• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    If this has been done on another thread, I apologize.
    I live in the glorious republic of Maryland, but I have several CCW's. Utah NR, VA NR, Fla NR, to name a few. When I am outside the fatherland visiting or whatever, I carry.
    As I was returning home today, after having spent the weekend with the girlfriend, stopped by NRA range to feed the addiction, and was crossing back into Maryland when this thought occurred to me:
    I'm still carrying. If I happened upon an incident where someone's life was in immediate danger, should I intervene?
    I'd like to ask members: "What would YOU do? What do you think the reaction from the police would be and how badly do you think your life would be screwed up (lawyers, court, jail, etc)?
    I'd also like some input from current or retired LEOs on what you think the consequences would be?
    Please kindly try to keep your responses constructive.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I've accidentally crossed back in still carrying and, at the first available stop, returned to "Maryland Mode".

So, I guess I haven't had cause to ponder your question.

But, I think I would do anything I could SHORT of revealing I was carrying, but if it truly came to life and limb, you do what you have to, I suppose.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    giphy.gif

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Stop, get out, retreive the firearm from the secure storage, retreive the magazine from the other secure storage, insert magazine in handgun, proceed to intervene as neccessary....:innocent0

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I'm still carrying. If I happened upon an incident where someone's life was in immediate danger, should I intervene?
    I'd like to ask members: "What would YOU do? What do you think the reaction from the police would be and how badly do you think your life would be screwed up (lawyers, court, jail, etc)?

No (and this question should've been addressed in one or more of those CCW classes you took). If you do, I can tell you exactly what would happen. Regardless of the on-scene LEO's opinion, the DA would nail your negligent non-Maryland-CCW-permit-holding-concealed-gun-carrying tail to the wall in court. And that's aside from the question of how did you know an innocent's life was in danger if you just "happened upon an incident"?

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    you may want to invest in the book by Andrew Branca, "law of self defense". i attended his presentation and well, if you don't know all of the circumstances surround the "incident" you are witnessing, you should remain the witness. if you personally are not in danger and insert yourself, say bye-bye to all your freedoms for a very long time, especially if you pull a gun.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    you may want to invest in the book by Andrew Branca, "law of self defense". i attended his presentation and well, if you don't know all of the circumstances surround the "incident" you are witnessing, you should remain the witness. if you personally are not in danger and insert yourself, say bye-bye to all your freedoms for a very long time, especially if you pull a gun [....and aren't licensed to pull it in the state you pulled it in].

:thumbsup:

Helpinghand

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 3, 2016
    MA
    People state of Ma

I live in the glorious republic of Maryland, but I have several CCW's. Utah NR, VA NR, Fla NR, to name a few. When I am outside the fatherland visiting or whatever, I carry.
    As I was returning home today, after having spent the weekend with the girlfriend, stopped by NRA range to feed the addiction, and was crossing back into Maryland when this thought occurred to me:
    I'd also like some input from current or retired LEOs on what you think the consequences would be?

Mass is not much better; We banned (1 state in the union) smoking and solved every problem that ails mankind. Do n t believe me just ask our elected over seers, They 'll tell the truth. Government has all the best people on the job. Working ,solving life challenges so we can live better lives.

:lol::lol: Everyone has cellphone just press the Panic Button. Wait for it there on the way.

When good people do nothing evil reigns!

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Good intentions...

Hell - next exit 1/2 minute...

No means No...

No matter how you think your good intentions will keep you from being charged in this state... No, you are not allowed to break the law to do it.

And if that is not good enough... Just remember who the AG of Maryland is, and don't get froshed. :nono:

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    I pull over and call 911. Defending someone else's life in Maryland with my firearm may end good for the victim. It will most certainly not end good for me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maybe it's the OP's semantics. He typed "carrying". If that's what he meant, he needs to do the Maryland Shuffle shortly before re entering Md.

If he really meant Transporting .

Without totally reigniting the endless discussion of transporting in Md, I will presume "normal" transport, with attention to security and discretion.

Never say never, someboy somewhere stumbles into statistical freak ongoing situations. If so ( use best judgement at the time ). But for typical suddenly developing criminal type situations, you probably won't be physically able to deploy in a timely and suitable manner.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Thanks for the input but I asked: What would YOU do? I know what I should or shouldn't do. I was just curious as to what others would do. Especially if people found out that you could have saved that persons life but chose not to.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Post like this make me thankful we are leaving soon.

I carried all day today. After getting to VA of course... Returning to Maryland mode lol so true... :(

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area

I always tell people regarding this and other similar type scenarios: make the decision you can live with...if you really saw a woman being attacked could you live w/ knowing your lack of action resulted in what came after? Really, its a personal call
    You could hit the assailant w/ your car if possible...you can hope theres no video surveillance and use your weapon and report that you saw the issue, stopped, accessed your firearm through combo, key, finger print, and retina scan and the assailant was still there so you loaded and intervened...

...better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6....

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    What would I do?

I am not allowed (in MD) to carry a firearm for self defense, or the defense of others outside of my home and property.
    I would obey the law as I understand it as it regards firearm transportation.
    I am not psychic, and cannot possibly know the mindset of the participants, or the background that led up to whatever situation you have imagined.
    I would most likely NOT intervene in a situation I did not fully understand with very few exceptions. One of these might be assisting a LEO in distress.
    If I did intervene, it would be without using any firearm I might have in my possession. I do have other less lethal items that may be of service in an emergency.
    I am not a hero, nor am I a coward. I live in the state of MD, where no good deed goes unpunished.
    I could call for LE as appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom