• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    This is like a poll tax. The cost of fees to transfer rifles will hurt the poor the most. Think of the fees to tx a collection from parent to kids if each transfer has to be performed at an ffl.

According to the bill, it would not apply to transfers to immediate family.

That does not excuse the fact that SB947 is the State of MD regulating a transfer between individuals.

As others have alluded to, this is the first step in requiring total firearms registration. This coupled with the MSP announcement this week of an automated MD77R processing procedure leads me to believe the long term goal is to have all firearms registered. It is not hard to imagine using the new the new on-line procedure as a process for individuals to register private sales at some point. Again, this still does not negate the fact it is an intrusion.

I would expect many of our hunting and shotgun sports enthusiasts will be joining us in this fight.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    The best way is to defeat it before it gets out, just like any other anti's bill. If it does get out, Hogan has nothing to loose by vetoing it. Democrats own hunting rifles and shotguns too! The democrats will end up "shooting themselves in the foot" with this one due to their long standing argument that they are not trying to infringe upon the rights of hunters. If this does manage to get out and the democrats pass it, they will alienate the part of their voting base, that sat home on election day, because they were only passing "common sense" gun control laws. If Hogan fails to veto, the democrats will play like he supported a law that impacted hunters. Hogan would also loose a large amount of support from the 2A community that helped put him in office. The other side has been winning for years by incremental infringements. Allowing another incremental infringement would be another loss. I believe it is very possible that the democrats could hang themselves with this one!

Let us hope...But I think it is in Hogan's best interest is to stay away from this. The MGA should be seen as owning this in entirety. Not Hogan.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    There is a HUGE caveat in this one that makes it fail big time. Especially for hunters. I think we hold it close and let them try to pass it as is, instead of letting them see what the issue is and fix it prior to voting on it. It is because they do not know how things work with firearms and hunting. They are about to really F' the pooch with this one. I say let them do it and watch the lawsuits fly afterwards.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I say let them do it and watch the lawsuits fly afterwards.

Maybe, maybe not.

Two things, first, what are the facts (actual stats) on FTF transfers of long guns that end up used in the commission of a crime. Id' venture to say near none.

Second, why all the talk about "Fudds" and the like? You don't think this is also targeting the big stupid cluster ef that is HBARS?

You really think they aren't just cleaning up the scraps from FSA2013? People really think the legislation intended to leave out all but identical "assault" weapon, to be bought and sold cash and carry?

Hunters/Sporting shooters won't care, they'll just buy and sell guns FTF like they have the past 100 years.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    The hunters may well come out for this one.

It is time to get the word out to the hunters, occasional shooters, and those who are not as committed as we are. Here is the text of an an email I just sent and I realize it is a bit over the top but no more than the rhetoric the anti's use. Feel free to copy any or all of it for your own use. Start the phones ringing early and often in Annapolis especially from people they don't usually hear from.

I would expect many of our hunting and shotgun sports enthusiasts will be joining us in this fight.

I am "beating the drum" over on MarylandWhitetail, just like I always do.:banghead:

http://marylandwhitetail.websitetoo...hunters-7927344?pid=1290861920#post1290861920

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Maybe, maybe not.

Two things, first, what are the facts (actual stats) on FTF transfers of long guns that end up used in the commission of a crime. Id' venture to say near none.

Second, why all the talk about "Fudds" and the like? You don't think this is also targeting the big stupid cluster ef that is HBARS?

You really think they aren't just cleaning up the scraps from FSA2013? People really think the legislation intended to leave out all but identical "assault" weapon, to be bought and sold cash and carry?

Hunters/Sporting shooters won't care, they'll just buy and sell guns FTF like they have the past 100 years.

As I guess a somewhat "FUDD" and hunter safety instructor, there is a major problem with this bill. If someone from one of the orgs wants to know I can PM them, but if you put it out in the open now it is too easy for them to amend it and send it on to be passed with no recourse.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    As I guess a somewhat "FUDD" and hunter safety instructor, there is a major problem with this bill. If someone from one of the orgs wants to know I can PM them, but if you put it out in the open now it is too easy for them to amend it and send it on to be passed with no recourse.

I think a real life poll would conclude that a majority of the members here are what some consider a "Fudd". A casual gun owner/sport shooter, hunter, definitely interested in home defense and legal concealed carry.

Sadly, a few here like to try to disenfranchise gun owners, segregate them into small groups that THEY believe make sense.

Dozen or so guys, loudest, but I don't believe to be the actual majority here.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    So what's the end game for all this?

It does no good if we get parts of FSA2013 revoked; when we suddenly have to deal with whatever this ends up being named?

I would suggest focusing on hard statistics -- how much extra will it cost MSP to run this greatly expanded 77R compliance scheme? How effective will it be in it's task? But above all, emphasize COST, COST, COST.

That seems to be the only way we'll get Hogan even somewhat on board.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Isn't this what Obama just signed as an executive order anyway?

Not at all. As far as private transfers go, all he did was have the ATF re-state what was already understood.

You buying and selling guns for profit? You need a license.

Is other EOs affect the NICS and ATF, increase funding for "smart guns", and mental health reporting. That's it. Whole lot of nothing.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Doesn't seem to require a 77R, but does require a MD regulated firearms dealer. So it leaves out the FFL01's that are not MD regulated firearms dealers (there are some of those but not too many).

No registration requirement (yet) so pretty hard to enforce.

Very stiff penalty - 5 years.

Hearings 3/15 and 3/9 - save the dates!

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    FITY.

As much as I'd like to believe otherwise this will pass. I don't think 10k plus in Annapolis would change their minds. They know it'd just be us, the crazy gun nuts, not the sheeple they depend upon to stay in power there. Most of the sheeple will not even hear about this or the outcry against it. Those that do will have forgotten when their elections roll around again.

Let's just say not showing up will guarantee it.

And no way in hell will Hogan take the fall for us if we cant get our asses down there.

Why should he?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom