• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -When I got my Winchester 1907 SL last year I was driven to pick up the rifle that it was based on: the Winchester 1903. Along the way, as I learned more about the 1903 I also discovered the model 63, which is pretty much the 1903 chambered in .22 LR. Also found that the model 63 is a hot item in the sporting rifle world. More so than the 1903 which is chambered for the older Winchester Automatic .22. Nice model 63s are now selling for nearly $1k and the deluxe models with fancy checkered furniture are in the $2K range.
    -So for the last 12 month I combed the 'net and shows for both models. Hit the jackpot in a Wisconsin auction in August when this nice 63 came up for sale. Luckily there wasn't too much competition and it became mine for hundreds under market value. She's in outstanding condition with a minor shallow crack in the stock, just below the upper tang. They're weakest here and prone to do just that. Otherwise it's pristine.
    -SN places dates it to 1950, one of 157K built from 1933 to 1958. Early 63's came in both 20 and 23 inch barrels but the 23 proved to be so popular that the shorter barrel was dropped from production. A blow back design with a 10 round tubular magazine that was fed from the cutout in the right side of the buttstock. Like the 1907, the bolt is pushed back to feed rounds via the operating sleeve at the front of the forestock.
    -The 63 also has a take-down feature for compact storage and cleaning. The take down screw is at the rear of the receiver. Just unscrew to separate the buttstock from action.
    -The 63 was so popular that in the 90s it was put back into production by the Japanese firm Miroku which, along with Winchester, was part of the FN family. And Taurus of Brazil built copies of the 63 in blued steel and SS. From what I've read the Miroku version is a peach, a reliable copy that's well built. Both Miroku and Taurus copies are out of production but easy to find on the secondary market if you want to find a nice shooter without spending $1k or more for a Winchester.
    -I'm very pleased with this sweetie and will keep up the hunt for a nice, older Model 1903 to join it.

Attachments

• IMGP8618.JPG
      IMGP8618.JPG
      16 KB · Views: 905
    • IMGP8619.JPG
      IMGP8619.JPG
      27.4 KB · Views: 1,176
    • IMGP8620.JPG
      IMGP8620.JPG
      42.7 KB · Views: 905
    • IMGP8621.JPG
      IMGP8621.JPG
      36 KB · Views: 849
    • IMGP8622.JPG
      IMGP8622.JPG
      19.1 KB · Views: 855
    • IMGP8624.JPG
      IMGP8624.JPG
      52.9 KB · Views: 895
    • IMGP8626.JPG
      IMGP8626.JPG
      55.5 KB · Views: 854
    • IMGP8627.JPG
      IMGP8627.JPG
      44.3 KB · Views: 849
    • IMGP8629.JPG
      IMGP8629.JPG
      51.1 KB · Views: 876

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Gorgeous Mawkie, you are really acquiring some wonderful early American made sporting arms, I'm jealous, congratulations.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I’ve always wondered, do you shoot any of the guns you post here or are they all safe queens?

ETA: great looking gun, once again i never knew the gun exited until you posted about it

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I’ve always wondered, do you shoot any of the guns you post here or are they all safe queens?

ETA: great looking gun, once again i never knew the gun exited until you posted about it

What I shoot the most in .22s and trainers is a well worn but fantastic Springfield 1922. Occasionally the MAS 45 gets a session as well. In centerfire it's a Finn 28/30 and a couple of Ross MKII Military Match rifles.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Gorgeous Mawkie, you are really acquiring some wonderful early American made sporting arms, I'm jealous, congratulations.

What's coming next week will will make you hate me. I've been saving coin for a Navy Luger but when I came across this item I had to break open and raid the Luger piggy bank. Just couldn't say no to a once in a lifetime opportunity. And I promise you'll love it. The dealer who packed and shipped it to me couldn't stop gushing about it. Right up your alley! I'll keep you on pins and needles until then my friend!

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Congratulations. That's a pretty rifle. Same lines as my Dad's 03 that I learned to shoot on. It still comes out once in a blue moon because we still have some 22 WAR saved up. If it was in 22 LR, I'd have it with me whenever I was at the range, because the 03/63 platform is a winner.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congratulations. That's a pretty rifle. Same lines as my Dad's 03 that I learned to shoot on. It still comes out once in a blue moon because we still have some 22 WAR saved up. If it was in 22 LR, I'd have it with me whenever I was at the range, because the 03/63 platform is a winner.

I noticed in my year long search that Aguila produces .22 WAR ammo and at $16.50 per box of 50 isn't horribly expensive. But certainly not as cheap to shoot as .22 LR. Thus the allure of the model 63. A bit of a Catch 22 since the Winnie 63 has been elevated to collector status and the Japanese clone wasn't produced for that long, a bit of a unicorn to find.
    The Taurus clones are much easier to source and sell for about half of what a nice Winnie does. Word on the street is stick to the blued version as it's reliable out of the box. Those with the SS version have had problems with feeding and ejection that require work smoothing rough edges to get them to cycle reliably.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I noticed in my year long search that Aguila produces .22 WAR ammo and at $16.50 per box of 50 isn't horribly expensive. But certainly not as cheap to shoot as .22 LR. Thus the allure of the model 63. A bit of a Catch 22 since the Winnie 63 has been elevated to collector status and the Japanese clone wasn't produced for that long, a bit of a unicorn to find.
    The Taurus clones are much easier to source and sell for about half of what a nice Winnie does. Word on the street is stick to the blued version as it's reliable out of the box. Those with the SS version have had problems with feeding and ejection that require work smoothing rough edges to get them to cycle reliably.

Bummer on the Taurus clones I passed up dozens when they were cheap and easy as I was focused on their 62s...………….that's an awesome rimfire!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Goregous rifle Mawkie. Great pics as always.

What's your secret do you use like a soft box?

I've been considering borrowing the one we have at work for a test drive. Big enough for handguns, too small for rifles. Up to now I get by with a mixture of incandescent and photographer's fluorescent lighting. Nothing beats natural lighting but you have to be fortunate enough to have access to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom