• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I was curious about whether or not MSP knows about legal long gun purchases I have made out of state. I assume that they have no knowledge about these purchases, but I am not sure. Does anyone know for sure if the MSP has access to purchase records that I have made out of state? Thanks

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Those records are held by the out of state FFL's and the FBI.

So unless the MSP has a way of infiltrating FBI's records or seizing the records from the out of state FFL, then no, they have no access to your purchases. The only way would be via a Judge's order.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I can't see how MSP could get copy's of your 4473's from out of state.
    They would need Md state search warrants and or subpoenas to each gun store in Pa, And then they would have to have those search warrant and or subpoenas validated in each jurisdiction by the Pa court. It would be a huge process for the State of Maryland to go through. IMHO

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    So does that mean that the FBI has a record of every firearm I have bought through the NICS system? (serial #'s etc?). Or does it mean the FBI would only have a record of the sale if they requested the information from the FFL?

Probably the former, legally should be the latter.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    As far as I know there is no way of finding out what an individual has purchased using their name. They can do a trace on a specific firearm to find out who purchased it from the end FFL.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Those records are held by the out of state FFL's and the BATFE.

So unless the MSP has a way of infiltrating BATFE's records or seizing the records from the out of state FFL, then no, they have no access to your purchases. The only way would be via a Judge's order.

Fixed it for you.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So does that mean that the FBI has a record of every firearm I have bought through the NICS system? (serial #'s etc?). Or does it mean the FBI would only have a record of the sale if they requested the information from the FFL?

The FBI has no records of any firearms sales. The NICS checks do not include any firearm information, they are a background check on a person.

So the 2nd would be the case, but they would need a search warrant to do so.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    BTW, doesn't BATFE gets notification from FFLs when a customer engages in multiple (more than one) firearms in the same transaction? Only then, BATFE would get the 4473's "real time", and not upon retirement / license forfeiture of the FFL.

And yes, I have heard the FFLs call NICS on multiple times when purchasing a weapon, and they say only "long gun or handgun" when asked by the operator doing the checks. But since the NICS check confirmation number is written on the 4473, which already has the S/N of the firearm you just purchased, it could be cross-referenced, correct, even if after the fact?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    BTW, doesn't BATFE gets notification from FFLs when a customer engages in multiple (more than one) firearms in the same transaction? Only then, BATFE would get the 4473's "real time", and not upon retirement / license forfeiture of the FFL.

And yes, I have heard the FFLs call NICS on multiple times when purchasing a weapon, and they say only "long gun or handgun" when asked by the operator doing the checks. But since the NICS check confirmation number is written on the 4473, which already has the S/N of the firearm you just purchased, it could be cross-referenced, correct, even if after the fact?

Multiple firearms purchases are done on a 3310.4 when to or more pistols or handguns, or a combination of pistols and handguns of two or more.

What could be cross referenced, the firearm purchase? All the NICS check has is Name and SSN, no firearms info, so how would the FBI use that for a cross reference?

NICS checks are only kept for 90 days I believe, and after that are scrubbed from the system unless they are part of an investigation.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As far as I remember, NICS checks must be purged prior to the next starting business day.

This info may be found on the FBI FAQ page.

Regards,

John

Sure but who says they empty their trash folder/bin?:rolleyes:

As if NSA isn't spying on FBI ... yeah, right ... bridge for sale in NYC - will post it in not firearms related

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom