• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Timely post. I'm mostly an xps 2 or 3 kinda guy (I have 3 of them). I recently ordered a 512 (to have some battery diversity) and I am pleasantly surprised at how small it is (I just installed it on my AUG 10 minutes ago). I always thought they were much bulkier. I would say xps only because it's going on an SBR and you may need the rail space for other stuff. The 512 does have a larger footprint on the rail, which you may find limiting depending on your setup.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Eotechs are good optics regardless of the hate they get... Pick either and you’ll be happy (coming from someone who has several). I concur with the previous, for SBR I’d go smaller footprint and xps/exps but if you don’t need small, pick what you want.. I wouldn’t overthink this...

As for the magnifier, i have one and surprisingly I go back and forth on my SBR (primarily because of the added weight). Normally the magnifier sits on the top of my safe...

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Holes' post triggered another thought...the controls on the 512 are on the back rather than the side. Doesn't matter to me, but some guys that run a magnifier 24x7 behind their optic prefer the side controls. Picking nits IMO, but it may matter more to you.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Any chance you'd consider the 518?

The 1/3 co-witness, QD capability, and side-biased controls of the EXPS line combined with the common battery usage (AA) of the 512 line. This one is the 518-2, so it has 2 aiming points for range estimation.

rChF8ON.png

I run a 512 on my Tavor though:

Rfv1MmN.jpg

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Battery choices
    Battery life
    Price

XPS2
    Smaller profile
    Slightly less weight (2.5 oz.)

If you have rail space then shouldn't matter.

I can still reach brightness buttons with gloves and magnifier placed directly behind. Only change setting when outdoors. They go back to indoor setting afterwards.

Are you going to pair a magnifier?

I'm waiting on the G45 myself. 3X is okay but 5X is better at 200 yd.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Never a problem with my XPS2-- can't go wrong with either I guess. Comes down to aesthetics and control functions

Attachments

• 1F6C2677-A3BB-4129-ABBF-E7FA1C6BA831.jpg
      1F6C2677-A3BB-4129-ABBF-E7FA1C6BA831.jpg
      67 KB · Views: 335

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    Neither if you have an astigmatism... Fuzzy reticles to you. Look into Holosun HS510C for clear/crisp reticle if you have astigmatism eyeballs.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    I use EoT almost exclusively because I have astigmatism - many people with astigmatism prefer it. The reticle is like a dot-matrix but it's not distorted. A traditional red dot, regardless of manufacture looks like a cluster of comets to me.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I use EoT almost exclusively because I have astigmatism - many people with astigmatism prefer it. The reticle is like a dot-matrix but it's not distorted. A traditional red dot, regardless of manufacture looks like a cluster of comets to me.

I always thought that holographic sights like the EOTech, as well as prism sights, were the best for astigmatism.

This is my understanding as well. The Holosun is less money though.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    This is my understanding as well. The Holosun is less money though.

I think Holosun makes decent stuff. I've been looking at one of the Titanium 515 or 530 models. The only downside I see is that the window is only 20mm vs 30 on the EoT.

Did you consider the Vortex UH-1? I have heard that the gen2 versions are much improved.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think Holosun makes decent stuff. I've been looking at one of the Titanium 515 or 530 models. The only downside I see is that the window is only 20mm vs 30 on the EoT.

Did you consider the Vortex UH-1? I have heard that the gen2 versions are much improved.

Nope. I just went pulled the trigger on a 512 using my Vet discount at Joe Bobs. You're probably right - but what the hell - the EO Tech is top-shelf.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Nope. I just went pulled the trigger on a 512 using my Vet discount at Joe Bobs. You're probably right - but what the hell - the EO Tech is top-shelf.

Right choice IMO. I'm always curious about other options, but keep coming back to EoT. Other than the relatively crappy battery life, it's still the best option for me at least. The few times I've strayed, I end up putting those other optics in a box for "backup" after a few range trips.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have both, I like the XPS2's smaller footprint much better. Nothing else has the huge field of view and clean/clear window. On paper the 512 has much longer battery life, but not in practice, seems they both last the same couple years with range use. AA alkaline batteries have a much shorter shelf life,, and are more prone to leak than lithium 123s, although you could get Lithium AAs too.. Have glasses/Astigmatism, and most red dots look crappy even with glasses, the EoTech looks great with glasses and a relatively crisp dot and fuzzy circle without glasses. I do have an Aimpoint PRO also, far cleaner/clearer than most cheaper red dots, almost as good as the EoTech. The Aimpoint dot looks fairly clean, but it will distort if you use too high a brightness, a little harder to pick up than EoTech's awesome reticle. The ability to leave the Aimpoint on for years vs turning it on every time is the reason I use the Aimpoint on my HD rifle, and not the EoTech.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I have two Eotechs, a E-XPS 3-0 green and an E-EXPS 3-0 red. I also have astigmatism that is not ever fully corrected. The green reticle is super super fuzzy. Unacceptably so. The red reticle is better, but still fuzzy. BUT..... if I slap on a 3X magnifier, then they are crystal clear - both of them. So they are obviously sensitive to the astigmatism.

But I mostly run Trijicon MRO HDs (released about a year ago). The Trijicon MRO HD is fantastic! It’s LED, not holographic, so the battery lasts a long time. You can leave it on full time. You can’t do that with the Eotech. So, in book, the Eotech is kind of disqualified as a home defense weapon, since figging around with those little buttons on the side of the Eotech to turn it on is one thing I don’t want to be thinking about.

The Trijicon HD has two modes - simple red dot, or like a 68 MOA circle around the red dot, and both have night vision compatible (aka super dim) modes.

But back to the original question re the Eotechs - I have come to think that the 512s etc probably still exist today only for “technical” reasons. Like certain LEO have standing purchase orders for them, and not the EXPS, so they keep them on the books. Or some agencies like that they take AAs (or was it AAAs?) and not the funky CR type battery. Otherwise, I don’t see why one would get the 512 type.

BTW, the Trijicon MRO HD takes 2032s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom