• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Hoping that a few reloaders can help me look at these. they don't appear flattened from pressure issues.. but i want a 2nd opinion.
    The cratering looks worse on camera than in person... except the one on far left, row 1... that looks bad in both.

43148706_2375835142457075_3614182531106078720_n.jpg

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'll take "slightly oversize firing pin bore/slightly undersize firing pin" for $5,000.00, Alex...

I'd not worry about it unless it starts blanking primers (perforations that follow the edge of the primer indent due to pressure).

If pressure was an issue, we'd see more flattening and the edges of the primer would lose that radius.

If this is from an AR-15, I'd swap out firing pins. You can even see the tip defect in the bottoms of the primer dents.

Your mixed brass is going to show pressure signs at various charge weights, but the only one that looks like it is even close to operating pressure is the Wolf case 2nd from the right on the bottom row.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I'll take "slightly oversize firing pin bore/slightly undersize firing pin" for $5,000.00, Alex...

I'd not worry about it unless it starts blanking primers (perforations that follow the edge of the primer indent due to pressure).

If pressure was an issue, we'd see more flattening and the edges of the primer would lose that radius.

If this is from an AR-15, I'd swap out firing pins. You can even see the tip defect in the bottoms of the primer dents.

Your mixed brass is going to show pressure signs at various charge weights, but the only one that looks like it is even close to operating pressure is the Wolf case 2nd from the right on the bottom row.

great feedback. thanks! i've always stuck w/ the low/mid range for loading and refereed to 2+ manuals.. This was the first time i went beyond that comfort range so i wanted to validate my feelings/findings while i learn to look for pressure signs.

It was indeed a 300blk ar15. Mixing the brass was intentional this time. I wanted to see how old nato brass acted differently than wolf or Remington 223 brass.

The one you identified stuck out to me, as well as row one, far left (because of the crater) and row 3, 2nd one from the left (first full one in pic) because it seems to be flatter than the other ones.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    great feedback. thanks! i've always stuck w/ the low/mid range for loading and refereed to 2+ manuals..

You don't have to load up to/over the max published load to have pressure problems.

That's not to say I disagree with Ed. To me it just looked like deep firing pin strikes.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Looks like row 1 left has a bit of an ejector mark on it, but the primer isn't flattened. Doesn't look to me like it was from that load - maybe the original factory load or someone else's.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Agreed with all. There is not listed primer, powder or bullet combination. Mixed brass!
    I see no issues, but would try another firing pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom