• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    I'll start off by saying I've always found gun shows intimidating. I've only been to one before and it was just a tiny gun show in Annapolis MD.

Since they don't hold the Annapolis Gun show anymore, If I went to one I'm looking at a decent drive. can anyone recommend one? I was thinking about the one in Chantilly at the end of the month but I'm really only interested in C&R purchases (mostly looking for a M1917 Enfield).

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Not money. I would say York is your best bet, Chantilly has been going down hill.

Never been to Oaks.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    What's "nearby?" There's a show at Gettysburg this weekend. I'd give it even odds you'd see an M1917 rifle (:secret: some folks don't approve of calling it an "Enfield"), but you might have to come up with $900+ to bring it home. I am absolutely sure you'd see one or two at Oaks. In fact, I'm fairly certain I've seen at least one, the very same one with the very same "optimistic" price tag there before. The rifles are around, but they aren't cheap. Be wary of too good of a deal. Don't buy one with a bad (sporterized, sanded or excessively damaged) stock thinking you'll just pick up a replacement stock unless it is an absolute steal. A decent stock can run $200+ I learned this :innocent0

As to being intimidated, just be polite. Ask before you handle anything (even if everyone around you is being grabby). All the safe firearm handling rules apply. Don'tn't muzzle sweep anyone, and don't dry fire without permission. Aim at the ceiling or floor if you look through the sights.

Some vendors will negotiate a little (cash is king), some won't. If anything at all doesn't feel right, don't be afraid to set it down, say, "thank you," and walk away. It sucks leaving empty handed. Leaving screwed sucks even more.;)

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Need to go out of state for your C&R to do much good (love how md voids a FEDERAL license).

He’s asking about where to find C or R weapons, not buying them in state as a Type 3 FFL. Federal licenses apply only to interstate transactions. Maryland doesn’t void anything. But that’s a topic for another thread (and it has been discussed ad nauseam).

The Redding Auctions in Gettysburg are one of your best bets for finding decent surplus weapons. Chantilly isn’t worth the drive, IMO. I’ve never been to the York show, but I plan to go.

Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Redding is getting harder and harder to make out with good deals, due to some very aggressive buyers (mostly a couple of dealers)...

Look for the Ohio Valley Military Society shows (Show of Shows in Louisville, KY for instance but there is one coming up in PA).
    http://www.sosovms.com/
    http://www.sosovms.com/the-MAX-Show/

Lots of tables, geared toward C&R more than beef jerky and plastic stuff.

If you have specific wants, finding a reliable dealer to hunt a good example down for you might be a viable option.
    In the end it may save a lot of travel time and $$ if all yo are looking for is one or two specific items.

bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    I would define "nearby" as close enough for me to drive there, spend some time at the show, and drive back before the wife kills me for leaving her alone all day with our toddler to go look at guns...so maybe a gun show in the house next door would be nearby?

In all seriousness, maybe a maximum 2 hour drive outside Annapolis

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Can you recommend anyone who I could hire to hunt around for one?

I don't know of any local (within 30 miles) that actively hunts down firearms for people. That doesn't mean that they don't exist, but my experience is that most local folks just don't care enough or have enough time to spend any appreciable amount of time actively searching for things. There are some dealers who maintain a list of wants and will call you if and when they come into possession of or see something, but you might be waiting a long time. You might try (and visit) Bill Shawley at Collector's Corner in Fairplay, MD, and also South Carroll Sporting Goods (and Industry Partner here). I've done business with both, and they are both very good to work with. You should also contact Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms, who keeps a "wish list" for people.

Redding is getting harder and harder to make out with good deals, due to some very aggressive buyers (mostly a couple of dealers)...

Ain't that the truth. Two in particular who have deep pockets and literally bid on almost every decent C or R gun that comes up. It makes it hard for the poor man . . .. But, I will say that I lost a few rifles that went for pretty good prices because I was saving my capital for other things that I likewise didn't win . . .

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have gotten many of my best deals and finds on the outskirts of Philly and Pittsburgh. Attending sports tournaments in the fall and winter with my kids have often yielded small local shops or gun shows.
    I attended 2 oaks shows over the years and although they were HUGE, they did not have the attractive pricing I saw at the smaller shows or local shops I ran into.
    I remember a place north of Philly called Tanners where I picked up a low priced High Standard. A small 300-400 table show east of Pittsburgh yielded my matching Arasaka for $195
    I liked York (crowded) better than Harrisburg (bigger isles) but seems with big shows sometimes you have the bigger prices too.
    If you have a hole in your collection and your willing to pay a tad more for something better to fill that hole, bigger shows can pay off more.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Given the OP's needs, Chantilly would be the best bet. But if you have a C&R, GunBroker is your friend.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I’ve been to the Harrisburg C&E Show last time they were in PA. Not as big as Nations but a lot of variety, if you’re also into reloading. Next one is in December.

https://www.cegunshows.com/show-dates.html

This was going to be my suggestion.

More inconsistent, but sometimes still worthwhile is the Gettysburg Show.

The springtime MD Arms show is also pretty decent. A good mix of antique and pre WW II firearms The Easton show is pretty small, but often good for C&R hunting type firearms.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Another vote for Oaks, especially their 3-day shows, and York. York's been my favorite for C & Rs many years

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom