• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    It's flat so it punches pretty, perfect circles in paper...which is about all .40 is good for

We all know .40 wants to be .45 when it grows up

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's flat so it punches pretty, perfect circles in paper...which is about all .40 is good for

We all know .40 wants to be .45 when it grows up

:lol: :lol2:

Pretty close chale, .40 wants to get it's balls back and become a 10mm again. ;)

Although if it wants to become a .45, that's also acceptable. :D

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    I'll just come out and say it...

I own one, soon to be two .40s. I also have two ARs, both are piston guns. Also a m1a. If that's makes me ghey, then ghey I will be!

Feels better now!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll just come out and say it...

I own one, soon to be two .40s. I also have two ARs, both are piston guns. Also a m1a. If that's makes me ghey, then ghey I will be!

Feels better now!

There's quite a few ghey people on this forum then.

I have a Beretta 96D in that manliest of calibers, .40S&W

And I also have a piston-driven AR.

So I guess that makes us super-duper ghey then. :lol2:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The original Norma 10mm loads used their premium truncated cone FMJ target or HP bullets, and a feature of the bren 10 pistol was it's "HP freindly" feeding, the same bullets were used in 40S&W development, and everyone basically copied the profile. The 41AE used flat nosed bullets to reduce OAL to fit the Jerico. 941 mags better, it heavily influenced the 40s&w too. The closer to a cylinder a bullet is, the shorter it will be for a given weight of the same diameter, a long slender round nose like the 9mm tends to have wil make it longer for a given case capacity compared to a truncated cone. The Jerico, and most double stack pistols have a mag that is flat in front and back, so flat point or HP allows more case capacity for a given OAL, single stack mags tend to be rounded in the front, so the round nose profile fits fine, which is what most autoloader ammo started in. 10mm, 40S&W and 41AE are unique in that the pistols they were designed with were double stack, the Bren10, Jericho 941 and S&W 4006 pistols respectively. It's the same reason Federal/Sig Sauer used truncated cone bullets in the original 357 sig loads for the Sig 226, even though it uses the same diameter bullet as a 9X19, and there are a ton of round nosed 9mm bullets they could have used.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The M1A cancels out a LOT of that Ghey, but not all of it

That's a VERY valid point, another is his ownership of HK products, that takes his Ghey factor down a few notches as well. ;)

As a USP .45 owner, my ghey level is slightly reduced, but the beretta .40 and piston AR kinda offset the sheer bad-assness of HK ownership. :o

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    As a USP .45 owner, my ghey level is slightly reduced, but the BLAH BLAH .40 and piston BLAH BLAH kinda offset the sheer bad-assness of HK ownership. :o

I hope to join that club some day, but the ex took any play money i hope to have for quite a while, glad i snuck my XD-M in when i did

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I hope to join that club some day, but the ex took any play money i hope to have for quite a while, glad i snuck my XD-M in when i did

Ouch..., my condolences to your finances.

Bad joke of the day - A bullet is cheaper than a divorce. :innocent0

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    The .40 has a flat nose because of all the ghey bashing this form has done to it.

We have repeatedly broken the .40 cals nose that it why it is flat.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I "heard" that it was to help distinguish 9mm from .40 at a glance. No idea if that's actually the reason, or even part of it, but it makes some sense.

I can tell between either casings without seeing the markings.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom