• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThunderGunder

Jan 1, 2013
    You would be fine making these into SBR's via form 1 because they are already BANNED Assault Long Guns. If they weren't BANNED ALG's then you would have to make sure they were longer than 29" OAL and only had one "evil" feature.

First thank you for your response, but just to be clear, I can make them in to any length SBR with as many 'evil' features as I want via form 1?

Thinking of getting the paper work going on them now...before they change their minds.

all this is just ridiculously confusing for someone with out a degree in law....which is what they obviously want.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    You would be fine making these into SBR's via form 1 because they are already BANNED Assault Long Guns. If they weren't BANNED ALG's then you would have to make sure they were longer than 29" OAL and only had one "evil" feature.

And HBAR...

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    The only new thing I take away from this bulletin is that SBRs can be considered all of the following: rifles, short-barreled rifles, and handguns. Last summer I said that was ridiculous since you can't be all three, but this is bizarre-o world afterall. Or maybe it's like the Holy Trinity, and an SBR is really three consubstantial firearms.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Frankly, this is pretty damn close to the interpretation that I expected a while ago. I was harshly ridiculed at the time. As far as I can tell, this is bad news for the new guys and a pain in the ass for dealers. Anyone who planned and spent appropriately before 10/1/13 can still do as intended, unless I'm missing something. I'll need to spend some more time on it before I'm confident.

THIS IN NOT LEGAL ADVICE

yournamehere

Feb 27, 2013
    Carroll County

I have a form 1 that was submitted last month for a .300 with a 9" barrel and OAL of 27.5. Am I good to go or am I going to have to get it above 29? Pre 10/1 lower.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a form 1 that was submitted last month for a .300 with a 9" barrel and OAL of 27.5. Am I good to go or am I going to have to get it above 29? Pre 10/1 lower.

It sure sounds like you need to get it over 29". 10.5" barrel should get you there.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Frankly, this is pretty damn close to the interpretation that I expected a while ago. I was harshly ridiculed at the time. As far as I can tell, this is bad news for the new guys and a pain in the ass for dealers. Anyone who planned and spent appropriately before 10/1/13 can still do as intended, unless I'm missing something. I'll need to spend some more time on it before I'm confident.

THIS IN NOT LEGAL ADVICE

Those who never did and never intend to follow the 'laws' will do what they want too.

All these BS rulings and interpretations do is make more people who will be less inclined to follow the 'laws'.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I followed all the laws and procedures before Oct 1 and with this advisory, my SBR may now forever be in purgatory.

I have 3 form 4's that I sent out in September. Only 1 will not meet length requirements. I am going to build it when I get the stamp back. All pre-ban lowers and all the paperwork (purchase orders) was sent out before all of this infringement began.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I followed all the laws and procedures before Oct 1 and with this advisory, my SBR may now forever be in purgatory.

I got my stamp a few weeks ago. Just need to get my a$$ back in the country to pick everything up too.

I'm lucky I got the paperwork started when I did. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    So.. A short barreled rifle, must have a long barrel and it is also considered a pistol , it is regulated as a pistol,but not a copy of an ALG. I should really apply to make a shoulder fired somewhat long barreled handgun. Wtf?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So.. A short barreled rifle, must have a long barrel and it is also considered a pistol , it is regulated as a pistol,but not a copy of an ALG. I should really apply to make a shoulder fired somewhat long barreled handgun. Wtf?

I think that summed it up quite nicely.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    It really blows! I would be pretty upset in your position. But I don't think hope is lost. It could still come through for you in a number of different ways. FWIW, my guess is that it will. It may take some extra time to work out.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm not sure we've gotten confirmation about the bolded part. I still think it's bizarre they didn't mention it in the advisory.

There are at least two delegates who are drafting questions that will relate to this; we're going to make progress one way or the other.

I agree that, since my two SBRs were made from roster pistols, I can probably side-step this with "they're handguns according to MD, there's a P556 and a G17 on the roster, 77r, done". But that's not going to help everyone with like DD Mk18s or whatever.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I guess that in the bizzaro world of liberal thinking. Standard definitions do not apply. A short barreled RIFLE is actually a pistol. The purpose to SBR is to shorten a rifle. But in Maryland, it also must be longer than 29" so that it becomes a Long Gun. If it is a copy of an Assault Long Gun( ALG) it is banned.

Maybe they should just say that any firearm that fires bullets and looks scary is an Assault Long Gun or a Pistol. Its either banned or highly regulated. onlt the Police and Military should have it.

In DC.. Semi auto pistols with mag capacities greater than 10 rounds are considered" Machineguns"

Why does the government get a waiver to be STUPID?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom