best options.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I used to get some good prices on cases of SIG factory 300 blk subs at 2A in Jessup. Great running ammo, very clean, and I'm glad I stocked up. Might be worth checking them out. 2A Sales

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I also have found the Sig Subs to run well. I am really curious about the Hornady SubX offerings.

I would also think 9mm for cost but, I think 300 is going to be much better suppressed than blow back 9mm.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I also have found the Sig Subs to run well. I am really curious about the Hornady SubX offerings.

I would also think 9mm for cost but, I think 300 is going to be much better suppressed than blow back 9mm.

If this radial-delayed 9mm build lives up to expectations, it may give 300BLK a run for the money.

Yesterday at AGC, a guy was shooting Hanover Armory branded .300AAC and said he paid $30 for a box of 50 ($.60 per round- locally). He offered to give me some because of my dilemma. I declined but whored all his brass when he said he didn't reload.
    (My wife's cousin left all the rifle ammo in my kitchen, so we only had a PMAG of .300AAC and nothing for the other 3 rifle I brought.)

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD

9mm and 300 blkout are about the same suppressed assuming you are shooting subsonics. 9mm may even be better if you had the delayed blockback cmmg setup. The blowback action of the 9mm and the direct gas impingement gas blowing into the upper are going to be about the same. The nice thing about 9mm is that you don't get any gas in the face.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    For those concerned with cost and want to shoot blackout a lot. If you cut your own brass down, you can reload subsonics for 21-22 cents a round if you use missouri 245 grain coated bullets. I've been shooting these a TON and haven't had any problems as long as you make sure to bell the case enough to not shave the coating off. Absolutely no leading in my barrels.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There was a brief time when the 220gr SMK's were just unobtanium. I found the 225gr BTHP's from Hornady worked magnificently, and they were cheaper.

For those concerned with cost and want to shoot blackout a lot. If you cut your own brass down, you can reload subsonics for 21-22 cents a round if you use missouri 245 grain coated bullets. I've been shooting these a TON and haven't had any problems as long as you make sure to bell the case enough to not shave the coating off. Absolutely no leading in my barrels.

After finding this company, I karma'ed my .223/5.56 conversion gear on MDS. As myself and others here have attested, their brass is darn good and specs are close to perfect. For $.11 per case, I don't see a point in converting range brass anymore.
    https://rockeybrass.com/collections...ake-city-processed-brass?variant=264182562860

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    Factory stuff is down to about .33/round. Not shabby, about the same is premium 556.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/300aac-blackout

I think in a year to 18 months it will be down to maybe .25/round. Faster, I think if we manage to take suppressors off the NFA list.

literally just about to post that link lol

i bought 500rds from Octane munitions for .33 per round and all of them have ran smoothly and fairly accurately.

.458 Dave

Sep 10, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Thanks for all the replies. After some thought and conversations I think i will stick to the idea of 300. I have a line on a cheap way to start reloading and managed to find a small corner of the house to start reloading (aka my significant other says its ok :p) now im just afraid im going to get addicted into another hobby haha

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Good choice. Only other option would be 7.62×39. But the draw to 300BO is the compatibility with the .223 mag,lower and the rest. It's stupid quiet when suppressed.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Thanks for all the replies. After some thought and conversations I think i will stick to the idea of 300. I have a line on a cheap way to start reloading and managed to find a small corner of the house to start reloading (aka my significant other says its ok :p) now im just afraid im going to get addicted into another hobby haha

You will be...especially since you seem to be always looking for a another (better?) mouse trap. I can't tell you how often I conjured up new loads for the 44 Magnum. Went every way except the over 240 grain bullet loads. T'was well worth it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom