• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMore

Feb 23, 2008
    High Rent District
    Brownells is having a nice sale on 9mm range ammo. Saw this deal on gun.deals website.

Magtech 9mm 115gr FMJ - $164.99 shipped with code "NCS"
    Winchester USA White Box 9mm 115gr FMJ - $164.99 shipped with code "NCS"

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    One word of caution here, all ammo is NOT the same...

Be sure to consider the bullet weight, the bullet speed & the type of propellent...

Also is the bullet lead with a full metal jacket or the the bullet steel with a bi metal jacket..?

Steel Bullets are NOT allowed in Indoor Ranges...

Is the propellant one of those foreign corrosive types which an eat up your chamber..?

Is the bullet casing made from Brass or Steel.?

Different ammo takes a different amount of time & effort to clean up your rifle or hand gun...

Your aim point could be very different if the bullet weight & speed of the projectile are different...

Finally all ammo manufactures have different manufacturing standards & quality standards...

Choose wisely...

Thanks for this. Good points, all!
    I think I’m gonna be spending a LOT of money on ammo... just got my first gun chambered in 300 BLK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I buy my ammunition in parts and assemble them in my Dillon press. For the price of 1000 rounds of cheap 115gr 9mm, I can get the components for 3000 147gr 9mm ammunition. I get better ammunition tailored to my specific needs. No more $200 for 500 rounds of 147gr subsonics that are flying a 1000 fps, not the advertised 900 fps.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You can buy brass-cased 147gr subs for $200-$210 per 1000 shipped these days, ignoring the insane rebate deals you sometimes see. I also think that ignoring the time and amortized equipment costs of reloading is misleading, never mind when people omit the cost of brass entirely. You are not going to be able to retrieve your brass in more situations than some people give credit for, and the number of ranges that just let you collect everyone else's up grows smaller and smaller.

Personally, I just buy the aluminum-cased 147s at ~$175 shipped, because I shoot competition and can't hold on to my brass anyways. If I spend an hour reloading a couple hundred rounds, it STILL does not make sense for me to reload compared to the other stuff I could be doing. The economics change a lot once we start talking about shooting PRS or similar... but you ain't loading bulk ammo for that.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    ^ I'm w/ this guy. New cheap Tula 115gr is ~$150/1k shipped. *NO WAY* anyone is handloading 3k rounds of 147gr for that (would be only $0.05/rd!) I can load 147 at ~$0.12 (ignoring the brass cost but I have 5 gal buckets of it.) Once ammo prices came back down I stopped loading 9mm and 223. Still have components to do so but for now the very small premium to buy far outweighs the value of my time on the press. So I'll just keep filling 5gal buckets w/ brass to reload someday when needed again.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    ^ I'm w/ this guy. New cheap Tula 115gr is ~$150/1k shipped. *NO WAY* anyone is handloading 3k rounds of 147gr for that (would be only $0.05/rd!) I can load 147 at ~$0.12 (ignoring the brass cost but I have 5 gal buckets of it.) Once ammo prices came back down I stopped loading 9mm and 223. Still have components to do so but for now the very small premium to buy far outweighs the value of my time on the press. So I'll just keep filling 5gal buckets w/ brass to reload someday when needed again.
    Yes, I am seeing reloading items on sale at Walmart (Not in MD) in some FB groups I follow. Dies etc.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use a cronograph on the subsonic ammunition. 1000 fps is subsonic, and that's what most of them run. My loads are 870 fps. The difference is noticeable.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    I use most of the sites mentioned here including on occasion www.grabagun.com. If they have what you're looking for and it's a little bit more than another site, their $12.99 flat rate shipping on unlimited ammo can usually make up for it. Just run the numbers.

Also, some of the sketchier sites appear that way because they have a smaller infrastructure and therefore usually have smaller markups on ammo and are more eager to please, I have never been burned yet, but my CC has protections on it so I know I'm good either way. I said it in another post, if Don's Boolit Barn in Kenosha Wisconsin beats the big guy after shipping, I'll send them business all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom