• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    Does anyone know the real value of Walther P38K ? Anywhere in our local gun shop? Thanks

Jul 1, 2012
    There's a couple of batches of serial numbers for them...
    1st production variation 500101-500500
    2nd production variation 500501-502595
    There were also 4 preproduction runs but the chances of running across one of them is unlikely.
    If it has a slide with a top cover like a standard P38 and the slide lever acts as both a safety and decocker, it's not legit.
    (the gun is really a P4 with a shortened barrel, not a P1/P38).
    For the higher prices, it needs to have the original box and paperwork. Without, $2k-ish.
    If has wear, then lower accordingly.

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    There's a couple of batches of serial numbers for them...
    1st production variation 500101-500500
    2nd production variation 500501-502595
    There were also 4 preproduction runs but the chances of running across one of them is unlikely.
    If it has a slide with a top cover like a standard P38 and the slide lever acts as both a safety and decocker, it's not legit.
    (the gun is really a P4 with a shortened barrel, not a P1/P38).
    For the higher prices, it needs to have the original box and paperwork. Without, $2k-ish.
    If has wear, then lower accordingly.

Anyone had a chance to test fire it? if yes, how do you feel, is it worth for the money?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Anyone had a chance to test fire it? if yes, how do you feel, is it worth for the money?

No, not a P-38k but, I've shot a Walther P-5 quite a few times and it was, basically, the 'improved' version of the P-38k. If you shop around on GB, you should be able to find a nice shooter-grade P-5 for around $1000. As somd_mustangs pointed-out, a legit P-38k will cost you 2-3x times that much.

c5iOawT.jpg

I love the P-5 and have had one on my shopping list for awhile.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks for all yours input

Good luck with your search and let us know how it goes. There are several Walther fans here who would love to add a P-38k to their collections, myself among them. Realistically though, I'd rather go after a P-5 or a nice P-88 for about half the price of a P-38k. I also wouldn't mind getting my hands on a minty P-4 while I'm at it.

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    Good luck with your search and let us know how it goes. There are several Walther fans here who would love to add a P-38k to their collections, myself among them. Realistically though, I'd rather go after a P-5 or a nice P-88 for about half the price of a P-38k. I also wouldn't mind getting my hands on a minty P-4 while I'm at it.

I see only model P38 in MD handgun roster, how about P38K, is it good to go or not?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    P38K is exempt from the roster since they were all made prior to 1985.

^^^^ This.

IMHO, the Walther P5 is one of the prettiest handguns ever made.

I arrived in Berlin just around the same time the Polizei finished phasing-out their P-1's/P-4's and 9x18 PP Supers for the P-5. We shared a range with them so we had a lot of opportunities to familiarize with their weapons.

The P-5 looked like it was from the future and its accuracy was absolutely superb for such a compact service pistol. I'd still love to have one.

Jul 1, 2012
    I arrived in Berlin just around the same time the Polizei finished phasing-out their P-1's/P-4's and 9x18 PP Supers for the P-5. We shared a range with them so we had a lot of opportunities to familiarize with their weapons.

The P-5 looked like it was from the future and its accuracy was absolutely superb for such a compact service pistol. I'd still love to have one.

Looks like it ejects up and left similar to the P38 which can be... interesting.
    Do you remember how that went with the P5?

The P-5 is pretty slick, like the best of PP and P38 upgraded for future.
    Takes unique mags though which aren't always easy to find (and not cheap at $80-100 not counting the aftermarket el cheapo's).
    So finding one for sale with extra mags is a plus and something to watch for.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Looks like it ejects up and left similar to the P38 which can be... interesting.
    Do you remember how that went with the P5?

The P-5 is pretty slick, like the best of PP and P38 upgraded for future.
    Takes unique mags though which aren't always easy to find (and not cheap at $80-100 not counting the aftermarket el cheapo's).
    So finding one for sale with extra mags is a plus and something to watch for.

As I recall, it did eject up and to the left just like a P-38/P-1 does but, was more consistent and robust.

If I were the OP, I'd probably go after a nice postwar P-1/P-38 and shoot the crap out of it. I see them selling for about half the price of a P-5.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    ^^^^ This.

Lucky dog, I was in Germany 83 - 86 and never saw one of these at the range I went to where there were German civilians. Never got a chance to shoot with Polizei.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    As I recall, it did eject up and to the left just like a P-38/P-1 does but, was more consistent and robust.

If I were the OP, I'd probably go after a nice postwar P-1/P-38 and shoot the crap out of it. I see them selling for about half the price of a P-5.

I brought back old LE issue P1 from Germany (circa 1985) through our Rod and Gun Club) and it was about $120 with holster. An absolute joy to shoot. Mine was mad in the 60's but I think some of the better P1's (design upgrades) were made later. These are great shooters and I think some research and shopping around will give you great results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom