• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Eeyore,
    Every thing's terrible
    Ok new guy. You don't know much, do you?

When PSA lets stuff get through their QA system, that shouldn't pass, but they push it out anyways, that is a big problem. Gas key screws out of spec or not torqued properly, bolts that are out of spec, carriers that are out of spec, headspace issues, alignment problems, etc... The only way you'd find out that those issues are there, is if you took it to a competent gunsmith, or had the tools yourself. PSA assembled uppers and lowers are junk. The is a reason why they have a section on ARFCOM, where they deal only with customer issues.

The PSA AR-47 was a load of junk. There is a thread on here where a member had one and it ate the feed lips of a magpul AK mag. IIRC, PSA shrugged it off.

I've gone over a PSA AR-10 and found so many issues with it I was horrified. I felt bad for my friend that bought the rifle, thinking it was a good deal, when he was saddled with a ton of problems. Numerous RMA's later, he finally had a functioning rifle.

If you like complete uppers and lowers from PSA, knock yourself out. Don't complain here when more of their stuff starts to have problems and has to be sent back.

Have fun spending money on garbage.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Daemon touched on the problems with PSA large pattern AR's. He is not exaggerating as far as my experience goes.

Their AR15's are just as bad in my experience. Had one in this weekend's Armorers Class that wouldn't close on a .223 or 5.56 Go Gauge. It's not a fluke either.

These 3 pics show what I use to determine good/bad, and to fix poorly built AR15, Blowback AR's, or Large Frame AR's.

It takes more than guesswork and a few tools to see what's wrong with stuff.

The cart has about 10k worth of tools on it and the table is all gauges and totals about 4k. All for working solely on AR's.

Attachments

• IMG_20181109_235841.jpg
      IMG_20181109_235841.jpg
      106.2 KB · Views: 156
    • IMG_20181109_235942.jpg
      IMG_20181109_235942.jpg
      90.8 KB · Views: 159
    • IMG_20181110_002508_495.jpg
      IMG_20181110_002508_495.jpg
      90.9 KB · Views: 158

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

When PSA lets stuff get through their QA system, that shouldn't pass, but they push it out anyways, that is a big problem. Gas key screws out of spec or not torqued properly, bolts that are out of spec, carriers that are out of spec, headspace issues, alignment problems, etc... The only way you'd find out that those issues are there, is if you took it to a competent gunsmith, or had the tools yourself. PSA assembled uppers and lowers are junk. The is a reason why they have a section on ARFCOM, where they deal only with customer issues.

The PSA AR-47
    was a load of junk. There is a thread on here where a member had one and it ate the feed lips of a magpul AK mag. IIRC, PSA shrugged it off.

I've gone over a PSA AR-10 and found so many issues with it I was horrified. I felt bad for my friend that bought the rifle, thinking it was a good deal, when he was saddled with a ton of problems. Numerous RMA's later, he finally had a functioning rifle.

If you like complete uppers and lowers from PSA, knock yourself out. Don't complain here when more of their stuff starts to have problems and has to be sent back.

Do you mean the KS-47 ? That was a nightmare too

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

The PSA AR-47 was a load of junk. There is a thread on here where a member had one and it ate the feed lips of a magpul AK mag. IIRC, PSA shrugged it off.

That's because they let their customers to all the QC for them to save money IMO.

when the customer has already bought something, palmetto has already gotten their money and when the customer brings up issues, they get their QC down free of charge.

Great business plan isn't it?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I took in a PSA AR10 for next to nothing. The seller couldn't get it to cycle properly, FTF, FTE among other things. Seems PSA replaced the buffer spring with something akin to a ballpoint pen spring and an AR15 lightweight buffer. I found the gas tube port with slag or something hard in it. Drilled it out to proper diameter, added a Wolff Spring and a HD buffer. The thing is as good as any other AR that I own.

Don't be afraid to pick up one from a disgruntled seller. With some time and money, they can be made to shoot well.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Daemon touched on the problems with PSA large pattern AR's. He is not exaggerating as far as my experience goes.

Their AR15's are just as bad in my experience. Had one in this weekend's Armorers Class that wouldn't close on a .223 or 5.56 Go Gauge. It's not a fluke either.

These 3 pics show what I use to determine good/bad, and to fix poorly built AR15, Blowback AR's, or Large Frame AR's.

It takes more than guesswork and a few tools to see what's wrong with stuff.

The cart has about 10k worth of tools on it and the table is all gauges and totals about 4k. All for working solely on AR's.

Thanks, my friend.

Mother of god. After you bought your new place you really went all out on tools. Classroom looks awesome too.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I can't say that I have not had issues with PSA stuff because I have. I bought an A2 6.8mm upper from them. Problem it had was the rounds not cycling 100%. Rather than use PSA support I took the problem to the 68Forum. Suggestion was badly cut M4 feed ramps on the barrel. So after attacking them with a tapered stone the rifle runs like it should. I bought 2 AR-9 barrels from PSA (cheap price and LW). Problem both had was the last round at a match often getting stuck and the extractor pulling the bullet apart trying to cycle it out. Typical short cut chamber (not the only AR 9mm barrels with this issue). Had to buy a chamber reamer from Brownells to cut the rifling back. Both are OK now. Things I should not have had to do.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I took in a PSA AR10 for next to nothing. The seller couldn't get it to cycle properly, FTF, FTE among other things. Seems PSA replaced the buffer spring with something akin to a ballpoint pen spring and an AR15 lightweight buffer. I found the gas tube port with slag or something hard in it. Drilled it out to proper diameter, added a Wolff Spring and a HD buffer. The thing is as good as any other AR that I own.

Don't be afraid to pick up one from a disgruntled seller. With some time and money, they can be made to shoot well.
    The time and money part is the problem. Consumers shouldn't be doing their QC for them.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The time and money part is the problem. Consumers shouldn't be doing their QC for them.

The average consumer no, but for someone like me who dabbles in gunsmithing, I love the challenge. Take something that others can't get to work and then you fix it. Nothing like that feeling.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The average consumer no, but for someone like me who dabbles in gunsmithing, I love the challenge. Take something that others can't get to work and then you fix it. Nothing like that feeling.

My point is, how many people out there are like you and I, in the firearms world? Where we are as knowledgeable and love to tinker? Not as many as there should be. Where you and I can fix something that PSA puts out, we are in the minority of gun owners out there.

People see something for a price that is too good to be true and they buy it thinking it is is a good deal. But when it comes down to it, PSA has crappy QC and uses their consumers for the QC testing. Personally it is a bad business model. It is also a dangerous business model.

For somebody like us, a PSA can be a bargain, if we pick it up off of a disgruntled owner, because we know how to fix it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You're right, but other companies are just as bad. I sent back a S&W 3 times to get the cylinder timing corrected on a brand new gun. First time, the cleared the lead at the chamber and sent it back. Second time, they cleaned the lead again and put on a new rear sight. Finally got someone who could read the note that was included with every shipment or the RMA that they approved each time.

I know that's different than the PSA issue, but in the scheme of things, how many people would have noticed the timing was off on a brand new revolver from S&W?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks, my friend.

Mother of god. After you bought your new place you really went all out on tools. Classroom looks awesome too.

Anytime my friend.

I did go all out for the shop. I am always trying to improve my instruction and I keep a list of things I need to buy or improve. It's difficult because I'm very thrifty too so almost all of what you see my wife had to convince me to buy. She is very supportive.

SOTAR would not exist without her, and all of those who trust me to teach them.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    My point is, how many people out there are like you and I, in the firearms world? Where we are as knowledgeable and love to tinker? Not as many as there should be. Where you and I can fix something that PSA puts out, we are in the minority of gun owners out there.

People see something for a price that is too good to be true and they buy it thinking it is is a good deal. But when it comes down to it, PSA has crappy QC and uses their consumers for the QC testing. Personally it is a bad business model. It is also a dangerous business model.

For somebody like us, a PSA can be a bargain, if we pick it up off of a disgruntled owner, because we know how to fix it.

You're right. At this point I don't trust any manufacturers. I just buy parts, check them as best I can and assemble myself. Anything that will be used in a life or death situation gets a proper check up.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Anytime my friend.

I did go all out for the shop. I am always trying to improve my instruction and I keep a list of things I need to buy or improve. It's difficult because I'm very thrifty too so almost all of what you see my wife had to convince me to buy. She is very supportive.

SOTAR would not exist without her, and all of those who trust me to teach them.

Between your wife and all of us on here that believe in you and trust your teaching abilities, SOTAR will be around for a long time. Keep up the progress for SOTAR, it is a valuable resource for the shooting community as a whole, and a excellent learning environment.

One question for you. Can I rent the classroom for one night, just to have free run of all the tools? I can pay with Miltec, pizza, and soda. :lol2:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You're right. At this point I don't trust any manufacturers. I just buy parts, check them as best I can and assemble myself. Anything that will be used in a life or death situation gets a proper check up.

You aren't the only one that refuses to buy a assembled rifle. At least by building it, you can ensure things are assembled properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom