• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    For those of you that cast your BOOLITS, do you empty your pot every time?
    I was casting some 124 grain .356's outside this morning and all the sudden the sky got real dark real quick and I had to glove up and shove my pot in the gas grill to keep from having a boil over. I usually drain as much as possible from it after a casting session but no luck this time. I know it won't hurt it but is it easier to get it melting quicker with a big cold block in it or to place one pound and half pound ingots in to start? Lee 4-20 bottom pour.
    No real reason for asking besides I'm getting tired of browsing over all the crap with the Orlando shooting. :)

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I have the same pot and I just turn it off when I'm done, the only time I drain it out into ingot molds is if I'm changing from an alloy mix to cast pure lead slugs.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I have the same pot and I just turn it off when I'm done, the only time I drain it out into ingot molds is if I'm changing from an alloy mix to cast pure lead slugs.

Thanks, I just got caught in a quickie thunderstorm and had to cover it quickly and I had never left much more than 1/2 a pound or so in it before.:thumbsup:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    You must be young. :D

I don't cast boolits, yet. I've acquired a couple hundred pounds of already cast boolits that somebody dropped off at my sportsman's club.

A lot of 'em are .45 acp boolits that I can use, if I get a lubricator/sizer.

Couple hundred pounds, WOW, I'm envious.:drool:
    I lube with alox, I've never had any issues with it.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    if you don't empty you pot how can you be certain that you are only taking up 3% of the volume? or the amount of antimony you have to add?

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    You must be young. :D

I don't cast boolits, yet. I've acquired a couple hundred pounds of already cast boolits that somebody dropped off at my sportsman's club.

A lot of 'em are .45 acp boolits that I can use, if I get a lubricator/sizer.

might want to check those castings, you live in SO Maryland, they could have been made by SOMSHOOTS... all bad karma :lol:

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    I always thought that the pot heated faster when left full or mostly full. I never really timed it but that's how it seemed. I postulated that there was more surface area of lead in contact with the pot to transfer the heat into the lead. But I was making boolits so what would I know...

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I always thought that the pot heated faster when left full or mostly full. I never really timed it but that's how it seemed. I postulated that there was more surface area of lead in contact with the pot to transfer the heat into the lead. But I was making boolits so what would I know...

I thought I had heard that somewhere too, guess the next time I fire up the pot I'll have to time it.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Sometimes I've left lead to cool in the pot and other times I've drained it completely. No rhyme or reason. Since I haven't fired up the pot in a couple of months it's pretty full of culled boolits, range boolit pickups and a few random wheel weights I lifted from Hooligan vehicle wheels while y'all weren't watching... ;);)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Sometimes I've left lead to cool in the pot and other times I've drained it completely. No rhyme or reason. Since I haven't fired up the pot in a couple of months it's pretty full of culled boolits, range boolit pickups and a few random wheel weights I lifted from Hooligan vehicle wheels while y'all weren't watching... ;);)

No wonder my f*****g truck goes bouncing down the road.;)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Couple hundred pounds, WOW, I'm envious.:drool:
    I lube with alox, I've never had any issues with it.

Yup.
    There's a double-width milk crate just chocked full of cast boolits.
    I only got half of what was there.
    The guy lost interest in casting and said that club members could help themselves.

might want to check those castings, you live in SO Maryland, they could have been made by SOMSHOOTS... all bad karma :lol:

He wasn't a member of my sportsman's club, but, only "a certain percentage" of them would be affected, even IF they came from him.
    :innocent0

Nice play.:rofl::poke:

Doh!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I leave my pot full or mostly full as long as I am not changing alloys for the next casting session. It does melt quicker that way then adding ingots to an empty pot, but it's not that much different. I also leave a layer of beeswax on the melt when it is cooling down for storage.

I use BLL, a liquid tumble lube for uncoated boolits. It's a mix of Alox and Johnsons liquid wax. It dries non tacky and works well for me. I also use HT coating and PC coating on some, mostly rifle boolits.

Never tried to cast bullets tho... :evilgrin3

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You make that alox/Johnson's mix yourself?
    Yes... It is a blend of 60% Alox and 40% Johnson's Liquid Wax. I add a little to a plastic container with the cast boolits and swirl it around to coat them all and then stand them up on a sheet of wax paper and let them dry overnight (or at least a few hours). The lube will dry all the way, only takes a very little and it works great for me!

You can heat the Alox in hot water to thin it out a bit to mix it up, makes it easier to pour in, then I just put the blend in a squirt bottle to dispense into the container with boolits.

Here is a link to the thread...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-!-!-T-L-Liquid-Lube

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom