• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gjohnsonoc

Feb 18, 2013
    OCMD
    2 part question 1st the better range out fo the two. The second is the better rifle if I go with the 308 I was looking at the Mossberg 4x4 or Savage 11? If I go with the 25 06 weatherby van or savage 116? I have pretty good prices off of grabagun just need opinions. It will be for hunting slash longer range target shooting.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    With 308 u will have a LOT more selection, availability and pricing of ammo, especially. Factory match grade ammo.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Very different calibers. Want a long range Antelope, Mule deer rifle look at the .25-06. Want to shoot steel at extended range or F-class get the .308. Also look at the Berger 115 Match Bullet in .25 caliber.

I am really considering a .25-06 for a hunt out west I have coming up next year. Going to try my 300 magnum with 150's at 3200 FPS. But if it doesn't shoot, another action rebarreled to .25-06 is a distinct possibility.

Good luck

Jerry

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Jerry, Take a good look at the 6.5mm-06. I have one and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own. Much better bullet selection than the 25-06 and really simple to load for! John Kreiger barreled it for me.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    25-06 if you would like a excellent hunting cartridge with almost no recoil.

308 if you want an excellent hunting cartridge with a wide array of availiable loads whether you hand load or not.

Both preform excellent on game.

The rifle to get Savage 116.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Jerry, Take a good look at the 6.5mm-06. I have one and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own. Much better bullet selection than the 25-06 and really simple to load for! John Kreiger barreled it for me.

Had a 6.5-06 for several years, excellent cartridge. I have a .260 Remington and 6.5 Remington Magnum with a 26 inch barrel. I love the 6.5-06, and shot it at lease three time at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge, but for a hunting rifle I consider what would happen if I lost my ammo. There is no chance of finding replacement ammo for a wildcat. There is at least some chance of finding .25-06 in 'eastbum**ck'.

Good luck

Jerry

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    .25-06 has a much better ballistic co-efficient, especially with heavier bullets, that said, there are literally hundreds of choices to go with in .308, as well as a HUGE selection of projectiles available for developing hand loads for hunting or accuracy from a particular rifle.

The .308 can truck out quite a ways, and for pretty much anything you'll be using it for it'll shine.

That said, if you're trying to punch small groups in paper at extreme range, the .25-06 is without a doubt the better choice, especially if you decide to handload and have a rifle with a strong action that will tolerate some stouter loads.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    oh and the savage 116 is a good rifle. Hell, almost any rifle Savage makes is a good rifle.

I've got a Savage Edge that's accounted for more squirrels, gophers, and assorted varmints (including coyotes on a few occasions) than I could ever count.

Every time I'd go shopping for a box of green remington .223 55 grain HPs, I'd think to myself "There's 15-20 dead varmints in this little green box, for $7.00 that's not bad"

That was when ammo was at regular prices...

Saw some good PPU brass cased for about that price not long ago...

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    Of the choices listed go with the savage; I have seen some with questionably cut rifling, crooked barrels, and generally terrible fit and finish... and regardless they were all accurate right out of the box.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    .308 is a very accurate round, but from a hunting perspective, .30-06 gives you more choice in bullets. 180 gr. and heavier bullets are possible with the Springfield round and not with the .308 Win.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I quess those shooting 208 gr AMAX bullets from .308 are mistaken? :)

I agree if you talk FACTORY ammunition.

But for a single rifle, you cannot beat .30-06 for versatility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom