• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That *is* some fast shooting - looks like fun!

How about smoothing out different actions, I’m going to guess there’s some “tribal knowledge” out there about that.

And the new Marlins vs the old ones, things like that I’m interested in learning too...

Echo6mike, going mobile...

You can smooth out the actions on Winchester 92s and 94 buy they can not be short stroked like toggle action 60l 66l and 73s. Certain Marlins can be made short stroked with the right kit. Like half the stroke to cycle the acion. I can't do that with my Winchester92.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I don't think I need to modify anything for short-stroking, just want to have a smooth action on whatever I get.

Watching several on GB now, from 1873s to a Rossi 92 or two. Most things are going up like GB auctions do, to way more than the guns are worth, but it's fun to watch and put in a bid or two...

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I don't think I need to modify anything for short-stroking, just want to have a smooth action on whatever I get.

Watching several on GB now, from 1873s to a Rossi 92 or two. Most things are going up like GB auctions do, to way more than the guns are worth, but it's fun to watch and put in a bid or two...

Pretty much anything you see that is chambered in 38/357 will go for more than other calibers. Only the Henrys will not because they are easily obtainable. The Rossi's, Winchesters, and Marlin 357 rifles typically bring a premium price.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I might be able to shoot that fast with a single action, as long as all I had to hit was the ground :-)

Oh, you’re supposed to *hit* stuff too? I could do that and hit the target!

As long as the target was a big ole barn.

And maybe 10 yards away from me.

“Breathe, relax, aim, ... wait, whattaya mean he’s reloading already?!?!”

Echo6mike, going mobile...

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    The Rossi 92 can be smoothed up a bit with a spring kit and polishing. I did that with a 44 Mag Rossi when I started shooting CAS years ago. There are directions and vids that can be googlized. We would shoot "Side Matches"; 8 timed rounds into an 16 inch steel circle at 25 or 50 yards. That's the only CAS thing I ever won at. I don't miss set up and tear down.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have lever guns for a specific application, SASS. When I started SASS, I had a Winchester 94 in 45 Colt. It worked, but cycling was slow and I lost too much precious brass. I picked up an Uberti 1860 in 44-40. In stock configuration, it's slow cycling. However, the toggle action lends itself to short stroke kits, which enables faster cycling. The fast rifle shooting on this video is being done with toggle action lever guns.

promotional or discouragement, there is NO WAY i could ever get that fast?

DOes this sort of competition have different categories like Novice?

I used to do compeditive RC aircraft pattern flying and we had 4 classes of competition so that beginners could come in and get hooked. You worked your way up through the levels.

How that guy reloaded the pump shotgun was nothing short of magic.

ON the subject of lever action. I finally got my 45Colt and 38/357 for my Annaversary. For a few years I was at gun shops in MD, VA and PA looking for a used pistol caliber lever action. Several times when I asked "I"m looking for a used 38/357 lever action" the reply was "who isn't?".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Overall CAS is more friendly and laid back , and less hyper competitive than most sports .

The skills of the the top 1% are really amazing to watch.

The skills of the large masses in the middle will show that old school firearms are more capable than many people of the combat Tupperware era realize .

*\********

If you aspire to top 1% , a short stroked '73 is the hot setup.

If you aren't hyper competitive, and also want dual or more use from rifle , the '92 clones and modern Marlins can be reasonably smooth , and way stronger , ie capable of using way hotter ammo when desired .

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Like Bigfoot44 says, CAS is way more laid back than other competitive shooting. If you aren't fast or accurate, it's still good fun and no one will bust your chops. Just be safe and enjoy it. The camaraderie was why I did it.
    Picture 3 gun just for fun. Yes, there are the big competitions, professional shooters, and marketing, but most people just go to enjoy shooting older style weapons with friends.
    You can find SASS rules here:http://www.sassnet.com/ SASS has rules, but the emphasis is more on B Westerns than reality. Think Roy Rodgers. They have a category that allows 1911s and Broomhandle Mausers too!
    NCOWS is more serious about historical correctness, though they are misguided about the invention of belt loops, but that's another book.
    http://ncows.com/

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    So, compare and contrast: Uberti Model 1866 (in .38 special), used but in v. good condition and new Henry Big Boy brass (in .357). Mechanics, operation, loading, accuracy, dependability, build quality, manufacturer support, fit & finish, convenience, anything else. Assume roughly the same price range, and that I'm not going to be looking at CAS competitions but do want a fun range gun. Maybe as a standby home defense piece, depending on length eventually purchased.

Any schematics of how each one functions internally, by the way? Animations of the 1866 action I've found, but nothing for the new model Henrys. Wondering also how powerful a round the Uberti is rated for, etc.

Thanks, y'all!

s/f

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Henry's need side loading gates.

Henry needs to lower their prices! "Made in Murica or not made at all" is expensive for what you get.

From strictly a hunting standpoint, and not self defense. Unloading a Henry at the end of a hunt is far quicker and safer than others. Undue mag cap and drop shells out, vs cycling the action and dumping each round 5 - 6 times.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would only run standard pressure rounds through any of the older Winchester designs. Even standard pressure rounds are faster out of a longer barrel.

And if you reload, try some black powder rounds. I'm using BP in my Uberti 1860 in 44-40. I don't know what's better, the smoke or the boom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom