• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    And here I thought this was another thread about how to make a 3% Antimony to Lead ratio.

If your going to bring it up, to bad half the posts got deleted it was classic.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=93082&highlight=shrooms
    :lol2:

I saw these growing in the woods the other day, I can't remember what they are but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they were edible. I'll have to try n find that book again.

I was told at one time that a rule of thumb was if it grows on wood it is safe to eat. Is that true?

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I was speaking to my daughter about this thread and she said she has some experience picking mushrooms with her son from the scouts. So me , her, and my grandson are going to check it out. Be fun even if we don't find any.

duckslayer56, thanks for starting this thread. I can't wait to get going with it.:)

Good luck with your searching! Really old oak trees, dead oaks and stumps are great places to look. These mushrooms are how nature decomposes old trees, so those are the best places to look. I've found most of them around trees with exposed roots.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Hey guys, I need your help identifying a mushroom. Down in Prince Frederick today, my toddler nephew decided to try chomping down one of these. Any clue what it is?

Attachments

• 20180617_222206.jpg
      20180617_222206.jpg
      136.6 KB · Views: 408
    Last edited:

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    My luck would be 30 hunters peeing on them 2 hours before I picked them .

LMAO!

Great thread. I picked about 15 lbs of Chantrelles in the woods by my deer camp a few years back. They were everywhere! Delicious!

Havent seen any since. I made sure to only take a few from each patch.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Hey guys, I need your help identifying a mushroom. Down in Prince Frederick today, my toddler nephew decided to try chomping down one of these. Any clue what it is?

The picture is hard to be sure but from the white gills and the bulbous base, I'd say its in the Amanita family. Not to freak you out but the vast majority of Amanita genus mushrooms are highly toxic, very common and these are the ones you never want to touch.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The picture is hard to be sure but from the white gills and the bulbous base, I'd say its in the Amanita family. Not to freak you out but the vast majority of Amanita genus mushrooms are highly toxic, very common and these are the ones you never want to touch.

Thanks. That's what I was kindve thinking. His dad saw him chewing on the stem, but we didn't see the cap anywhere. I'll pass on to keep an eye on him. Luckily so far he hasn't really shown any signs of being sick.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Thanks. That's what I was kindve thinking. His dad saw him chewing on the stem, but we didn't see the cap anywhere. I'll pass on to keep an eye on him. Luckily so far he hasn't really shown any signs of being sick.

I'm far from an expert, but I agree that it looks like it could be Amanita. From what I've read, it can take up to 24 hours before symptoms appear.

Here's an over-the-top article about them: http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...s_spreading_but_poisoning_can_be_treated.html

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I got skunked on morel season again, I've seen some guys finding some chanterelles lately, but haven't found any of those either. This dry weather is going to put the hurt on any mushrooms for a while so I haven't really gone out looking. Hopefully we can get some rain again soon.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    You a member? I was at meeting Tuesday.

Not a member. I can't remember who I was talking to that mentioned the group to me, was a few years back. I have done quite a bit of morel hunting, I come across various other things in the woods their website is a good reference.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    This moisture situation we have been having has resulted in these mushrooms coming up. I have not seen these before in my yard. They resemble hen of the woods which is common in my yard. This may be the white-pore chicken of the woods. I know it is growing in the weeds and not directly on wood but there are oak roots in the ground here.
    Has anyone seen this before? I will take a spore print and examine one closer tomorrow.

Attachments

• BDC0CBA7-DCE0-485F-8D65-6519870C2FEB.jpg
      BDC0CBA7-DCE0-485F-8D65-6519870C2FEB.jpg
      155.5 KB · Views: 295
    • A1B77651-471F-4818-A149-F2D6B84F682A.jpg
      A1B77651-471F-4818-A149-F2D6B84F682A.jpg
      162.2 KB · Views: 299

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    This moisture situation we have been having has resulted in these mushrooms coming up. I have not seen these before in my yard. They resemble hen of the woods which is common in my yard. This may be the white-pore chicken of the woods. I know it is growing in the weeds and not directly on wood but there are oak roots in the ground here.
    Has anyone seen this before? I will take a spore print and examine one closer tomorrow.

Probably Black staining polypore. Cut a pice and it should turn black within a few hours.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Co-workers have been grabbing a bunch of Hen Of The Woods at work this week. I might have to explore the woods myself tomorrow.

If you can go for it. I harvest a few in my yard every year. Besides being delicious I am 100% confident in Identifying them. I may conduct a search tomorrow too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom