• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    This is incorrect and I would suggest you need to read the law again. The ban bits of the law exist in addition to the regulated bits. There are still regulated long guns; they just happen to all be banned, too. If the ban language is excised, the regulated language still exists.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

This is 100% true. Firearms banned from sale, transfer, and so on are still regulated.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    We'll just have to disagree.
    I'm not agreeing to disagree when you can't even be bothered to go read the law I linked to. You go quote me in the law where regulated long guns ceased to be regulated. You won't find it, because that simply didn't happen in SB281. In fact, the regulated long guns DO come into play when out of state residents move in - they need to register them.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    The likelihood of MSI getting a ruling or an injunction that huge is basically nil, IMHO. It's simply too easy to justify the non-ban bits as passing intermediate scrutiny. Maybe we'll get assault pistols back, but I suspect the old firearms regulation regime will be nearly impossible to get rid of.

Without going back and reading the entire case, the lawsuit is against assault long guns and says nothing about assault pistols. Read the footnote on page 12.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm not agreeing to disagree when you can't even be bothered to go read the law I linked to. You go quote me in the law where regulated long guns ceased to be regulated. You won't find it, because that simply didn't happen in SB281. In fact, the regulated long guns DO come into play when out of state residents move in - they need to register them.

However, there is no penalty for failure to register the regulated firearm.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Without going back and reading the entire case, the lawsuit is against assault long guns and says nothing about assault pistols. Read the footnote on page 12.
    Very good point. OTOH, if the judge rules that bans are bad, we may get a blanket ruling on all bans in the law.

However, there is no penalty for failure to register the regulated firearm.
    Correct. My point was more that regulated long guns still exist in some form as simply regulated, even today.

They also can come into play through inheritance.
    Missed that one. :)

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Not only a kick in their nads, but also Bloomberg's nads because Dr. Daniel Webster's credibility has been called into question for his cursory reference to a non-existent expert opinion while testifying in front of the MD legislature.

I guess donating $1.1B and having the entire School of Public Health named after you doesn't necessarily buy academic rigor and honesty. :sarcasm:

^^^^THIS!!!

I thought the same thing. Also, I'd love to see Vinny's face upon reading this. Good thing it's St. Paddy's Day, have them cover for the alcohol consumption!

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Regulation of certain long guns would still exist. The reason it was not fully excised was not being smart on their side - it was because one of the options was to use the "feature tests" to expand the regulated list, instead of causing a ban. It was mostly marked up that way in the House Judiciary Committee until O'Malley, Busch and Miller made damn sure they got a "big win" on gun control.

By that time, it was too hard to excise some law and add more. Too many drafts had been made and they were barely getting what they got. Getting everything just right would have taken too long, and time was always our friend in that fight. They rammed it through and figured they'd fix it in regulation or this session. Then they lost steam as gun control turned out to be a national loser.

Keep in mind O'Malley will never be President. Neither will Malloy (CT Gov). These are relatively young politicians who could come back post-2016. But at this rate, gun control is the anchor that will sink them forever. Dems run from it nationally and will be reticent to revisit it past Hillary, especially considering that our largest growth area is in traditionally liberal demographic sets. Young and urban are more into guns than their parents, and women are the fastest growing segment. Within that group, African American Women are spiking, as well. Keep up the trend and 4-8 years from now it'll be a big deal.

The point is that more people who Dems rely on are moving toward our side of the pendulum. It doesn't need to be massive, just a noticeable trend. Politicians watch trends, and O'Malley is on the wrong side of that one.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Not only a kick in their nads, but also Bloomberg's nads because Dr. Daniel Webster's credibility has been called into question for his cursory reference to a non-existent expert opinion while testifying in front of the MD legislature.

I guess donating $1.1B and having the entire School of Public Health named after you doesn't necessarily buy academic rigor and honesty. :sarcasm:

If you had fact, logic, reason and the constitution on your side, you would not need to spend 1.1 Billion to buy a troubled institution's (formerly) good name to pimp your own version of "science".

It doesn't matter what nanny-state dream Bloomberg has, the fact is the only way it gets traction is with buckets of cash drawing attention to his causes. He doesn't quite understand politicians don't really like his ideas, all they see is the money. And even that is getting toxic in some quarters. Buying MDA for MAIG was a move to resuscitate a toxic brand (hear much from MAIG lately?). Ever hear a serious move to ban soda before Bloomberg?

Attach any label or name you want. It won't work. It's not the acronyms or the Hopkins name, it's the product they sell.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

So basically they are once again trying to mince words and say that AR's are not "common." Interesting that they would compare their numbers to "machine guns" saying that MG's aren't common. Well no shit, Sherlock, since the sale of MG's is highly restrictive and there are now a set number in circulation, of course they aren't "common."

It's also almost insulting that they state "Because the gun industry is not required to report on the quantity of firearms by model, it is impossible to say with certainty just how many assault weapons are in private hands. " in Maryland, they know exactly what this number is because every sale of previously regulated firearm goes thru the state. Plus they know that some "assault rifles" such as HBAR's, SCAR's and Tavors have been sold as cash and carry.

These idiots really insult my intelligence, and that's saying a LOT coming from an Aggie.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Double WOW!!!... and I'm just a truck driver...:rolleyes:

It doesn't seem to me that they are blasting the other court's level of scrutiny... to me, it sounded more like they were showing no matter what level of scrutiny was used, the Defendant's would still have lost their argument... JMHO... like I said... I'm just a truck driver.

Bingo.. this bill fails Rational Basis.. and we need full IS regardless..

Getting these guys on record is priceless either way.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Keep in mind O'Malley will never be President. Neither will Malloy (CT Gov). These are relatively young politicians who could come back post-2016. But at this rate, gun control is the anchor that will sink them forever. Dems run from it nationally and will be reticent to revisit it past Hillary, especially considering that our largest growth area is in traditionally liberal demographic sets. Young and urban are more into guns than their parents, and women are the fastest growing segment. Within that group, African American Women are spiking, as well. Keep up the trend and 4-8 years from now it'll be a big deal.

/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! I've held this opinion since day one of O'Malley's effort in SB281. I think Marylanders often fail to look at how big a loosing proposition gun control is on the national level. Zero constantly said he had no desire to ban any guns while campaigning, and even Kerry had his "Hutin' license" moment.

I think O'Malley lost any momentum for the Presidency he had the moment he signed this thing into law.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Thanks. I was thinking they were overcome by the new language...

Now, I am bummed out :sad20:

Even if you were correct, there would be a stay until the MGA could fix it.

I am not sure how this would play since it was a repeal of existing law it not clear to me that MSP would have the legal authority to impose the old process.

But it would be moot since no court will allow a free for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom